Everyman No. 3438 (26th August)

Posted by The Trafites on September 2nd, 2012

The Trafites.

Lorraine:  Good morning to you all,

It took me a while to get started on this weeks offering. First two in were 9ac and 14dn. Once I got started everything fell into place.

Favourites were 1ac, 11ac, 13ac and 23ac. No particular favourites in the down clues.

Thank you Everyman for a most enjoyable solve.

1. Awful smell coming from small freshwater fish (6)
STENCH S+TENCH
4. Charm, a cross, last in market (6)
AMULET A+MULE[cross]+(marke)T
8. Prepared to study unknown quantity (5)
READY READ+Y
9. Material wealth (9)
SUBSTANCE dd
11. Scout, first to salute English dramatist (7)
SPOTTER S+POTTER
12. Daughter coming in to mend broken piece (7)
ODDMENT D in (TO MEND*)
13. Notice what’s given to departing soldiers? (8,6)
MARCHING ORDERS cdd
16. Come onto the stage in theatre in revised Osborne play (3,11)
THE ENTERTAINER ENTER in (IN THEATRE*)
20. Soldier, in consequence, left umbrella (7)
PARASOL PARA+SO+L
22. Figure old scam must take in mark (7)
OCTAGON O(ld)+(CON around TAG)
23. Frozen, enter resort to make a political address (6,3)
NUMBER TEN NUMB+(ENTER*)
24. Rouse oneself and dress (3,2)
GET UP cdd
25. Hard to acquire right container for animals to drink out of (6)
TROUGH TOUGH around R
26. Little boy, after short time, becomes difficult (6)
TRICKY RICKY after T(ime)
1. Head of state rests uneasily showing strain (6)
STRESS S+(RESTS*)
2. Develop complex (9)
ELABORATE dd
3. Mysterious tomb, one discovered by leader of Crusades (7)
CRYPTIC CRYPT+I+C(rusades)
5. Bullfighter in form at a do recently (7)
MATADOR hidden: forM AT A DO Recently
6. Knight having no chance to find weapon (5)
LANCE LANCE(lot)
7. Paper in stand is English (8)
TREATISE TREAT[stand)+IS+E
9. Make fit for use low sort of accommodation (7,4)
SERVICE FLAT SERVICE+FLAT[low]
10. Preferred feathers delivered from London? (7,4)
BROUGHT DOWN BROUGHT+DOWN
14. Forceful eastern regent implicated in charge (9)
ENERGETIC E+(REGENT*)+IC
15. Be quick, or set point’s lost (4,2,2)
STEP ON IT (SET POINT)*
17. Gathers in information over savings (4,3)
NEST EGG GETS in GEN reversed
18. A whole number teeing off close to marker (7)
INTEGER (TEEING*)+(marke)R
19. Smart spook snatching short sleep (6)
SNAPPY SPY around NAP
21. Ladies’ man finding note in changing room (5)
ROMEO E in (ROOM*)

12 Responses to “Everyman No. 3438 (26th August)”

1. Bamberger says:

I solved all this except 16a where the answer was obviously a play by someone called Osbourne. I got the first word as “the” but couldn’t see the word play. Of course I could have googled Osbourne plays but that isn’t really the point. No doubt I will be told that Osbourne is an incredibly famous playwright and everyone has heard of the Entertainer -well no I haven’t. Similar comment about 11a though scout =spotter was straightforward.

2. Robi says:

Thanks Everyman and Lorraine for good crossword and blog.

I think in 22 you meant TAG in O CON to give OCTAGON.

I did particularly like BROUGHT DOWN.

Bamberger @1; in my opinion, there is nothing wrong with using Google if you don’t know the answer. It is how you learn new things from crosswords.

3. Paul B says:

It’s ENTER in THEATRE/IN* to be precise, but the clue is so easy I can’t see how this answer would be ungettable for anyone who’s ever solved a cryptic crossword. Re 11, same, though would some solvers have been better placed with a reference to a young wizard, say?

It’s a question of cultural depth I suppose, even where Potter is one of the most famous TV dramatists of all time, but this puzzle seemed to me another of the Everyman series extremely well-judged for difficulty, and a very nice Solve On Sunday.

4. Bamberger says:

Paul B @3. I knew there was an anagram knocking about. 14 letters but which ones ? Stage in theatre has 14 letters -but couldn’t make anything out of that. I just couldn’t see what was required.
    I’d be interested to know if others found the clue very easy if they didn’t know the name of the play. In any case Everyman is supposed to cater for the less able crosswordwise.

5. Donna says:

Hello everyone, and thank you to Everyman and Lorraine! Bamberger, I’d never heard of Osborne (except for Ozzie!)or Potter (except for Harry!) either, so I waited until I had as much help from the crossing letters as I could get and then tried again. In fact, 16 Across was the last one in for me. I made a lucky guess and then checked it on Google. 11 Across I got from the straight definition and then checked “Potter” on Google. Even at 1 Across I’d never heard of a “tench,” though I knew the answer had to be “stench.” So I looked up “tench” in Chambers, and now I’ve got another fish to fry! I so agree with Robi about looking up things on Google or in the dictionary because that is how we learn. I also think that so much of what we know or don’t know is simply a matter of our interests and areas of expertise. For example, I love opera, so opera-related clues are always easy for me to figure out, though I know a lot of folks would dread them. On the other hand, anything to do with sports or math makes my blood pressure go up! But by looking up sports or math-related entries when they occur in crosswords I’ve added a bit to my knowledge of these subjects. I may never be an expert on them, but I’m not looking to be one. By calling itself “Everyman” it would seem that this puzzle sets itself up in opposition to even the slightest whiff of cultural elitism. There’s plenty of that elsewhere. Anyway, I’ll get off my soap box now and wish you all a very pleasant week ahead.

Thanks, Lorraine.

Did I know THE ENTERTAINER? Well, ish … I guess it’s one of those clues – which Everyman often asks you to solve with some clear wordplay – where having that five-miles-wide-and-one-foot-deep kind of knowledge is a help. But for sure, if you have to look something up, either to solve or confirm, and then store it away for future use, then it’s been a good puzzle. Like this one was.

7. sidey says:

What a lovely way to encourage people who might come here for help, you condescending twerp. And it’s the sort of attitude you show round here regularly, kindly stop it.

8. Paul B says:

You can’t possibly be serious (and from your posting history we may surmise that you’re not, you spiteful oaf).

In comparison to the general unwashed hordes, we can surely expect even ‘the less able crosswordwise’ as someone’s put it, or those ‘who might (sic) come here for help’ to have been exposed to the occasional extremely famous TV dramatist, or know at least the very basics as to clue types, so who’s really being condescending here?

And in any case, it strikes me that there’s a limit to what people can come here and say, and be indulged (or believed).

9. slartibartfast says:

In comparison to the general unwashed hordes
    Wow – crossword snobbery!

As a un-ashamed member of the “general unwashed horde” who is coming here for some help, this was the first one I managed to complete in 6 attempts. Thanks to Lorraine for helping me up the learning curve.

And no – I didn’t know The Entertainer (tho’ got it from the rest of the clue) and 11a was the last clue solved..

10. Paul B says:

Lovely to be heckled by another coward hiding behind a bullshit ID. Or perhaps the same cowartd hiding behind yet another bullshit ID.

11. slartibartfast says:

It’s a question of cultural depth I suppose
    Not everyone attempting Everyman is British, has a liberal arts background or is old enough to remember the ’80s.

12. Paul B says:

Though someone using the name ‘slartibartfast’ is quite probably all three.