Sloggers and Betters Midlands, November 10th

Posted by Eileen on September 12th, 2012

Eileen.

Eileen has kindly allowed me to use her Fifteensquared address to post here, to say that I am organising the next Sloggers and Betters Midlands get-together, which will be in Derby on Saturday November 10th.

We’re going with the same venues as previously: Waterfall, and The Brunswick Inn, which are both within a minute’s walk from Derby rail station, with parking available in the station cark park for those driving to the event.  It will be 1230 for a 1300 sit-down for lunch.  Waterfall have agreed to give us a three-choice hot buffet for £8 per head if we have sufficient numbers.  In the past, people have gone on to The Brunswick in the late afternoon, having digested their lunch, to sample the excellent variety of real ales.

If previous events are anything to go by, it will go like this: meet some old friends and new faces; chew the crossword fat; and drink too much.  Some of our professional and non-professional setters will no doubt bring a puzzle for you to enjoy, either over a pint, or at home later.

If you would like to come – and new faces are definitely welcome – please say so below, and if I don’t already have your e-mail address, please mail me on pwharvey {at} msn {dot} com so that I can contact you with any further details.  Because Waterfall will need to know the numbers for the buffet, please do confirm your attendance as soon as you can.

Last time in Derby we had over fifty people attending, with more than a dozen setters.  It would be nice to see as many again this year, so if you can make it, put the date in your diary now and let me know.  Any questions, please also drop me an e-mail.

Peter/Kathryn’s Dad

30 Responses to “Sloggers and Betters Midlands, November 10th”

1. anax says:

I’ll be there!

2. anax says:

Aaaaaargh!!!

No, I won’t, sorry. Just checked the band’s diary and we’re doing a wedding. Gutted.

3. SteveM says:

Unfortunately it looks like I’m not going to be able to make it either.

4. Rorschach says:

I’ll be there!

5. nmsindy says:

I’ll be there – looking forward to it. Thanks for arranging it, K’s D.

6. Flashling says:

Don’t know for sure but a saturday a few days after nov 5 means I’m likely to be elsewhere, pity.

7. John Appleton says:

Hope so – I have a commitment on the Friday, so it’d have to be an early-morning commute from the wilds of the Northeast. Might be crazy enough to work.

8. Median says:

Sorry to miss it this time – I’ll be out of the country. Hope it goes even better than last year.

9. MikeC says:

Hi Peter

Many thanks for hosting another S & B event. I will definitely be there – looking forward to it.

10. allan_c says:

Provided the FRMS Committee doesn’t hold its November meeting that day I’ll be there. If it does, I’ll look out for you in the Brunswick afterwards.

I think there is cheaper parking than the station within reasonable walking distance – I’ll check it out.

11. Gervase says:

I’ll be there, except in case of plagues of boils or orogenic earth movements.

12. Lancastrian Bluenose says:

Sadly I won’t be able to attend: I’m in Scotland that week.Hope everyone has a great time

13. Tramp says:

Unfortunately, I won’t be there. When I mentioned it to my wife on Sunday she reminded me that I’d agreed to mind our youngest daughter whilst she takes our eldest daughter to see The Sound of Music.

14. Paul B says:

‘… see the Sound of Music.’

Synaesthesia is everywhere. Even up mountains.

15. scchua says:

Hi Peter, sorry I won’t be anywhere near Derby this year. Hopefully next time.

16. Orlando says:

Hi Peter. I hope to be there.

17. bridgesong says:

Hi Peter, I will be there and have emailed you separately with my details.

18. Jan says:

Oh, dear! No Tramp, no Anax … but, wait a minute – lovely Orlando – I’ll be there. :)

Thanks, Peter, I couldn’t make it to Manchester to wish Anax many happy returns so I was hoping there would be a Derby meet soon.

19. Samuel says:

Hi Peter; I should be there, barring major disasters or crises.

Jan, you are the very definition of coquettish …

Look forward to seeing you there. Thanks to others who have contacted me directly. We’re up to twenty plus confirmed already, with another dozen or so probables. And it’s only mid-September.

Peter

21. Lancastrian Bluenose says:

Hi Peter,I might be able to attend now. Is it OK if I let you know one way or another by the end of the week ? Colin

That’s fine, Colin – hope you can make it.

Peter

23. flashling says:

Well, sorry folks, I know this may disappoint but I intend to come now, just need to book a hotel room.

24. regalize says:

Count me in definitely,Peter.
    Liz Geear

25. gnomethang says:

I’ve just booked my tickets. Looking forward to my first Derby meet and catching up with y’all.

26. John Appleton says:

K’s D – unfortunately I’m going to have to bow out; it looks like November will be an expensive month and I can’t justify the trip.

27. jetdoc says:

We are intending to be there, though all is a bit hectic at the moment.

28. Arachne says:

Will wave and blow kisses from several miles up as we fly south for the winter. Have a lovely day, all. xx

29. andy says:

I’ll be there, really enjoyed last year.

30. Peter Biddlecombe says: