Financial Times no.14,012 by ORENSE

Posted by Ringo on September 6th, 2012

Ringo.

A  lovely sunny autumn morning here in Yorkshire and a trouble-free puzzle from Orense to accompany my coffee. Nothing to frighten the horses, but a salutary lesson at 24ac. in double-checking an anagram before inking the solution into the grid…

ACROSS

8. DURIAN  Durban [African city] with B [bishop] replaced with I [one]

9. AIRSPEED  Anagram of rep aside

10. NIPS  Double definition (a few seems somewhat redundant)

11. KHRUSHCHEV  K [King] + H [Henry] + rush [attack] + ch [church] + (l)ev(y)

12. ANTE  Ant [social worker] + E [east, quarter]

13. EXACTITUDE  Ex [old] + act [bill] + anagram of dutie(s)

17. LEGO  E.g. [for example, say] within lo [look!]

18. ERROR  E [English] + RR [Rolls Royce, car] + or [gold]

19. MEAN  Mean(t) [intended]

21. REAL ESTATE  Ale [beer] within rest [relax] + anagram of eat

23. LAST  Least [minimum] minus e [energy]

24. EGOISTICAL  Anagram of g(old) socialite

28. MENU  Men [people] + (o)u(t)

29. DIRT-POOR  Dirt [scandal] + poor [unfortunate]

30. NETHER  Net [gain] + initial letters of Higher Expansion Rationale

DOWN

1. AUDIENCE  Double definition (I think)

2. LINSEED OIL  Anagram of old senile I

3. INNKEEPERS  Keep [tower] within (w)inner

4. CARR  Car + r(ust)

5. ERAS  Hidden in delivER A Sermon

6. SPEC  Double definition, playing on spec(tacles/ification)

7. AENEID  A + (b)e)(t) + anagram of dine

14. ATRIA  A + tria(l) [hearing]

15. TORTELLINI  Reversal of rot [rubbish] + tellin(g) [relating] + I [one]

16. TIME LIMITS  Cryptic definition

20. ABSENTEE  S [southern] + ENT [Ear, Nose and Throat, hospital department] within A + bee [worker]

22. EDGE IN  Anagram of (n)eeding

25. INTO  ‘Regular’ letters of IgNiTiOn

26. TROW  R [river] within tow [tug]

27. CORN  Co [company, firm] + R(oysto)n – a corn grows on a digit…

7 Responses to “Financial Times no.14,012 by ORENSE”

1. Andrew says:

Thanks Ringo. Small detail – this is puzzle 14,102 not 14,012.

2. Conrad Cork says:

Check the nina. Read the perimeter from to left. Chapeau! (Sorry Orense, don’t know the Portuguese.)

This delightful puzzle is the best I can remember from Orense.

3. Conrad Cork says:

sorry meant ‘top left’.

4. POS says:

Ringo, and a beautiful sunny spring morning here in Sydney. I obviously made the same mistake re 24A – it’s funny how the mind perceives how a word is spelt

5. Conrad Cork says:

I confess myself amazed that no-one else has joined me on the accolades for this rather special puzzle.

The perimeter reads ‘Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland’.

Orense, I’ll buy you a drink at the next Sloggers and Betters.

6. Orense says:

Many thanks Ringo for the analysis and to Conrad Cork et al for comments. Regret can’t make S&B for Anax’s 50th tomorrow, so that drink another time…

7. Ringo says:

Oh, goodness, how did I miss the perimetrical nina? That, of course, elevates this from pleasant to excellent. Chapeau, indeed, Orense – and well spotted, Conrad.