Guardian 25,702 – Paul

Posted by Uncle Yap on July 31st, 2012

Uncle Yap.
For the past few months, I have been using this format which allows ready access to the actual clue, simply by holding the cursor over the clue number. Thank you, PeeDee for creating this feature which is very useful for the blogger (I even have my private version which includes the long list of my standard abbreviations) and the readers, whose request for the inclusion of the clues led to this.

Today’s puzzle is yet another slick offering from a maestro. Unfamiliar words are balanced by easy devises  … and, of course, we are always on the look-out for risque clues to titillate …
Thanks to the observant flashing@1, the peripheral read ON OUR FIRST WEDDING ANNIVERSARY. No wonder there are so many awkward words in the grid today.
Congratulations, Mr & Mrs John Halpern … may you be blessed with many more (Uncle Yap is in his 40th year of marital bliss … wonder who deserves the medal? :-)
Hold cursor over clue number to read a clue.
8 YUGOSLAV YUG (rev of GUY, man) OSLO (capital of Norway) minis O + A V (very). A Yugoslav is, of course, an old European since Yugoslavia broke up in 2003
9 ORATOR Rev of ROTA ROTA (one and a half schedules)
10 ROAN GROAN (cry) minus G for a horse, bay or dark, with spots of grey and white
11 EPIGLOTTIS Ins of PIG (sleazebag) in *(TOILETS) for the cartilaginous flap in the throat to prevent accident mis-channel) Thanks, NeilW@2
12 AU FAIT Ins of FAIR (just cut) in AUTO (car, bumper dropping off)
14 INTERNET Cha of IN TERN (bird, flyer) TEXT (text missing odd parts) A very accurate def seeing some of the things that are on the Net nowadays
15 SETTING dd cement setting is cement getting hard
17 LEG SHOW Ins of EG (exempli gratia, say) SH (mum, quiet) in LOW (deep)
20 ROOMETTE Ins of ‘OME (‘ouse) TT (TIGHT walls) in ROE (eggs of fish, something fishy) for a sleeping compartment in a train or a small bedroom to let. Hands up, those who tried parsing ins of ‘OME in ROTTEN !
22 BUDGIE Ins of I (one, single) in BUDGE (shift, move)
23 ETHOLOGIST *(GOT HOSTILE)
24 GRID G (middle letter of niGht or midnight) RID (free)
25 VOTIVE Cha of V (volume) + OT (Old Testament, books) + IV (four in Roman numerals) + E (last letter of marriage)
26 LANDWARD Ins of AND + W (first letter of wine) in LARD (fat)
1 OUT OF USE Ins of TOFU (Chinese vegetarian food) in River OUSE
2 NOON Doesn’t this self-explanatory clue remind you of High Noon , a 1952 Western film directed by Fred Zinnemann and starring Gary Cooper and Grace Kelly?
3 OLDEST ha
4 UVEITIS Cha of UV (ultra-violet light) E (energy) IT IS for an inflammation of the iris, ciliary body and choroid … new to me
5 ROULETTE Ins of LET (allowed) in ROUTE (way) Spinner’s game, neat def for this gambling game with a numbered spinning wheel
6 FACTORISED *(AFTER DISCO) and if you remember your arithmetic, 2 x 3 = 6, making 2 & 3 factors of 6
7 IODINE Ins of O (ozygen) in I DINE (gourmet’s comment, since lesser mortals only eat )
13 ACTOMYOSIN *(ON MY COAT IS) for a new word to me, meaning a protein complex in muscle fibers; composed of myosin and actin; shortens when stimulated and causes muscle contractions
16 NITROGEN *(NEON RIGHT minus Hydrogen) My COD for the exquisite surface
18 OLIVIERI Lord Laurence OLIVIER (1907-1989) + I (one) for Dawn Olivieri , American actress who has appeared in a number of television shows and feature films.
19 CEDILLA CHEF (regularly cut) DILL (herb) + A
21 OCTROI Acrostic (first letters of fodder), easy clue for an unfamiliar word which Chambers defined as formerly, and still in some European countries, a commercial privilege, eg of exclusive trade; a toll or tax levied at the gates of a city on articles brought in; the place where, or officials to whom, it is paid; payment for passage of a car on a road.
22 BITING Ins of TIN (vessel) in BIG (monster)
24 GOWN GO West, then North to find a habit, garment, dress, gown, apparel, etc

dd = double definition
dud = duplicate definition
tichy = tongue-in-cheek type
cd = cryptic definition
rev = reversed or reversal
ins = insertion
cha = charade
ha = hidden answer
*(fodder) = anagram

25 Responses to “Guardian 25,702 – Paul”

1. flashling says:

I think looking at the perimeter might be instructive… My regards to Mr and Mrs Halpern

2. NeilW says:

Thanks, UY. The EPIGLOTTIS is the flap inside the throat that stops food going into the larynx when swallowing, rather than the turkey type, I think.

3. molonglo says:

Good blog, Uncle Yap. The bottom left corner made me struggle with ROOMETTE a never-heard-of and the muscle protein only got after a bit of googling. Last in was NITROGEN which is now obvious, thanks to you.

4. grandpuzzler says:

Thanks to Paul for his anniversary puzzle and to Uncle Yap for the blog. Yes, I was reminded of the movie by 2d. As an American of long standing, I’ve never heard of Dawn Olivieri. Having read her credits, I can see why. Great puzzle!

Cheers…

5. muffin says:

Technically, then, the definition for 13dn is incorrect – actomyosin isn’t “a” protein, but a complex of two different ones, actin and myosin.
    “Roomette” I discover to be American – horrible word!
    Very clever perimeter.

Well spotted, flashling, and congrats to Mr and Mrs H. It is supposed to be a ‘paper’ anniversary, so what could be more appropriate?

