Financial Times 14,079 by Bradman

Posted by Jed on August 10th, 2012

Jed.

Smashing way to start the day

1 WAVE MECHANICS CH (children) in (WISE CAVEMAN)*

9 RECOUNT dd

10 VITALLY (crucially) VI (six) TALLY (match)

11 TILDE (mark) L (left) in TIDE (flood)

12 RACKETEER (to extort) RACKET (din) EER (always)

13 DEADLINE dd

15 SINBAD (the sailor) not SIN BAD

18 FRENCH (in Paris) FRE[elu]NCH

19 HANDICAP (disadvantage) HAND (worker) I (one) CAP (limit)

22 MINOR SUIT (bridge) (MINI TOURS)*

24 HABER (chemist) BA< in HER (the female)

25 LOBSTER (food) (STOR[a]BLE)*

26 FOULARD (soft untwilled silk) FOUL (muck up) A RD

27 BODY MASS INDEX (SEXY BONDMAIDS)*

1 WORSTED dd

2 VACILLATE (hesitate) ILL (unfit) in VACATE (leave)

3 MOUSE (computer tool) O (nothing) in MUSE (inspiration)

4 CATERING (at reception) C (hundred) ATE RING

5 ADVICE (lawyer offers) AD (commercial) VICE (immorality)

6 IN THE WIND dd

7 SOLVE V in SOLE (only)

8 HYBRID (cross) HY (henry) BRID[e]

14 LACERATED (torn apart) LACE RATED (thought highly of)

16 BACKBOARD dd

17 MASTIFFS (dogs) TIFF (row) in MASS (mob)

18 FAMILY (nearest and dearest) AMI (French friend) in FLY

20 PARADOX (mystery) PARAD[e] (show) O (nothing) X (wrong)

21 QUORUM (enough people) status QUO RUM (odd)

23 NABOB (governor) NAB (grab) OB (old boy)

24 HOURI (Muslim nymph) HOUR (time) I (independence)

( )* = anagram    [ ] = omit    < = reversed    dd = double definition

5 Responses to “Financial Times 14,079 by Bradman”

1. MikeC says:

Thanks Jed and Bradman. Good stuff. I had to check the chemist (not really remembered from my school A level course) but the clueing and crossing letters set me on the right track. My cod was 3d – obvious as soon as you see it, but with elegantly “bemusing” wordplay ;-)

2. Gibichung says:

Couldn’t find “haber” for chemist in my Chambers. Can anyone give me a bit more info about this word as it’s a new one for me.

3. mike04 says:

Hello Gibichung

Fritz Haber, the German chemist known for his work on gases.
    Mike

4. mike04 says:

PS I vaguely remember studying the ‘Haber process’ in school chemistry many moons ago.
    It gets a mention in the 12th Edition of Chambers.

5. Gibichung says:

Thanks mike04 – much appreciated!