Financial Times 14,053 by Aardvark

Posted by PeeDee on July 11th, 2012

PeeDee.

This was mostly straighforward but with just a few much harder clues thrown in to the mix.

I liked the &lits here, both comple and partial.   My favourite, though probably the easiest, was 10 across LIGHTER.  Thank you Aardvark.

Hold the mouse pointer over any clue number to read the clue.

1 GRAPHITE RAP and HIT (two strikes) in bowlinG gameE (final letters of) – definition is ‘lead’, in a pencil
5 B-SIDES BeSIDES (also) missing E=energy
10 LIGHTER anagram (what is used to make) THE GRILL (mostly) – definition is &lit (the entire clue is both the definition and the subsidiary)
11 TARNISH TAR (salt) and completioN (closing letter) with HIS* (anagram=cooking) – definition is ‘spoil’
12 ERATO bEaR tAtToOs regularly (every other letter) – Greek godess, the muse of lyric poetry
13 YATCH CLUB CLUTCH* (anagram=rubbish) in BAY (section of coast) reversed (back)
14 CAIRN TERRIER CARRIER (postman) going round INERT* (anagram=unusally) – definition is &lit, cairn terriers are yappy little dogs that get very excited when the postman calls (apologies to cairn terrier owners, I’m sure they are lovely really).
18 DISCONTINUED TUNED IN (anagram=to broadcast) following DISCO (dance music) – definition is ‘stopped’
21 IMRAN KHAN RANK (standing) with Hampshire (opening letter) in MAIN* (building=anagram) – fomer cricket captain of Pakistan
23 MURAL some of reveaL A RUMour reversed (about)
24 T S ELIOT Sonnet (primarily=first letter) in TOILET (the smallest room) reversed (reviewed
25 ESTONIA E (earth, electrical) and STONIA sounds like “stonier” (more rocky)
26 DITHER I (one, Roman numeral) in Dog Track (first letters) with HER (lady) – definition is ‘a flutter’
27 PSYCH OUT (YOUTHS PC)* jostled=anagram
1 GULLET GULL (seabird) ThE (unoccupied=no middle) reversed (upset) – part of the alimentory canal
2 AFGHAN FGH (three consecutive characters) in (caught by) AA (The Automobile Association, motorists) then N (north, bearing) – definition is ‘coat’
3 HOT POTATO (TOP HAT TOO)*
4 TERRY PRATCHETT ERR (error, blunder) in TYPe (print) almost, then (THE TRACT)* anagram=ruined – Sir Terrence David John Pratchett, English novelist. I spent ages mistakenly trying to make TYPO fit in here somewhere.
6 SPRAT Recordbreaking (source=first letter) in SPAT (quarrel)
7 DRILL BIT DRILL (training) BI (twice) on Treadmill (principally=first letter) – drill bits bore holes.
8 SCHUBERT CHUB (fish, member of school) in REST* (played=anagram) – my favourite composer.
9 STOCKTON-ON-TEES ON ON (charged, repeatedly) in (SOCKET TEST)* anagram=arranged – town in north-east England. My Chambers does not have ‘charged’ as a definition for ‘on’, I can’t think of an example usage for this. There is charge! for on!, but this does not work well in the past tense.
15 RHEUMATIC U (university) in (THE CAR I’M)* manoeuvring=anagram
16 ADMITTED MITT (hand) houseE (close to=last letter of) in ADD (tot) – definition is ‘taken to hospital’
17 ESURIENT USE (consume) reversed (travelling north, up the grid) RIEN (nothing in France) T sounds like “tea” – esurient means hungry. If one has not eaten by teatime (even in France), then one would be hungry.
19 BRONCO BRONx (US borough) with X=unknown removed then CO (officer)
20 PLIANT I (unit, one) in PLANT (factory)
22 NAIVE VIENnA* (anagram=sadly) with N=note removed

*anagram

13 Responses to “Financial Times 14,053 by Aardvark”

1. AngryVocab says:

9D, possibly charged as in a credit card?
    Eg. what card did you put the bill on? = what card was charged?

2. Brian H says:

I think that the use of the word “charged” may possibly have something to do with heraldic wording, where a “charge” is something placed over or “on” a main part of the field? The verb derives from the noun in this case.

3. Brian H says:

But seeing “Angryvocab”‘s comment above, he is probably more correct as being more 21st century than mine
    !!!!

4. PeeDee says:

Hi ANgryVocab and Brain, good ideas that I hadn’t thought of. I can’t get either to work properly though.

In heraldry charges are emblems placed on the shield. As a verb, to charge a shield is to put emblems on it, and a charged shield is one having emblems on it.

However, ‘charged’ does not mean the same as ‘on’ that I can see. “the shield is charged with emblems” makes sense, “the shield is on with emblems” doesn’t really make sense to me.

Similarly, “what card did you put the bill charged” or “what card was on” does not really make sense.

5. Pelham Barton says:

Thanks Aardvark for a pleasant crossword and PeeDee for the blog.

9dn: The best I can think of is that a battery that has been charged is working and hence on, but I am not happy with this and would welcome a better idea. I have the same problems with the suggestions in comments 1 and 2 that PeeDee has articulated in comment 4.

6. mike04 says:

Thanks for the blog, Peedee.

Pelham @5: I was thinking along similar lines. For ‘on’ as an adverb, Chambers gives:
    in or into, or allowing connection, supply, activity, operation or validity.
    “My sonic toothbrush was charged last night / My sonic toothbrush was on last night.”

Thanks Aardvark.
    STOCKTON-ON-TEES: I liked the “here” in north-east England!

7. Paul B says:

I would always say ‘on charge’ for that – insufficient data otherwise.

8. PeeDee says:

I agree, ‘on’ does not mean ‘on charge’. If someone told me their toothbrush was on all night, I would assume it was buzzing away in the bathroom, not sitting quietly on the charger.

9. Ernie says:

re 10A I took ‘to activate’ as the anagram indicator.

Thanks to PeeDee for the comprehensive blog.

10. keriothe says:

I came here hoping for an explanation of “on” but it seems to have eluded better brains than mine. The only other possibility I thought of was “drunk”, or “on the way to being drunk” as Chambers has it. I’m not in the least convinced.
    Thanks for the bog, PeeDee. With you on Schubert!

11. PeeDee says:

My best guess is that there was a misprint in 9dn, the clue should have read

“Charge repeatedly during socket test…”

12. Pelham Barton says:

SPOILER ALERT for FT 14,054 if anyone reading this has not yet done that puzzle:

Orense uses “working” = “on”. We can then possibly resolve 9dn by “charged” = “working” = “on”, and I do not think we have changed meaning when making the two-step link. Having said that, I like PeeDee’s suggestion @11 better. I should also like to support the comment by Mike@6. It is good to see “here” in a clue for a place name.

13. Pelham Barton says:

Sorry @12 I am repeating myself. I had forgotten what I had said @5 and failed to check it.