Independent 8012/Tees

Posted by John on June 19th, 2012

John.

An excellent workout from Tees today. The theme is the long clue 3/22/9/20, and the unchecked letters on the left-hand and right-hand sides of the grid, which I saw fairly early in the solving process and which therefore helped, indicate this item’s two sides. I suspect that there are other references apart from 4dn, but I can’t see any despite reminding myself of the track titles. And the unchecked letters at the top and the bottom: do they have any significance?

8 SEA EAGLE — sea{l b}eagle, seal = secure, dog = beagle, lb = pound
10 {m}INSTE{r} P
11 THESAURI — thesauri may give the word ‘funds’ under the heading ‘rhino’, also ‘support’ under the heading ‘bear’ — this was hard enough anyway, but on screen the exclam looked like the letter l, so I didn’t have a chance for quite a while
12 DRAB — (bard)rev.
14 PR(EC1 P)ICED — indicating cost = priced
17 ENGAGED — 2 defs, ‘Bound by promise’ and ‘in use’
18 GLYCINE — (g nicely)*
21 OP(ALE SC)EN T
23 U IST — ‘is taken from German’ is ‘ist’
24 NO ON TIME
27 RE(B)RE W
29 EYE LET
30 OSTINATO — (in Tosca – c)* to

1 MEAN — 2 defs I think, although I’m not absolutely sure since they both seem a bit vague to me: mean in the sense of average, so sort of common, aim = intention = what one means — probably Tees had in mind something a bit better than this
2 VERT E BRA — bra = supporter of Bristol, rhyming slang
3/22/9/19 SGT PEPPER’S LONELY HEARTS CLUB BAND — (p p best Canterbury songs helped all)*, and this was a ground-breaking work
4 B EAT LES{s} — the performers of the preceding answer, in case you didn’t know; even I did
5 SHOE — I can’t see this: it seems to be a CD, where the last thing you take off when you are undressing is your shoe (surely not, don’t most people take their shoes off quite early?) — is it a nudge in the direction of ‘Old Brown Shoe’ by the Beatles, which wasn’t on the album given here? — probably not
6 SALAMI — (I’m alas)rev.
7 STIR — 2 defs — you can stir tea, but to stir is to cause a more significant upset
13 RUN-UP — 2 defs
15 I’LL ITERATE
16 (t)ENNIS — referring to Jessica Ennis, who is the World Champion in the Heptathlon and soon one hopes the Olympic champion
20 DEVELOP — Eve in (p old)rev. — and yes it is the correct part of speech — develop is a verb, as is result
25 ON{l}Y X — only = at most, which is I think OK but if stretched I’d find it hard to give a sentence where ‘only’ could be replaced by ‘at most’
26 IO TA
28 EATS — (tea)* s

14 Responses to “Independent 8012/Tees”

1. Paulwaver says:

Thanks Tees and John. I think 5d could be the (cobblers) last item, and you take off your shoes at the end of the day.

2. Paulwaver says:

After further thought could 1d be (“common” = “mean” = “of low value” cf. Chambers defs.)

3. Thomas99 says:

Yes, quite a work out. Thanks for the blog.
    Re 1d aim = mean as a verb, as in I aim to/mean to do something, and as Paulwaver says, mean also means common in the (slightly rude) sense of inferior, low etc. “No mean feat” is probably the most popular use for it in that sense.
    We’ve had a run of clues like 11a but that didn’t help me – had me stuck for ages. Enjoyed it immensely when I finally understood.
    Also agree with Paulwaver about the shoe being the thing that goes on a last, therefore “last thing”.

Thanks, John.

This was hard. Whenever I open up a puzzle that has a thirty-letter anagram in it, my first reaction is usually ‘oh no, not one of these’. This just about redeemed itself, but I needed the majority of the rest of the clues before I could work out what it was from the enumeration. And yes, I know BEATLES was next to it, but ‘ground-breaking work’ could be a great many things.

I did like THESAURI and UIST, and while INSTEP is clever, it’s perhaps an [IN]STEP too far for a daily cryptic.

There is a further nina in the second unchecked row from the bottom, where Tees is singing the praises of his alter ego. Thanks to him for the puzzle.

5. Tees says:

Not deliberately, K’s D, I can assure you! Though I might have seen and ignored it. The intentional ones are as explained by John in his excellent blog, and any o/s issues are covered in the first comments. ‘At most’ for ONLY is adverbial, according to the Tees Thesaurus, as yet, and shamefully, unpublished.

Many thanks to WR and to commenters.

6. Tees says:

… should also say that the ‘Canterbury Songs’ thing is a prog ref: bands like National Health, Caravan, Hatfield and the North, Soft Machine etc were all of that ilk. Not connected to SPLHCB, though many feel this was, inter alia, the world’s first prog album. Also pretty fed up with anagrams such as ‘try Beatles chaps’ LP – super song blend’ or ‘Crap LP by the LSD-prone Beatles’ for obvious reasons.

7. crypticsue says:

A tough one today. Not helped because it took me ages to spot the long anagram and I kept trying to find three letter words with a G in the middle! Thanks to Tees for making me stretch myself and to John for the blog.

8. nmsindy says:

Yes, I too found this extremely hard indeed and very much worth persisting with. The first breakthrough was to get C?U? B?N?. This led me to the long entry of which I’d very few other letters. Then I saw the possibility of SIDE ONE and SIDE TWO. Like others, I thought the THESAURI clue was brilliant. I think I read over the weekend that Paul McCartney is 70 sometime this week. Many thanks, Tees, and John, in particular for explaining SEA EAGLE where I did not see how the wordplay worked.

9. jp says:

Very clever and mostly too clever for me. I quibble with a bra being a ‘supporter AT Bristol’ – it’s surely a supporter of which would work as well. I don’t see ‘develop’ and ‘result’as similes.

Thanks, John, for the blog – and Tees for a tough and enjoyable puzzle. [It goes without saying that I didn't see the Ninas.]

jp@9 – surely there was a typo at 2dn? I read it as John did: ‘supporter *of* Bristol – makes far more sense, both for surface and wordplay?

11. Dormouse says:

Almost total defeat for me. Got just a handful of answers (and the long anagram wasn’t one of them).

12. Bertandjoyce says:

Good fun from Tees this evening. It took a while to work out the long anagram although actually we never did write all the letters down. We missed the relevance of te Beatles until we worked out 19d and the rest followed.

Thanks for explaining 11ac and 5d, John. We really would have had a hard day’s night without your Help!

Thanks also to Tees obviously – for please, pleasing us!

We’ll let it be for now and get some sleep.

13. flashling says:

I got Sgt Peppers etc remarkably quickly, just one of those things, although last time I saw that answer clued I didn’t and was sitting somewhat shell shocked at my first S&B sitting between Eimi and the late lamented Mike Laws (who’d set it and was surprised that I didn’t know “that old chestnut”)
    (Good lord was he apopoleptic when he saw I’d done a suduko) Saw the Neo in the grid and assumed it was deliberate, but no.

Gosh tho’ this was hard to finish, some of the 4 letter words being the worst, least of all the ones in my head.

Cheers John FTB/PB got there in the end. Even if start and finish was several hours apart due to sleep in the middle.

14. Bazza says:

It’s tough doing the Indy here in Adelaide. The local paper doesn’t include the name of the setter, so 15dn was very much a guess on my part. Plus, it wasn’t printed until July 10th, so McCartney’s 70th was all but forgotten. One totally failed to see the Sides two.