Posted by Ringo on July 5th, 2012
The theme at 14ac. took me a little time to crack, and even once I’d got it this was by no means plain sailing. Perhaps I’m just a bit rusty. But it was an excellent puzzle, full of variety, even if there were no stand-out zingers.
1. AMBERGRIS Amber [gem - see 14ac.] + (reachin)g + reversal of sir [address]
6, 24. PEARL HARBOUR Pearl [gem - see 14ac.] + harbour [hide] – pedants will note that the correct spelling is Pearl Harbor
9. MINISUB Reversal of business with ness [head] replaced by nim [mathematical game]
10. ARREARS Cryptic definition: one who is slow to settle a bill will often be in arrears
11. D PHIL D [German] + Phil(lip) [prince, consort of Elizabeth II]
12. TOOTHLESS Double definition: indentures = in dentures, i.e. wearing false teeth
14. See 19ac.
15. EMERALD ISLE Emerald [gem - see 14ac.] + is + le(ft) to give a fanciful name for Ireland
17. DIAMOND HEAD Diamond [gem - see 14ac.] + head [top] to give a Hawaiian peak
19, 14. DODGEM DoD [US Department of Defense] + gem [valuable]
20. OUT OF SYNC Anagram of county of s(ussex)
22, 5. CORAL SEA Coral [gem] + initial letters of s(urrounds) E(ast) A(ustralian)
24. See 6ac.
26. NOTHING Anagram of on night
27. REDID Red [colourful] + ID [personality, identity]
28. TRENDIEST Dies [stamps] within Trent [river] to give ‘most in’, most fashionable
1. ARMED Hidden within lehAR MEDley
2. BINGHAM Birmingham [city] minus I [one] + RM [Royal Marine, sailor] to give the English novelist
3. RESOLVE TO Reversal of loser [failure] + veto [blackball]
4. RUBY TUESDAY Ruby [gem - see 14ac.] + Tuesday [alluding to the rhyme that tells us 'Tuesday's child is full of grace']; Ruby Tuesday was a single by the Rolling Stones
5. See 22ac.
6. PORCH Hidden in stuPOR CHarmers
7. AWAKENS Anagram of swan lake minus L [left]
8. LOSE SPEED Lose [yield] + speed [drug]
13. OPALESCENCE Opal [gem - see 14ac.] + escence [sounds like essence, meaning]
14. GODMOTHER (Cal)m within Godot [one awaited in Beckett's play] + her
16. DEDICATED Edic(t) [pronouncement] within dated [unfashionable]
18. ALTERED Anagram of related
19. DORMICE Not-very-cryptic allusion to the sleepy dormouse at the Mad Hatter’s tea-party
21,23. FLOODLIGHT Anagram of golf hold it
25. RAT Anagram of art