Lovely puzzle from Paul. I never used to be on his wavelength, but I’m enjoying his crosswords now that I am. EPIGLOTTIS raised a smile and I also liked NITROGEN.

Thanks to setter and blogger.

7. Gervase says:

Thanks, UY.

Great puzzle. It took me a while to get much of a purchase on this, although I managed the anagrams (including ACTOMYOSIN) without much difficulty. However, I spotted the Nina with only half the peripheral letters, which helped a lot – this is most unusual for me! Luckily, there were no totally unfamiliar words in the crossword, though OCTROI I only dimly remembered (probably from another puzzle) and had to check its meaning in the dictionary.

Bravo to Paul for managing to fill a grid without too many obscurities, given his self-imposed constraints – and congrats to the Halperns.

Favourites were 9ac (construction), 24ac (neatness), 6d (misdirection). Sorry to disagree with others on NITROGEN, but the surface makes little scientific or technological sense!

8. Gervase says:

Correction: I’d never come across ROOMETTE (horrible word), though it was fairly obvious from the wordplay.

I know what you mean, Gervase – I had the same thought, that neon, being inert, would be the gas least likely to cause an explosion. But since we get comparatively few ‘scientific’ clues, a setter getting ACTOMYOSIN into a puzzle put me in a generous mood …

10. Gervase says:

K’s D: In loose usage, ‘neon’ can also mean a coloured discharge lamp – which might possibly explode. But it would never have had hydrogen in it!

11. martin says:

Congratulations. Pleased that there was a happy reason for so many words that I didn’t know.

12. liz says:

Thanks for the blog, Uncle Yap. I was wondering why there were quite a few unfamiliar words so thanks to flashling for pointing out the Nina, which I missed completely :-(

Congratulations to Mr and Mrs Halpern!

13dn required extensive use of the check button. Other words/refs I didn’t know were: OCTROI, OLIVIERI and UVEITIS. As others have said, all gettable from the wordplay.

13. Colin Greenland says:

techie stuff alert

Since you mention it, Uncle Yap, you might want to pass back to its creator that this mouseover feature doesn’t work in Safari 5.1.7 or Chrome 20.0.somethingorother on MacOS 10.6.8. Maybe it doesn’t work on Macs at all. I don’t really mind, but it might be significant, I suppose.

techie stuff all clear

Thank goodness I came to this blog and read the first comment. Until then I was feeling a bit grumpy about being forced to cheat to get all the obscurities. Now I see why, and am quite happy. Many thanks flashling.

I recently learned the name for this type of novelty, extra text hidden in the grid. Of course now I need it I’ve forgotten it. It was a girl’s name: Belinda, or Amanda, or some such. And it came from the habit of an American cartoonist of concealing his daughter’s name in his drawings. And of course I’ve forgotten his name too. I suppose I could waste another hour groping about on Google. Or I could do some work.

14. Colin Greenland says:

Nina!

Thank you, Liz. I should have known someone would mention it.

15. Bertandjoyce says:

We wondered why there were some odd words today but didn’t spot the nina until the very end!

Congratulations to Mr and Mrs Halpern!

Thanks Uncle Yap for the blog.

16. NeilW says:

Colin, it works fine in Firefox on a Mac.

17. ClaireS says:

Thanks for the blog – I always miss the ninas and other hidden items.

Several new words for me (23a, 4d, 13d & 21d) and I hadn’t heard of the actress in 18d. I needed all the crossers for 13d but all were very straightforwardly clued. Not that I mind unusual words, I’m always happy to learn new ones.

Techie stuff alert
    Colin Greenland @13 – the mouseovers are all working fine for me. I’m running with OS X 10.6.8, Safari 5.7.1 & Chrome 20.0.1132.57 (latest) and have no problems with the hover function.

18. Trailman says:

Thanks Uncle Yap and congratulations to the Halperns. I’m sitting here with Mrs Trailman of 25+ years and in all that time I am told there have been only a couple of moments as romantic as Paul’s Nina. Beats me if I know what they were.
    And quite rightly for such an occasion, smut-free pretty much. Though, having checked out Ms Olivieri, I wonder if our setter doesn’t have a secret longing …

19. NeilW says:

Trailman, 17ac? Although, maybe it’s a tribute clue? ;)

20. NeilW says:

Colin, a much more serious geek problem in Mac is that there is no RSS support in Mountain Lion, so no more alerts when this blog is posted. Boo Hoo. :(

21. Trailman says:

Indeed NeilW. We shall give him the benefit.
    A bit of praise though for clue 18d. Typically Pauline: gracefully elides from an earlier theatrical generation to the present; a fair clue for the most of us who only knew of dear Larry, and a fair clue too for those who only know of Dawn. Both groups learn something new.

22. NeilW says:

Trailman, I would guess 99.999% ratio there!

23. RCWhiting says:

Thanks all
    A strange mixture. Mostly rather straightforward but three obscure solutions(to me) held me up at the end. ‘roomette’ and ‘Olivieri’ and 13d,not in Chambers or several on line sources I tried. My ending with -cin did not help. Still I did eventually track it down.
    Miserable old git warning ahead:
    I don’t really appreciate the self-indulgence but it didn’t in any way interfere with the puzzle, so no complaints.

24. liz says:

Colin Greenland @13 Here’s the cartoonist http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Al_Hirschfeld

25. Giovanna says:

Thanks, Paul and Happy Anniversary to you both xx

Thanks, Uncle Yap for your explanations!! Hard work for you this time with the unfamiliar words.

Trailman @18, it is never too late to do something spectacular!25 years for me this November, too. (Sorry RCW!!)

Liz @24, I enjoyed the link to Nina’s story.

Giovanna x