Posted by Pete Maclean on June 14th, 2012
Prize puzzle from the Weekend FT of June 2, 2012
This Mudd presented me with a couple of challenges, especially in the bottom-left quadrant. For example, 24A (AFTERSHAVE) took me a while. My top-rated clues here are 11A (WAGTAIL) and 7D (OVA). I also like 2D (POLTERGEIST).
1. JAPERY – PER (by means of) in JAY (bird)
4. INCHWORM – I (I) + CH[e]W (munch lacking energy) in NORM (standard practice)
10. MOLIERE – LIE (tale) in MORE (Oliver’s request). Now here’s a clue with a great Twist in it!
11. WAGTAIL – reverse clue (G is the tail of wag)
12. OPEN – double/cryptic definition (unable to write with 0 pen). Hmm, not a great clue I think.
13. RUMPY-PUMPY – RUMP (behind) + PUMP (drain) in YY (years). One correspondent told me he was unfamiliar with this term. I understand it to mean fun, normally of the sexual kind.
16. EAGLET – [b]EAGLE (heading off dog) + T[ree]
17. TAPIOCA – PI (good) in A COAT (layer) backwards. In this context, ‘pi’ is short for pious meaning good in that sense. It’s a term rarely heard in ordinary conversation but well worth remembering for crosswords.
20. VIETNAM – [so]VIET (Russian once, not so) + NAM[e] (short title)
21. ASSERT – A (a) + TRESS (hair) backwards
24. AFTERSHAVE – AFTERS (pudding) + HAVE (partake of)
25. OMEN – NEMO (captain) backwards. That’s Captain Nemo as in Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea.
27. ADDRESS – double definition
29. CONQUER – homophone (“conker”)
30. SNOWDROP – anagram of ON WORDS + P (soft)
21. CHEESY – double/cryptic definition
1. JAMBOREE – JAM (pack) + BORE (carried) + [chocolat]E
2. POLTERGEIST – anagram of GIRL SET POET
3. REED – homophone (“read”)
5. NEWSPEAK – NEWS (communication) + PEAK (top)
6. HIGH PRIEST – HI (greeting) + anagram of THE PRIGS
7. OVA – homophone (“over”)
8. MALAYA – M[oroccan] + A (a) + LAY (place above) + A (a)
9. VENUS – double definition
14. MICKEY MOUSE – double definition
15. LETTERHEAD – LETT (European) + anagram of ADHERE. ‘Lett’ is a rather archaic word for Latvian.
18. MACHISMO – MAC (Scotsman) + HIS (his) + MO (doctor)
19. STINGRAY – anagram of ISNT + GRAY (colour in the US)
22. CALAIS – reverse hidden word
23. EVICT – E (English) + VICT[or] (winner, or not)
26. INCH – [p]INCH (topping little taste)
28. DUO – reverse hidden word