Independent 8029 by Quixote

Posted by NealH on July 9th, 2012

NealH.

This was just the right level to be fairly challenging to less experienced solvers, although unlikely to cause problems for the more experienced. As usual, the clues were all nicely written and the few things that people might not have come across (e.g. 13) could usually be worked out quite easily.

1 Cohort: Cot around hor[ses].
4 Alumna: Alum + Na (chemical symbol for Sodium).
10 October: Co< + to be r(ight).
11 Waspish: W(ife) + as (=when) + pish.
12 Hackneyed: Hackney (= regional London) + ed.
13 Nader: Red + an<. I hesitated over this one because Ralph Nader is probably best known as a Green Presidential candidate, but he first came to his attention for his campaigning work on unsafe motor vehicles.
14 Domino Theory: (Ooh modernity)*.
18 Round the bend: DD.
21 Ankle: An + elk<.
22 Withstand: DD (with stand = having a stand in a market).
23 Inhaler: (Her nail)*.
24 Neocons: One* + cons.
25 Motown: MOT + own.
26 Enigma: (In game)*.
1 Clothe: Lot in Che (Guevara).
2 Hi tech: Hit + E ch.
3 Robin Goodfellow: (Foreign blood)* + low.
5 Losing Hands Down: DD/CD.
6 Mail Drop: Hom of male + dr + op.
7 Ashtrays: (Trash say)*.
8 Crayfish: Cry around a + f(emale) is h(ard).
9 Awed: [M]a[n] + wed.
15 Orbiting: Completion of punching or biting.
16 Organism: (Rain + smog)*.
17 Buckshot: Bucks + hot.
19 Sarong: A r in song.
20 Odessa: Ode + SS + a.
22 Ware: DD.

7 Responses to “Independent 8029 by Quixote”

1. nmsindy says:

Yes, pleasing puzzle, about normal level of difficulty for Quixote in the Indy, I thought. Favourite clue: ROUND THE BEND. Thanks Quixote and NealH.

2. crypticsue says:

Very nice thank you Quixote and Neal. Agree with nmsindy about Round the Bend. My only real hold up was with the Domino Theory.

3. Dormouse says:

Got the top left corner quickly at my first look at the puzzle but had to put it to one side. Came back to and steadily worked through it. Had to think through most clues rather than filling things in automatically. 4ac took me a while.

Curiously, I remember Ralph Nader as a consumer champion but I’d forgotten he had been a presidential candidate.

Why is it that whenever I see “county” in a clue, I read it as “country”?

Pleasing and sound puzzle as always from Quixote, so unlikely to provoke much discussion, I fear. ROUND THE BEND was good, but I also liked ALUMNA.

5. Wil Ransome says:

As usual simple but utterly sound from Quixote. I noticed that in 25ac we had A on B = AB. Is this now accepted as fine? I never had any problem with it, but people kept saying that in an across clue A on B = BA, so became unsure.

6. Quixote says:

Thanks for all feedback, much appreciated. It is a Times convention that A on B = BA, which I naturally observe when setting for that paper. However, like Wil, I am not at all convinced by the logic of it, and use my freedom to ignore it elsewhere. Most solvers won’t notice either way. It is a curious fact that each paper and each crossword editor (and I’m no different as Church Times crossword editor) will have certain different sticking points.

7. Bertandjoyce says:

Thanks Quixote – a pleasing puzzle to start the week. Ditto about Round the Bend.

Thanks NealH for the blog.