Everyman 3430 – 1 July 2012

Posted by mc_rapper67 on July 8th, 2012

mc_rapper67.

The Trafites are on a well-earned holiday this week - I trust I can be a worthy substitute…

The nice thing about blogging a puzzle is that one has to spend a bit more time delving into the definitions and wordplay – where sometimes during solving the answer jumps out from crossing letters and/or maybe a quick mental association, and some of the subtlety can be missed in moving swiftly on to the next clue.

I particularly enjoyed the DENNIS THE MENACE, THORA HIRD (classic!) and BERMUDA TRIANGLE anagrams – along with the splendid surface readings of their clues.

Both of these were ‘gettable’ from the clues, but: 1D was educational for me, as I didn’t know that a ‘Mod’ is a Gaelic literary/arts festival; and I had to check on 13D, as I am ashamed to admit I haven’t read ‘Animal Farm’ – at least not in my adult memory, I may have skimmed through it in my voracious book-devouring early school years…

All in all, an enjoyable solve and a pleasure to blog – thank-you ‘Everyman’, whoever you are, for the many years – and hopefully many more to come – of excellent puzzles.

Clue No Solution Clue Definition /
Logic/parsing
1A RESIST Oppose the others crossing island (6) Oppose /
REST (the others) around (crossing) IS (island)
4A WRITHE Correspond about hospital making one squirm (6) squirm /
WRITE (correspond) around H (hospital)
8A MAUDLIN Foolishly tearful in Oxford college, reportedly (7) Foolishly tearful /
homophone: MAUDLIN (foolishly tearful) sounds like (reportedly) Magdalen College, Oxford (as opposed to Mary Magdalene?!)
10A WIPE OUT Murder in West Indies, extremely predictable and senseless (4,3) Murder /
WI (West Indies) + PE (extreme letters of PredictablE) + OUT (senseless, unconscious)
11A DENNIS THE MENACE I’m tense, and hence upset cartoon character (6,3,6) cartoon character /
anag (i.e. upset) of I’M TENSE AND HENCE
12A LEMUR Rule changed to accommodate married primate (5) primate /
anag (i.e. changed) of RULE, around (accommodating) M (married)
14A SELECTIVE Choosy school I have, but admitting the Spanish (9) Choosy /
SECT (school) + IVE (I have, contraction), around (admitting) EL (‘the’, in Spanish)
16A PENINSULA Piece of land shot in pale sun (9) Piece of land /
anag (i.e. shot) of IN PALE SUN
17A RIDES Travels free to East Sussex, initially (5) Travels /
RID (deliver from, free from) + ES (initial letters of East Sussex)
19A BERMUDA TRIANGLE Murder at Bengali resort, a notorious danger area? (7,8) notorious danger area? /
anag (i.e. re-sort!) of MURDER AT BENGALI
22A IMAGINE Picture of one excavation in which silver’s found (7) Picture /
I (one) + MINE (excavation) around AG (Argentum, silver)
23A WHIPPET Dog bred for racing beat favourite (7) Dog bred for racing /
WHIP (beat) + PET (favourite)
24A HAMLET Poor actor allowed in play (6) Play /
HAM (bad actor) + LET (allowed)
25A IN SYNC Harmonious, bar clubs round outskirts of Sydney (2,4) Harmonious /
INN (pub, bar) + C (clubs) around SY (‘outskirts’ of SydneY)
Clue No Solution Clue Definition /
Logic/parsing
1D REMODEL Change the shape of rock festival held in the centre (7) Change the shape of /
REEL (rock, totter) around MOD (annual Highland Gaelic festival, with musical and literary competitions)
2D SPURN Reject incentive offered by knight (5) Reject /
SPUR (incentive) + N (knight, in chess) - I’ve often wondered why N – but in chess K is the King, so knight is either Kt – probably not often very useful in crosswords! - or N. (I’m not a chess player, either!)
3D SOLDIER ON Trooper willing to persevere (7,2) to persevere /
SOLDIER (trooper) + ON (willing, up for)
5D RUPEE Rugby Union fellow has no right to make a little money abroad (5) a little money abroad /
RU (Rugby Union) + PEE (peer, or fellow, without R, right)
6D THORA HIRD Actress’s horrid hat, crumpled (5,4) Actress /
anag (i.e. crumpled) of HORRID HAT
7D EXTREME Most violent end (7) (double defn) /
EXTREME can be excessive, immoderate – i.e. ‘most violent’; or the farthest or outermost in direction – i.e. the ‘end’ of something
9D NOT A SAUSAGE Nothing at all suppressed over a treatment (3,1,7) Nothing at all /
NOT A S (sat on, suppressed, turned over) + A + USAGE (treatment)
10D WHEELBARROW Small cart has to turn round by pub and bank (11) Small cart /
WHEEL (turn, on an axis) + BAR (pub) + ROW (bank, tier)
13D MANOR FARM Napoleon’s place in literature? (5,4) &lit /
Napoleon the Pig, in Orwell’s Animal Farm, not the short megalomaniacal French leader (anyway, wasn’t that Sarkozy (;+>). I believe the farm was renamed ‘Manor Farm’ towards the end of the book?
15D CARNATION Flower people following vehicle (9) Flower /
CAR (vehicle) followed by NATION (people)
16D PUBLISH One pound sent over in advance for issue (7) issue /
PUSH (advance) around BLI (I – one – plus LB – pound, all ‘sent over’)
18D SCEPTIC Infected having caught cold? One might doubt it (7) One might doubt it /
SEPTIC (infected) around (catching) C (cold)
20D UNITE Make one marry (5) (double defn) /
UNITE can mean, inter alia, both ‘make one’ and ‘marry’
21D GUPPY Fellow eating very soft fish (5) fish /
GUY (fellow) around (eating) PP (pianissimo, very softly, musical direction)

