Independent on Sunday 1,163 by Poins

Posted by Simon Harris on June 10th, 2012

Simon Harris.

Nothing too challenging, or indeed thematic, for the Jubilee weekend. Rather we have a quality Sunday cryptic from Poins. The only potential sticking points for me were caused by my own wilful ignorance of all things Shakespeare, although the answers in question, namely 21dn and 24dn, fell in without too much difficulty.

1 BACKSTOP – BACK + STOP .
5 SCRAPE – [legles]S + CR + APE.
9 OPEN-EYEDO + (NEY in PEED). I hadn’t heard of Marshal Michel Ney, but the clue made things quite unambiguous.
10 ARCANE – A + (CAN in [sor]RE[nto]).
12 CURSEC + (R in USE).
13 SURRENDER – (END in SURRE[y]) + R.
14 FEEBLE – BEFF< + LE.
16 HIT LIST – HIT + LIST.
19 OBSERVE – dd.
21 STRAIN – dd.
23 CONGENIAL – (N + GENI[e]) in COAL.
25 STERNR in NETS<.
26 UPSHOT – UP + SHOT. This is “amiss” as in “what’s up?”
27 INDICATE – (INCITED A)*.
28 ENDUED – DUE in END.
29 DESERTED – (E.R. in ST) in DEED.
1 BROACHB + ROACH).
2 CHEERLESS – (E[nduranc]E + R + L) in CHESS.
3 SCENE – SENEC[a]*.
4 OVERSEE – OVER + SEE.
6 CARPENTER – CARP + ENTER.
7 AWARDA + WA[s] + R[ichmon]D.
8 EXECRATE – (E + C + RAT) in EXE.
11 ARCH – [an]ARCH[ist].
15 BARGEPOLE – BARGE + POLE.
17 ITINERANT – this looks like a slightly complex anagram, and all the letters are there, but I can’t quite make it work: Travelling in it to north-eastern Iran without a hint of trouble.
18 CONCLUDE – CON + ([dea]D in CLUE).
20 EMITM in TIE<.
21 SILENCE – (L + E[xtra]) in SINCE. Apparently Hamlet’s last words were “the rest is silence.”
22 INTENDI + NT + END.
24 NOSEDOS in NED. NED is from Edward Poins, apparently a character from Henry IV.
25 SNIPE – (IN< + P) in SE.

5 Responses to “Independent on Sunday 1,163 by Poins”

1. nmsindy says:

I think the ‘without’ indicates containment, Simon. so it’s t in (it NE Iran)*, I think. Favourite clue, CONCLUDE.

2. Wanderer says:

Thanks Simon and Poins.

My own justification of 17 doesn’t involve an anagram (and so is probably wrong). I read ‘north-eastern Iran without’ to mean IRAN outside (without) NE, giving is INERAN. Before that we have IT from the clue, and following that we have T (‘a hint of trouble’). So IT+INERAN+T.

I tried and failed to post a few minutes ago — it seemed to disappear into the ether. If it reappears, I apologise in advance for double-posting.

3. Dormouse says:

I only managed to get about a third of this done. But I had heard of Marshal Ney, and I’m sure he’s turned up enough times in crosswords that as soon as I saw “marshal” in the clue I was looking to see how “neY fitted in.

It was a poor weekend for me with the prize crosswords in both the Saturday and Sunday Independents, with only the Beelzebub giving me no trouble, and I nearly completed the Inquisitor, so I’m not sure what this says about my mental processes.

4. Paul B says:

I’d say you have it, Wanderer. Definition plus link word (‘in’), then IT ‘to’ (i.e. placed with) IRAN containing NE plus T(rouble). Best of all, I liked the Catholic rat.

5. nmsindy says:

I think you’d probably right, Wanderer and Paul B, but I solved it the other way thinking that ‘travelling’ was also being used as anagram indicator to give a &lit touch – yours is, I think, the more convincing explanation tho.