Financial Times Prize 14, 039 by Crux

Posted by flashling on July 5th, 2012

flashling.

Monday Prize Crossword number 14,039 by Crux

I found this considerably trickier than my previous Crux for some reason. My last FT blog for now as Sil has now returned and I now return to the subs bench. Well this month has been my first foray into FT monday  crosswords, I don’t know if it is deliberate but the multitude of DD and weakish CD type clues really don’t suit me and I spent ages thinking there must be more to this. Anyway I’ll be back I’m sure.

Across:

1 WALLCHART LARCH* in WALT (Disney), World may be displayed here
6 DOGMA Afghan DOG + M.A.
9 ROMAN No church in ROMAN(ce)
10 REEXAMINE EXAM in REINE should this be hyphenated, most dictionaries said yes but not all
11 SUPPERTIME P in SUPER TIME
12. 14 UGLY SISTERS Not very CD for characters in 3 (Cinderella)
15 LEGIBLE BIG rev in 2 * LE
17 NESTLED L(i)STENED*
19 TWOSOME TWOS ‘OME  dropping the H cockney style
20 SPIN NIPS rev
22 ESKIMO ROLL Cryptic Definition
25 EASY TERMS C Double D
26 IRISH IRIS (flag) + (englis)H
27 TREAD Hidden in theaTRE A Doddle
28 SPECTATOR Double definition
Down:
1 WARTS STRAW (poll) rev see 12, 14
2 LAMPPOSTS CD Setter=dog
3 CINDERELLA [RECALLED IN]*
4 AERATES A + E(ntertainer) + RATES
5 THERMAL THE + Right + MAL(e)
6 DRAM DRAM(a)
7 GOING GO IN + G(ates)
8 ACETYLENE [YET CLEAN E(nergy)]*
13 AGRONOMIST [A GROOM ISNT]*
16 BIOLOGIST CD
18 DESERTS DD
19 TRIESTE TRIES + TE(quila)
21 ISSUE DD
23 LEHAR H in (king) LEAR
24 STUD DD

5 Responses to “Financial Times Prize 14, 039 by Crux”

1. Rishi says:

flashling

Re your comment at 10a. I would expect ‘re-examine’ to be hyphenated. When the letter after re- is again an ‘e’, the hyphen becomes necessary, in my opinion. I don’t go with the thinking that giving the enu as (2-7) would be a dead giveaway.

2. Bamberger says:

I couldn’t get
    4d,6d
    23d Didn’t know the composer
    26a I was not aware that an iris is a flag -part of the eye or flower but not a flag.
    For 20a while I got it right I still don’t see why nips =steals.
    I stole a loaf of bread but I didn’t nip it.

3. flashling says:

Hi Bamberger nip means steal according to my dictionary but it’s not an everyday usage for me, A flag is just a type of the flower Iris, just one of those to remember.

4. deke says:

14d missing from the blog: SON G(SHE)ET

5. flashling says:

Oops indeed sorry I seem to have missed that in the write up, that’s the way I got it – thanks.