Independent 8044 / Klingsor

Posted by Bertandjoyce on July 26th, 2012

Bertandjoyce.

A reasonably easy solve from Klingsor today although there were a couple that took us a while to parse and some good surface readings as one would expect. A couple of good misdirections as well!

12ac kept us guessing – we both came up with the answer but said nothing as we had no crossing letters. It wasn’t until we had two of them that we said anything but in the end, the penny dropped. Our last one in was 26ac. Even with an electronic search, we were still baffled but after another google search, we found what we were looking for. We had never heard of the actress before.

1   A final send-off in two ways?
LAST POST Double definition – a) the ‘Last Post’ is played at military funerals, and b) the last post is the latest time at which a letter can be sent – both ‘final send-offs’
5   Spots crook coming from hearing
FLECKS Homophone (‘coming from hearing’) of FLEX (crook) = spots
9   Inspector is right to arrest suspect voyeurs? On the contrary
SURVEYOR Anagram of VOYEURS (anagrind is ‘suspect’) around, or ‘arresting’ R (right) = inspector – ‘on the contrary’ indicates that instead of ‘right’ ‘arresting’ the anagram as stated in the clue, the anagram ‘arrests’ ‘right’
10   A place to drink port in Spanish district
BARRIO BAR (a place to drink) + RIO (port) = Spanish district
12   Boredom affected 9 Across you said?
ENNUI Anagram of NINE (anagrind is ‘affected’) around, or ‘across’ U (sounds like ‘you’) = boredom
13   To distinguish between hill and a pike primarily needs skill
TELL APART TELL (hill) + A + P (first, or ‘primary’ letter of ‘pike’) + ART (skill)  distinguish
14   Fire half obliterated the kitchen – that’s a result!
REPERCUSSION (fi)RE (half obliterated) + PERCUSSION (‘kitchen’ – an informal term for the percussion section of an orchestra) = result
18   Once torture’s deployed to secure information, finally he’ll sing
COUNTERTENOR Anagram of ONCE TORTURE and N (last, or ‘final’ letter of ‘information’) – anagrind is ‘deployed’ = a male singer
21   Endless waiting when detained by head produces apprehension
NERVINESS (s)ERVIN(g) (‘endless waiting’ – without the first and last letters) in or ‘detained by’ NESS (head) = apprehension
23   Varnish can be made with this component of diesel emissions
ELEMI Hidden in, or a ‘component of’ (dies)EL EMI(ssions) = a material used in varnish
24   Type of food that fills the stomach
HAGGIS Cryptic definition – haggis is traditionally encased in a sheep’s stomach
25   Mutt and Jeff at last will leave pretty Derbyshire village
AIREDALE (f)AIR (‘pretty’ without the last letter of ‘Jeff’, or ‘Jeff at last will leave”) + EDALE (Derbyshire village) = mutt, or a dog, although ‘mutt’ usually describes a mongrel, whereas an Airedale is a recognised breed
26   Spelling’s almost woeful preceding enlightenment?
SATORI TORI (American actress and author Tori Spelling) with SA(d) (‘woeful’ without the last letter, or ‘almost’) in front = enlightenment
27   Stormy petrel’s tail is grabbed by dude unknown
BLUSTERY L (petrel’s ‘tail’ or last letter) in BUSTER (dude) + Y (unknown, as in algebra) = stormy
1   Who pays the rent? I suggest we look, but there’s no time
LESSEE LE(t)’S SEE (‘I suggest we take a look’ with no T (time)) = the person who pays rent in a leasehold property
2   Garment is in appropriate, but women will go for it
SARONG (w)RONG (inappropriate) with the W (wife women) ‘gone’ and replaced by SA (sex appeal, or ‘it’) = garment. Thanks Klingsor for spotting the typo.
3   Grant perhaps provides homeowner with a little money upfront
PRESIDENT RESIDENT (homeowner) with P (penny, or ‘a little money’) upfront = Ulysses S Grant was the 16th US president.
4   Use threat to unsettle daughter? That’s brave!
STOUTHEARTED Anagram of USE THREAT TO (anagrind is ‘unsettle’) + D (daughter) = brave
6   Capital city covering area within bounds of Himalayas
LHASA LA (Los Angeles – a city) around, or ‘covering’ A (area) in H(imalaya)S (first and later letters, or ‘bounds’) = capital (of Tibet)
7   Female figure supporting a charity devastated – husband dropped dead
CARYATID Anagram of A C(h)ARITY (anagrind is ‘devastated’) with the H (husband) ‘dropped’ + D (dead) = female figure, as in sculptures serving as columns in the Erechtheion on the Acropolis in Athens
8   Fair game
SPORTING Double definition
11   Loosely speaking, cello’s not a musical instrument
GLOCKENSPIEL Anagram of SPE(a)KING CELLO (anagrind is ‘loosely’) without the A = musical instrument
15   Advice for someone with dangerous habit like coke?
SMOKELESS One might advise a smoker (who has a dangerous habit) to smoke less = like coke, a smokeless form of coal
16   A container like this is needed for prickly plant
ACANTHUS A + CAN (container) + THUS (like this) = prickly plant
17   Completely and thoroughly defeat leaderless Tories
OUTRIGHT (r)OUT (thoroughly defeat) ‘leaderless’, or without the first letter + RIGHT (Tories) = completely
19   Household’s staff get on
MENAGE MEN (staff) + AGE (get on) = household
20   First signs of cannabis cause arrest I see – it’s a plant
CICELY CC (‘first signs’. Or letters of ‘cannabis cause’) around, or ‘arresting’ I + ELY (see, as in bishopric) = plant
22   Relatively risky, heading off with increased chance of freezing
ICIER (d)ICIER (relatively risky) without the first letter, or ‘heading’ = with increased chance of freezing

