Independent 8087 / Phi

Posted by Bertandjoyce on September 14th, 2012

Bertandjoyce.

Another good Friday work-out from Phi.

We found one or two clues trickier than usual, but the surface readings were all excellent and the wordplay fell into place after a bit of lateral thinking.

There seemed to be more reliance than usual on the use of initial or last letters being used or omitted in the solutions, and rather fewer anagrams, which makes a pleasant change and demonstrates the variety of the compilers’ art.

As it is a Phi, we were sure that there must be a theme in there somewhere, and lo and behold – with a bit of electronic assistance – we find that Sir 27a/28a’s first wife’s name was 10a, the alternative title for one of his works is ‘the 1a’, that several of his works include a ’14a’, and (unsurprisingly!) he carried out more than one 18a. Perhaps there are more connections?

1   Collector to demand payment, cornering mother behind street
DUSTMAN DUN (to demand payment) around, or ‘cornering’ MA (mother) after ST (street) = collector. The first of the themed answers relating to this piece by 27/28 – also called The Lovers
5   Irishman backing foolish attack
DIARMID DIM RAID (foolish attack) reversed, or ‘backing’ = Irishman
9   Church woman’s story beginning to ruin French nobleman
CHEVALIER CH (church) + EVA (woman) + LIE (story) + R (first letter of ‘ruin’) = French nobleman
10   Woman concealed article about introduction to lover
HILDA HID (concealed) + A (article) around L (first letter, or ‘introduction’ to ‘lover’) = woman.  Not only a woman but also 27/28’s first wife. We both were really impressed with this pencil drawing of her.
11   Cheek to accept new German team
LINE-UP LIP (cheek) around, or ‘accepting’ NEU (German for ‘new’) = team
12   Wolf could do for them?
WILDFOWL An anagram of ‘wolf’ could be FOWL and an anagrind could be WILD = wildfowl could be prey to a wolf
14   Front of Regency building about certain (almost) for revival
RESURRECTION R (front of ‘Regency”) + ERECTION (building) around SUR(e) (certain, with the last letter omitted, or ‘almost’) = revival.  Another themed answer. 27/28 painted a series of resurrection paintings including this one. We’d be more interested though in seeing this one at Sandham Memorial Chapel in Hampshire, now a National Trust property – The Resurrection of the Soldiers.
18   Start with profile, scrawled? It’s often full-frontal instead
SELF-PORTRAIT Anagram of START and PROFILE (anagrind is ‘scrawled’) = a self-portrait is likely by nature to be head-on or “full-frontal”, instead of a profile, or side view.  27/28 created many self-portraits including this one.
21   Explorer, please note, taking in US state
AMUNDSEN AMUSE (please) + N (note) around, or ‘taking in’ ND (North Dakota – US state) = explorer
23   Gossip about King and Queen seen around a European capital
ANKARA ANA (gossip) around K (king) and R (queen) around A = European(?) capital – we had always understood that Turkey is not in Europe (it was once known as ‘Asia Minor’) – but a google search suggests that it is in Europe after all (although there still seems to be some confusion!!)
25   John’s energy is uncontrolled
LOOSE LOO’S (John’s) E (energy) = uncontrolled
26   Contributors to food-store discussing salad plant
DANDELION D AND ELI (letters or ‘contributors’ spelling deli – ‘food-store’) + ON (discussing) = salad plant
27/28   Artist sent screenplay for broadcast
STANLEY SPENCER Anagram of SENT SCREENPLAY (anagrind is ‘for broadcast’) = artist. The theme of the puzzle.
1   Submissive party line adopted by French company
DOCILE DO (party) + L (line) in, or ‘adopted by’ CIE (French abbreviation for a company) = submissive
2   A shade wrong about English article being promoted
SIENNA SIN (wrong) about E (English) + AN (article) reversed or ‘promoted’) = a shade
3   Do me a clear drink, with no hint of cabonation
MEASURE UP ME + A + SURE (clear) + (c)UP (‘drink’ without the first letter, or ‘hint’ of carbonation = do
4   One in love fix
NAIL A (one) in NIL (love) = fix
5   The latest thing? Study that is taken on Catholic religious instruction is about right
DERNIER CRI DEN (study) + IE (that is) + RC (Catholic) + RI (religious instruction) around R (right) = the latest thing
6   Supplier of crossword blocking other newspaper feature is a pest
APHID PHI (supplier of crossword) in, or ‘blocking’ AD (other newspaper feature) = pest
7   Man mostly against love, not quite a hero comedy role
MALVOLIO MAL(e) (man mostly) + V (against) + O (love) + LIO(n) (a hero, with the last letter omitted, or ‘not quite’) = comedy role (in “Twelfth Night”)
8   Queue for Charon’s ferry? A time that shouldn’t be missed
DEADLINE Charon is the mythical ferryman taking the dead across the River Styx in Hell, so a queue for his ferry would be a DEAD LINE = a time that should not be missed
13   Given accommodation with no end of space? Always a time when payment’s due
QUARTER DAY QUARTER(e)D (given accommodation, with the ‘e’, or last letter of ‘space’ omitted) + AY (always) = time when payment’s due
15   Patrons start to congregate right above box
CLIENTELE C (start or first letter of ‘congregation’) + LIEN (right) + TELE (box) = patrons
16   One engaged in cruel words as sufficing for fashionable hits
ASSAULTS A (one) in (in)SULTS (cruel words) with ‘in’ (fashionable) replaced by AS = hits
17   GP’s first to extol endless sleep for eye condition
GLAUCOMA G (first letter of GP) + LAU(d) (extol with the last letter omitted, or ‘endless’) + COMA (sleep) = eye condition
19   Player’s one great shot, mostly crazy
MANIAC MAN (player) + I (one) + AC(e) (great shot, ‘mostly’) = crazy
20   German writer suppressing origin of the German style
MANNER MANN (German writer) + (d)ER (German for ‘the’ without the first letter, or ‘suppressing origin’) = style
22   Live debate’s beginning satisfactorily
DWELL D (first letter or beginning of Debate) + WELL (satisfactorily) = live
24   Responsibility of a rising star?
ONUS O (of) + SUN (star) reversed, or ‘rising’ = responsibility

