Azed No 2098: Classical values

Posted by bridgesong on August 26th, 2012

bridgesong.

An easier than usual puzzle this week,  which I completed in just over an hour and a half, although I am still puzzled by the wordplay to 9 down.  It’s a 13 by 11 grid, with both the 13 letter clues (at 1 and 34 across) having a classical theme.  There were three hidden clues, which always helps, and perhaps fewer unfamiliar words than in your average Azed.  Here’s a link to the pdf of the puzzle.  The printed version had a couple of minor misprints, both to clue numbers, but no real difficulty arose.  In the interactive version, there was an error about italicisation.

1 AMPHIPROSTYLE PRO in *(HEAT SIMPLY). It’s a Greek architectural term, quite easy to find once I started looking for words beginning “amphi…”.
11 CARON AR in CON. Another word for a hacek.
12 PRO-AM Not sure that there’s anything more here than a cryptic definition; have I missed something?
14 ALAMODE A LAM ODE. Apparently it’s spelled as one word when used in this particular culinary sense.
15 LEAGUE Hidden in “assemble a guesthouse”.
17 SUDAMINA I’M (rev) in SUDAN, A.
18 SUNROOMS (M)UNRO in *MOSS.
20 ARAISE Sounds like ARRAYS.
22 SMORES S(ucceeded), MORES.
25 UTTEREST *SETTER in o(UT).
27 ITEMISER (hurrican)E in *MISTIER.
30 PICOTE COT in PIE. A madge can mean a magpie.
31 EARLIES LIE in EARS.
32 ENOKI Compound anagram: take the letters of HINT CLARET from ORIENTAL KITCHEN and rearrange them. Lovely surface.
33 SIENT I in SENT (an obsolete spelling of scent). The word itself is an old form of SCION.
34 PER FAS ET NEFAS *(SAFE, SAFE, PARE(n)T).
2 MAL VU Hidden in “abysmal vulgarity”.
3 PRAJNA RAJ (exploitatio)N in PA. It’s a Buddhist term.
4 HOMERIC MERI in HOC. A meri is a Maori weapon.
5 PADS D in PAS.
6 RHEUMATEESE *MAUTHER, (g)EESE. I’m a little surprised that there’s nothing to indicate that this is a dialect term.
7 OULD (w)OULD.
8 SPEARMEN PE ARM in SEN.
9 YOGISN This one has defeated me: any suggestions?  Error corrected: see comments below
10 LAUNCE UN in LACE.
11 CASSARIPE SSARI in CAPE.
13 MEANS TEST *STATEMEN(t)S.
16 HOSPITIA *(I SHOP), AIT(rev).
19 FORELIE RELI(c) in FOE. The last one in for me.
21 RATINE IN in RATE.
23 RELIEF RELIE, F(ine).
24 DECOR Hidden in “outside corridor”.  In the grid, this clue was numbered 34.
26 SCENA Another compound anagram; subtract NORMA from AS CARMEN ON and rearrange.  This clue was wrongly numbered as 24.
28 SENS SENS(e).
29 RAFT RAF, T(ime).

13 Responses to “Azed No 2098: Classical values”

1. RCWhiting says:

Thanks all
    I couldn’t parse 9d entirely but if the solution is ‘yogin’ then the strong drink is ‘last’.

2. RCWhiting says:

Your comment has encouraged me to think again. ‘Sadhus’is plural but ‘one found’ would account for ‘yogin’ (singular). The ‘yo’must be the call to a horse to get ‘going’. Yes?

3. RCWhiting says:

12ac pro(A)m prom = front.

4. sidey says:

I think 9d is one of Azed’s odd clues where SADHUS has two possible answers, YOGINS and YOGIS. You get the correct one by forgoing the last (of) strong drink, in this case the N of GIN. A bit convoluted but I think I remember this device being used before.

5. Matthew says:

The best explanation I could come up with for the wordplay in 9d was YO(u),GIN using one=YOU. This would apparently require either Sadhu’s or Sahdu instead of Sahdus, although Collins does give YOGIN as a plural of YOGI.

6. yvains says:

I’m with Matthew on 9 – really don’t think YOGIS works.

7. bridgesong says:

Thanks to RCW and Matthew who have I think explained 9 down and 12 across. I had carelessly failed to spot that Chambers gives YOGIN as the plural (I think I was thinking of GURUS).

8. AJK says:

I thought this was a bit of a slog. I put in YO(u)GIN by the way. Today’s puzzle seemed easier.

9. stevem says:

I don’t think Chambers gives YOGIN as the plural since it says yogi or yogin (also fem yogini) is “a person who …”. It could be that AZED himeslf was mistaken though I do like sidey’s explanation, especially as I think that one=YOU is a bit weak.

10. Norman Hall says:

Like AJK I put in YOUGIN

YO[U] + GIN
    YOU = ONE (impersonal pronoun). Forgo the last letter

11. Norman Hall says:

I meant YOGIN of course.
    YOU=ONE didn’t seem weak at all to me.

12. RCWhiting says:

There are some wonderful explanations there, but since Chambers does not give ‘yogin’ as a plural there must be an indication (‘one found’) that Sadhus (definitely plural) has to be singularised.
    I am less confident about my horsy idea but if the one is doing double duty then ‘yo(u)’ is possible.

13. bridgesong says:

Stevem @ 9 : you’re right that Chambers doesn’t give YOGIN as a plural, and nor does the OED. I am therefore inclined to accept Matthew’s explanation @ 5 about a misprint in the clue.