Financial Times 14,062 by Cinephile

Posted by Pete Maclean on August 2nd, 2012

Pete Maclean.

Prize puzzle from the Weekend FT of July 21, 2012

Some people may not be thrilled but I was happy to come across a Cinephile puzzle for the first time in a while. There are several decent clues and one that I do not care for, 20, 5 (WAILING WALL) which seems hardly cryptic.

1. RADIUS – double definition
4. SWAP SHOP – rhyming word pair
9. EFFETE – EF (notes) + FETE (celebration)
10. CLARINET – IN (at home) in CLARET (red)
12. MONETARY – MONET (painter) + A (a) + RY (line, as in railway)
13. ROBUST – BUS (transport) in ROT (rubbish)
16. MISREAD – MIS[s] READ. I needed a friend’s help with this one (thanks, Bob) since I had never heard of this Miss Read who writes books about a village.
20, 5. WAILING WALL – ??? I don’t know how to categorize this clue — it seems hardly cryptic! The Wailing Wall (which I have visited) is so called not because the stones cry out of course but because it was used to mourn the destruction of the Temple.
21, 15. SCARCITY – SCAR (trauma) + CITY (financial centre)
25. OYSTER – double definition. An Oyster Card is an electronic ticket used on public transport in London.
26. MUSHROOM – MUSH (gooey mess) + ROOM (space)
28, 30. FRANCOIS HOLLANDE – FRANCO (old Spanish [leader]) + IS (is) + HOLLAND (location for Dutch) + E (English). How interesting to see two clues for Francois Hollande in consecutive weeks.
31. TENDER – double definition

1. REED MACE – MA (degree) in anagram of DECREE. I had never heard of reed mace but guessed the answer and then looked it up.
2, 11. DEFINITE ARTICLE – DEFINITE (clear) + ARTICLE (object)
3. UMTATA – UM (uncertainty) + TATA (farewell). I had to look this one up too! And Wikipedia tells me that Umtata is actually an old version of the name of the Bantustan capital; it is now called Mthatha.
6, 14. PERSONAL PRONOUN – anagram of SOON ANNUL PROPER
7, 29. HONOUR BRIGHT – ON (on) in HOUR (time) + R (right) in BIGHT (bay). I was unfamiliar with this expression!
8. POTATO – POT (top up) + A TO[p]
17. VALENCIA – VALE (farewell) + anagram of I CAN
18. ACT OF GOD – double definition
19. PROMPTER – double definition
22. LOOFAH – A FOOL (an idiot) backwards + H (hospital)
23. ASSAIL – ASS (idiot) + AIL (be poorly)
24. CHARGE – double definition
27. PIED – PIED (foot over water, i.e. the French word for foot)

5 Responses to “Financial Times 14,062 by Cinephile”

1. Bob Cumbow says:

Thanks for the shout-out, Pete, but it was Peter Groves who told me about Miss Read; I just passed the info along to you. Credit where credit is due.

2. Bryan says:

Many thanks Pete and Cinephile

I have been anxiously awaiting for the solution to 3d.

UMTATA indeed!

3. Bamberger says:

Ok if its Cinephile I can ignore the Saturday FT crossword and do the Saturday Grauniad instead……which happens to be by Araucaria. Can’t budding setters get a look in?

Thanks for the blog, Pete, from another who was pleased to see Cinephile. ;-)

I agree that 20,5 is not the greatest clue but there is a little bit more to it. It’s a reference to Jesus’ entry into Jerusalem on what we now call Palm Sunday:

“As he was now drawing near, at the descent of the Mount of Olives, the whole multitude of the disciples began to rejoice and praise God with a loud voice for all the mighty works that they had seen, saying, “Blessed is the King who comes in the name of the Lord! Peace in heaven and glory in the highest!” And some of the Pharisees in the multitude said to him, “Teacher, rebuke your disciples.” He answered, “I tell you, if these were silent, the very stones would cry out.” {Luke 19:37-40 RSV}”, hence the quotation marks in the clue.

5. Pete Maclean says:

Eileen, Ah, thank you for filling us in on that. I guess I should have expected a biblical reference from the Reverend! And could have googled it to check.