12 Responses to “Independent 8044 / Klingsor”

1. Al Dente says:

Thanks Bertandjoyce for the fine blog. Derived enjoyment from the longer musical answers glockenspiel and
    countertenor. My particularly favourite long answer though was stout-hearted as many years ago I had a friend
    suitably named Simon Stoutheart as he was also stouthearted by nature. Thanks for the enjoyment (and nostalgia).

2. Sil van den Hoek says:

Although I am quite familiar with Klingsor’s style (therefore knowing where to look), I found it very hard to make a proper start. So, not an easy(ish) puzzle in my book.
    Another reason for it could be that I’m usually kind of triggered by exciting surfaces and that these were a bit ordinary today.

That said, as always, plenty of clever constructions: 12ac (ENNUI), 11d (GLOCKENSPIEL) which wrongfooted the solver with its suggestion of a (loose) homophone, 6d (LHASA), to name a few.
    The price for Simplicity & Elegancy goes to BARRIO (10ac).

There were two solutions I didn’t get in the end: 1d and 2d.
    In hindsight, two of the very best (especially SARONG).

I made one mistake. In 15d I was so much focused on coke as a drug that I couldn’t accept SMOKELESS [one doesn't smoke coke]. Instead, I entered ‘scoreless’ which I couldn’t justify either given the first part of the clue.
    But B&J, thanks to your splendid blog it’s all clear now.

Many thanks, Klingsor, for a satisfying puzzle.

3. Sil van den Hoek says:

The prize for S&E, of course …

4. anax says:

Hmm – quite odd. I’m not disagreeing with you, Sil, but my solving experience of this was quite different (as we all are, of course). For me, this was probably the best Klingsor I’ve solved so far; loads of beautifully constructed clues full of imagination and wit and, really, not a single instance of clunkiness.

Occasionally, after solving, one can pinpoint the best clues and see how they were almost certainly seeds around which the rest of the puzzle was constructed, but I certainly couldn’t do that with this effort – it was pretty much seamless throughout.

A nice fat 10/10 from me.

5. rowland says:

I found this hard too, a bit flat for some reason, and I couldn’t get into it. But coming to Bert & Joyce’s blog this afty has shown where Rowly Slowly went wrong, and not anyone else.

Thanks to Klingsor for a tough workout.

6. flashling says:

Bah couldn’t get Satori, so well played Klingsor and thanks to B&J for explaining it.

Thanks for the blog, although ‘reasonably easy’ wouldn’t necessarily be my experience. I nearly managed it, but got stuck eventually in the NE corner.

I liked REPERCUSSION, if for no other reason than I finally remembered the ‘kitchen’/’percussion’ link, but was frustrated at getting AIREDALE last. A bit of too much knowledge being a dangerous thing, since I live in the beautiful county of Derbyshire and was convinced that it ended, rather than started, in AIR. And of course PIKEHALL also fitted nicely (naff all to do with the cryptic definition, but my brain – such as it is – works in mysterious ways).

Enjoyed the bits I did solve, so thank you to Klingsor.

8. allan_c says:

Not one of my best shots at a Klingsor; quite a bit of electronic help required.
    Yes, some nice misdirections. For example, having passed on 9a, I got ENNUI immediately for 12a and thought it must be a homophone (‘you said’ in the clue) of 9a. But ‘Anouilh’ (French playwright) of course hasn’t enough letters and no way could it fit the clue anyhow.

9. Dormouse says:

This wasn’t plain sailing for me, either. In the end I needed electronic help with 14ac, 25ac, and 20dn. Really annoyed about the first, as I did know the kitchen was a name for the percussion section. But I don’t think I’d head of “Edale” or “cicely”. And in 13ac, I don’t think I’ve ever come across “tell” meaning a hill. But I had heard of Tori Spelling so 26ac was easy.

15dn and 24ac both brought a smile to my face when I finally got them.

10. Klingsor says:

Many thanks for the excellent blog, Bert and Joyce. In 2 down the replaced W actually represents “women” itself (it’s in Chambers)- other than that, spot on. Thanks to all for the comments too. I’m glad nobody noticed that I rather sloppily used “arrest” as a container indicator in two clues – I have only just spotted it myself!

11. Bertandjoyce says:

Sorry Klingsor, that was a typo. Bert completed it and Joyce has been ill so it wasn’t checked over. Anyway, Bert says that there is only one ‘w’ in his life!

Thanks for dropping by!

12. Klingsor says:

No need at all to apologise! I hope all illnesses have cleared up now, and once again thank you for an excellent and clear analysis of the puzzle. Good night all.