Financial Times 14,044 by Cincinnus

Posted by Pete Maclean on July 12th, 2012

Pete Maclean.

Prize puzzle from the Weekend FT of June 30, 2012

I breezed through about half of this puzzle and then got stuck for a good while before finishing it, finding the top-left quadrant in particular a bit tricky. My favourite clues are 6A (CAROB), 14A (FAT-FREE), 19A (CHAMBER) and 8D (BOY WONDER). 11A (PUERTO RICO) is also very good.

1. MANACLING – MAN (chap) + A (a) + CLING (stick)
6. CAROB – [p]AR[k] in COB (nut)
9. GRILL – G (good) + RILL (little flower)
10. FRUGALITY – GAL (girl) in FRUITY (rich)
11. PUERTO RICO – anagram of COURIER TOP
12. NERO – reverse hidden word
14. FAT-FREE – F[ood] A[lmost] T[asteless] + FREE (costing nothing)
15. EXCISED – EXCISE (duty) + D[uty]
17. RESPECT – double definition
19. CHAMBER – H (hard) in CAMBER (bank)
20. ASHY – A (adult) + SHY (retiring). ‘Ashy’ is a word I don’t recall coming across before but it seems like a word that ought to exist and I easily guessed that it did.
22. LEGISLATOR – IS (is) + L (left) together in LEGATO (flowing) + R (river)
25. HANDSHAKE – HAND (worker) + SHAKE (tremble)
26. NONET – ONE (a single set) in NT (National Trust)
27. RUDDY – RUDD (fish) + Y (yes)
28. SPEARHEAD – HE (male) in anagram of PARADES

1. MUG UP – GUM (Mug up!). So, “mug up” means to study? I do not recall hearing this expression.
2. NOISETTES – NO (number) + I (one) + SETTE[r]S (dog’s wanting right). A handy thing to keep in mind is that to want can mean to lack.
3. COLD TURKEY – COLD (arctic) + TURKEY (land)
4. IN FORCE – double definition
5. GOUACHE – GOU[d]A (cheese with no end of mould) + CHE[ese] (half of it)
6. CHAT – double definition
7. RAISE – homophone (“Ray’s”)
8. BOY WONDER – anagram of BY ONE WORD
13. OCEAN LINER – anagram of RELIANCE ON
14. FORGATHER – AT (at) + H (hospital) together in FORGER (criminal)
16. SUBSTANCE – double definition
18. TOECAPS – anagram of CAPOTES
19. CHINESE – hidden word
21. HONED – NE (point) in HOD (coal scuttle)
23. RATED – T (time) in DEAR (angel) backwards
24. I SAY – I (one) + SAY (for example)

9 Responses to “Financial Times 14,044 by Cincinnus”

1. Rishi says:

“Mug up” in the sense of “to study hard”, rather memorise just before an exam, is quite common in India. People speaking in local languages would use the phrase.

I don’t know if people in the UK (or the US) would use expressions such as “to rain cats and dogs” in everyday conversation but in India people with moderate education would.

I think that a generation going back to the time when the British were here must have heard the phrases. These have got stuck.

2. Pete Maclean says:

Hi Rishi, Thanks for the gen on ‘mug up’.

I am very familiar with the expression “to rain cats and dogs”; it was in common use in Britain in my younger days. I don’t know if it is so well known these days.

3. Bamberger says:

To mug up is a familiar expression in the UK. I’ve got an exam tomorrow so I’ll have to mug up on Tudor kings.

4. John Newman says:

Thanks Pete. Never did get ashy. Why on earth does someone have to coin a word like this when we have the perfectly good ashen?

7D is a poor clue isn’t it? 8D makes up for it.

5. Pete Maclean says:

Hi John, Yes, I agree that 7D is poor.

6. Wil Ransome says:

Good crossword as usual from Cincinnus. One quibble though, with 6ac: Central Park is not the centre of park (Park centrally is). Almost as bad as those people who clue the first word of say rhubarb as ‘first rhubarb’.

7. Wil Ransome says:

I mean letter, not word, of course.

8. Pete Maclean says:

Wil, While I am unable to find a dictionary definition that clearly supports the acceptability of ‘Central Park’ in the context, it does not feel wrong to me. By contrast, having ‘first rhubarb’ clue R feels very wrong.

9. chris harvey jp morgan says:

click here
    Christopher Harvey jp morgan, whom signed up with M.P. Morgan back in 1984, has held elderly opportunities within buyer protection, forex trading, derivatives as well as emerging markets. He ended up being recently co-head regarding Cash Composition Advisory & Options, as well as chaired the particular Popularity Danger Panel for your Expense Standard bank within The united states. Harvey will certainly report to Gaby Abdelnour, Chairman as well as Chief Executive Officer regarding M.P. Morgan Parts of asia Pacific cycles, and he will certainly become a member of the particular Parts of asia Pacific cycles Executive Panel and the Parts of asia Pacific cycles Expense Standard bank Supervision Panel.