Financial Times 14,083 by Aardvark

Posted by PeeDee on August 15th, 2012

PeeDee.

An enjoyable cruise from Aardvark.  I’m glad this was not too difficult as I had forgotten today is Wednesday and got off to a very late start with my blog.

I’m not completely sure on 6dn and 16dn, any help would be appreciated.

Hold the mouse pointer over any clue number to read the clue.

1 TUSKER TER (territory) around USK (river)
4 STOPPARD OP (opus, work) in PARTS*
9 GODSON DistresS (case=outer letters of) held in GOON (dummy) – definition is ‘child’.
10 PETER MAY Essex (opening letter) TERM (interval) in PAY (reward) – former cricketer, captain of England and Surrey.
12 FOWL F (forte, loud) OWL (hooter) – definition is ‘game’
13 FUTON U (unionist) in FT (newspaper) and ON
14 UNDO D (500, Roman numeral) in UNO (one, Italian)
17 ALL TO PLAY FOR TOP LAY (amateur) in FLORAL*
20 CLIFF RICHARD CLIFF (face of rock) R (first letter of roll) IC (in command) HARD (tough) – definition is &lit. I don’t think Sir Cliff is known particularly for being tough and commanding, but lets give Aardvark the benefit of the doubt in this clever clue.
23 ROUT bert becomes bet with R out – definition is ‘rowdy mob’
24 ASPIC SA (Salvation Army) reversed (over) with PIC (picture)
25 STYE chESTY* (CH=child missing) anagram=shivering
28 CALVADOS AD (commercial) in VOCALS*
29 FAG END GEN (news, the latest) in FAD (fashion)
30 TURNOVER a company wants a big turnover to grow, definition is ‘pastry’
31 WISDOM WI (West Indies, Caribbean) MODS (music fans) reversed
1 TUG-OF-WAR cryptic definition
2 SIDEWALK KIDS* (anagram=messing) going around ignorE (ultimately=last letter) and LAW (rule) reversed (about)
3 EROS ROSE (stood up) moving E from the back to the front
5 THE HOLY GRAIL (HE GOT HILLARY)*
6 PIER Just a guess. Possibly current=the tide which passes under/though the pier, but this seems a very weak explanation.  I (symbol for electrical current) in PER (through) – thanks to MikeC and crypticsue for this.
7 ALMOND sALMON (fish, topped) and D (date)
8 DRY ROT TORY (politician) with RD (road) reversed (revolutionary)
11 PULL A FAST ONE (ALF PAUL)* on STONE (rock)
15 DOLLY DO (party) aLLY (friend) missing A
16 POACH O (old) ACtors (pair of=two letters) in PH (public house, pub) – definition is ‘track down’. Chambers does not give ‘track down’ as a meaning for poach, maybe other dictionaries do?
18 MASTHEAD MAD goes around (circles) AS THE (representing) – definition is ‘flag’
19 ADDENDUM AD (poster) on DEN (shelter) DUM sounds like dumb (foolish) – definition is ‘extra’
21 BRECHT sCHuBERT* (missing US) anagram=playing
22 BUTLER BUT (only) L (large) ER (Elizabeth Regina, ruler) – servants are found ‘below stairs’
26 SAGO SAG (depression) O (love, zero tennis score)
27 BALI B (Britain) Mohammed ALI (The Greatest) – definition is ‘island’

*anagram

10 Responses to “Financial Times 14,083 by Aardvark”

1. MikeC says:

Thanks PeeDee and Aardvark. 6d is I (current) in PER (through), I think. I’m afraid I’m in the same boat as you on 16d. An enjoyable puzzle but quite tricky, imho.

2. crypticsue says:

Very enjoyable indeed thanks to setter and blogger. It did help that I am old enough to remember the cricketer!!

6d I can’t remember exactly and my Chambers is at home but I is an abbreviation for some sort of electrical current (I had to blog a puzzle with it in recently) which is inserted into PER (through).

16d the office dictionary doesn’t have poach as track down either.

3. PeeDee says:

Thanks MikeC and crypticsue. I couldn’t see that, I really should have been able to.

4. malc95 says:

Blimey! Peter May & the mods – back to the ’50s & ’60s.

Yes, yes – I remember them as well.

5. Neb says:

1 across makes no sense – I got Tusker, but still can’t fathom the cryptic. Your explanation makes no sense, I’m afraid; it yields TERR. Too many proper names – who the hell is(was) Peter May? The whole thing feels like it was lifted from an old paper – Cliff Richard as the face of rock and roll, mods, sago pudding. I don’t see “poach” as a synonym for track down, either.

6. PeeDee says:

Oops! Should have been the river USK in 1 across. Sorry about that.

7. Lenny says:

I quite enjoyed the mid-20th century feel of this puzzle. I stopped watching cricket in the 1960s so Peter May is one of the few cricketers that I know.

In 20 you have to do the lift and separate after Rock. A cliff is a face of rock and roll originally is R so the clue is not necessarily an endorsement of Sir Cliff’s status

8. Ferret says:

Is 16d a typo? “Break down” would make sense in a farming scenario where a tract of land is broken down or poached?

9. PeeDee says:

Hi Lenny @7. I agree with the “face of rock” meaning cliff, I didn’t see that. That doesn’t really change the overall reading of the clue though, whole clue still has to be the definition (&lit).

10. mike04 says:

Thanks for the blog, PeeDee.

Cliff’s hit “Tough Enough” was released in 1962 and he took part in the Royal
    “Command” Performance of 1981. Rather tenuous I admit, but with a question mark
    at the end, I’d be only too happy to give Aardvark the benefit of the doubt!