8 Responses to “Everyman 3430 – 1 July 2012”

1. Donna says:

Thank you, Everyman, for the puzzle and mc_rapper67, for the enjoyable blog. I managed to solve the entire puzzle, but a few clues gave me a bit of a tussle. At first I spelled 18 Down “Skeptic” as we do here in the States, but then quickly realized that this was an Everyman and changed the spelling to “Sceptic,” which, of course, made perfect sense! I’d never heard the expression “not a sausage” at 9 Down, but when I saw the answer heading that way, I checked it in Chambers. 13 Down confused me for a bit and my husband said that he recalled a fictional pig named Napoleon but he couldn’t remember what book it was from. I immediately thought of “Charlotte’s Web,” but that pig is named Wilbur! So I googled “fictional pig Napoleon” and then eventually stumbled upon “Animal Farm.” I knew that 6 Down was an anagram and I had all the crossing letters but realized that this was probably an actress I’d never heard of. So I kept on playing around, inserting different letters and googling them and finally I did get Thora Hird! It turns out that I had seen her on TV once or twice but didn’t know her name. So, all in all, a most entertaining and informative puzzle! Hope you all had as much fun with it as I did! “See” you next week!

2. Bamberger says:

I guessed 13d must be manor farm but had no idea why. My best guess was that some biographer of the French Napolean had named a chapter about his life on Manor Farm.
    8a the Oxford version is Magdalen -Fenbog Poly has the other spelling.

3. Davy says:

Thanks mc_rapper67 for your excellent blog and I totally agree with your assessment of this puzzle.
    I also liked IMAGINE although its construction is fairly obvious I suppose. Thanks Everyman for yet
    another very entertaining crossword. I would maintain that Everyman is not just for beginners and
    judging by the commenters, this does seem to be the case.

PS mc_rapper67 : does 67 have a special significance to you as 1967 was my favourite year when I was
    young and foolish ?. Still foolish though so no change there.

4. mc_rapper67 says:

Thanks for the feedback and comments.

Donna at #1 – a lovely exposition of the solving process…and nice to see an American being forced to spell ‘sceptic’ properly (;+>)

Bamberger at #2 – I have corrected the spelling of Magdalen College, thanks.

Davy at #3 – as far as 1967 is concerned, very significant as it was my entry in to this wonderful world…I guess my parents had been celebrating England’s win in the 1966 World Cup!…

Thanks, mc_rapper67, for a fine blog, and for stepping into the breach, dear friend.

I wouldn’t exactly describe myself as a beginner, but I always do the Everyman, because it’s invariably a sound, accessible puzzle with lots to enjoy, so I think more experienced solvers can also enjoy it.

There is usually a wide range of reference material, too, and today I was pleased to be reminded of THORA HIRD and NAPOLEON from Animal Farm, which I must have read last in ’67.

Donna, I’m not surprised you struggled with NOT A SAUSAGE – I think it’s an expression very much in British, rather than American, English. But then we Brits have to memorise all the two-letter abbreviations for your fifty states … life can be tough sometimes.

6. Robi says:

Thanks mc_rapper67 for your good blog; I needed your help to parse NOT A SAUSAGE.

Usual smooth surfaces from Everyman. I did remember Napoleon the pig from Animal Farm, but I couldn’t remember the name of the Farm [Google did oblige.]

Not sure that I should put my toe in the &lit water but isn’t MANOR FARM a cd rather than an &lit? I particularly enjoyed WHEELBARROW for the misleading use of ‘turn round.’ :)

7. Paul B says:

Re MAUDLIN, I note Everyman’s dark blue bias. Poor old Magdalene.

8. mc_rapper67 says:

Robi at #6: you may be right … at the end of the day, if I can solve it and explain it in a blog I’m happy – the classification is a technicality!

You have spurred my curiosity though, so here is one pointer, from http://www.crosswordunclued.com/2010/06/cryptic-definition-vs.html:

Here’s a quick tip to dispel the confusion.

In an &lit clue, the whole clue is both the definition and the wordplay.
    In a cryptic definition, the whole clue is only the definition. There is no separate wordplay.

Re Napoleon – I had heard an urban myth that it is still illegal in France to name a pig ‘Napoleon’, presumably at the risk of causing offence to the memory of the great little man…(?)