Independent 8055/Dac

Posted by John on August 8th, 2012

John.

As usual …

Does Dac ever depart from his high standards?

1 W AVER
4 MISS (JUL 1) E{uropean} — the play by Strindberg
9 ARNOLD BAX — {p}a{t}r{o}n old “backs”
10 COM(B)O — Perry Como
11 E(US)TON
12 C(HEN ILL)E — female laying = hen
14 ON THE WAGON — (a gent who)* (no)rev.
16 A GAS — as has happened before, Dac seems to be quite happy to use trade names, although perhaps this one is almost generic
19 TASK — (Sat)rev. {steeplejac}k
20 MALEFACTOR — (Malta force)*
22 QUI(L L)P EN — in French, in = en
23 SCOT CH
26 A KIT A — this is a large powerful Japanese breed of dog of which I’d never heard; I guessed ARIGA, thinking it might be the name of someone — you might argue that the clue is no good because the wordplay doesn’t incontrovertibly lead you to the right answer but then you might also argue that one should know what an akita is
27 OIL TANKER — {doc}k in (oriental)*
28 HAR(NESS)ED
29 THY ME{al}

1 WHA(LE BOA)T
2 VENU{E}S
3 ROLLOVER — 2 defs
4 tosS BOMb — hidden rev., the reverse indicated by ‘in the air’
5 SIX-SHOOTER — (XIs)rev. hooter — def ‘arm’
6 J(OC)UN D
7 LAMPLIGHT — The song by David Essex and I think it’s light = entertaining (although perhaps they’re not quite equivalent) with lamp = hit at the top, i.e. preceding it — slightly tricky to parse because to lam is also to hit
8 EMOTE — (to me)rev. {lov}e
13 CA(DAVE)ROUS{e}
15 TESTIFIER — “testy” (ref)rev. about 1 — in my opinion the best surface of them all in this crossword
17 SUR(CHAR)GE
18 BACCHANT — (cab)rev. chant — had never heard the word but fairly obvious because of Bacchus, Bacchanalia etc.
21 SLEAZE — (lazes)* — since one meaning of sleaze is a sleazy person, this is a noun; they are not, as I initially thought before looking it up, both adjectival
22 {S}QUASH — in this clue Dac doesn’t tell us, as he did in 2dn, that the omitted letter appears twice in the long word but is only dropped once

15 Responses to “Independent 8055/Dac”

1. postrophe says:

Well, what fun, and thanks to Dac and John.

Not sure about Venus being a star, though (2d) ;)

2. Flashling says:

Dac does a pangram shock.cheers john and dac.

3. rowland says:

Yes indeed, a pangram. I too was taken out by the dog I’m afraid, but this puzzle still makes for a very high-quality solve. Thanks John and Dac.

Cheers,
    Rowly.

Thanks John and Dac.

I did spot the pangram for once, but as flashling says, it’s not that usual for Dac. Perhaps just an ‘I can do them as well’ moment, although none the worse for that. Plenty of good stuff as always, but I too am not enamoured of AKITA: unhelpful crossing letters, possibility of ARIGA, and no indication that it was one of our four-legged friends. Apart from that, the customary elegant clueing and another pleasing Wednesday puzzle.

5. MikeC says:

Thanks John and Dac – an enjoyable puzzle. As usual, I rather agree with K’s D (re AKITA) and I also thought LAMPLIGHT was tricky, because LAM can stand for LAMP.

6. Paul B says:

Whilst LAM can ‘hit’, LAMP in Chambers and Collins does not, I note. Having said that, I’d always thought I could lamp someone in the eye (or lamp) if necessary, so … where’s it from? Some new stuff relating to Skype and other Net thingies, but not convinced by those.

7. Paul B says:

n.b. insert ‘mean’ above as appropriate.

8. flashling says:

@Paul B my Chambers has:

lamp 3 /lamp/ (slang)
    transitive verb
    To punch or thump

9. Malc95 says:

2d – Venus is sometimes called the Morning Star or Evening Star.

Not sure about 1d or 7d though.

10. Paul B says:

Hi Flash. Mine (1993) gets as far as LAMP 2, then fades dramatically into LAMPAS.

11. Sil van den Hoek says:

“Does Dac ever depart from his high standards?”
    Well, dear John, probably not (although I did not like 6d (JOCUND) very much because of all these abbreviations).

I came here tonight for the answer (and the explanation) to 26ac (AKITA) [never heard of this brutal creature, never hope to meet 'm either] and the other one I didn’t get: 25d.

Unfortunately, the latter is missing from the blog.
    The Indy website tells me that it should be GLAD, but I fear I cannot parse it – blame it on the Chardonnay ….

12. Dormouse says:

I, too, got caught on 26ac – never heard of it, doesn’t seem to be in Chambers, and I couldn’t work it out from the word play.

Also, quite a few answers I couldn’t parse even when I got the answer. 7dn, I had to look up David Essex in Wikipedia to see if he’d recorded anything ending “-light”, as from the letters I had it could have been “limelight”.

Buy 25dn I was able to pass: it’s GLAD(E), where “glad” is short for gladiolus.

13. flashling says:

@Sil Chambers 11th again…

glad 2 /glad/ or gladdie /glad?i/ (informal)
    noun short for gladiolus

And GLAD(e)

14. Sil van den Hoek says:

Thank you, Dormouse, for explaining GLAD.
    Already thought that ‘glad’ had to be short for ‘gladiolus’ but was too lazy to ask Mrs Chambers.

15. John says:

A bad habit that I’m slipping into, missing these final clues. My apologies.

24dn is {toas}t OK ay, 25dn is glad{e}, where glad indeed = gladiolus.