12 Responses to “Independent 8087 / Phi”

1. Ian SW3 says:

Thanks to blogger and setter. All in all, an enjoyable solve. My only quibble is that assaults (16d) does not mean “hits” (the setter is thinking of battery). Of course, no one cares about such distinctions except the sort of person who likes crosswords.

No doubt someone will point out that some recent dictionary has accepted this common error as correct, which is why I don’t buy recent dictionaries.

Ian

2. Bertandjoyce says:

You are not disappointed Ian – Chambers Thesaurus has ‘hit’ and ‘assault’ as synonyms!

3. rowland says:

Usage probably covers that, I’d say.

Rowly.

4. MaleficOpus says:

Thanks Phi and Bertandjoyce.

My “recent” Funk & Wagnalls dictionary (1951) defines “assault” as “tr. verb: to attack with violence”. So I don’t think it is a problem if you read it as a verb.

5. nmsindy says:

Thanks, Phi, and B&J. I too found it a bit trickier than some of Phi’s puzzles but got there in the end – most enjoyable. Favourite clues DANDELION, DWELL. Despite the focus on the painter (as you have explained) which I would not have been personally very familiar with, I see classical music (a great interest of Phi) is not forgotten with SATIE in the tenth row…

6. aztobesed says:

I couldn’t understand why Cookham didn’t get the gig at 1a with cockle, oceans and mail coming off it and then I saw the snarl-up at 3d. Pity. 6d tied me up. I had it as I in a PhD – and wondered if anybody had told the Sun that you needed a PhD to write for them? Very enjoyable but I needed you to iron out one or two wrinkles – I did not know the French company.

So thank you, B&J and Phi.

7. Thomas99 says:

Ian SW3 (1)
    That is only the legal definition of assault. By the same token you could say that “bar” only means a collection of barristers. The law often has to use words differently from normal English; that doesn’t mean all other usages become obsolete. Some relevant OED definitions here are:

- a. gen. An onset or rush upon any one with hostile intent; an attack with blows or weapons – first recorded 1297
    - The sudden rush or charge of an attacking force against the walls of a city or fortress – first recorded 1297
    -An unlawful attack upon the person of another – first recorded 1447
    - Hostile approach, attack, onset. – first recorded 1508

There is no record of a time when “assault” could only be used in the current technical legal sense, and the usage you objected to has been in the language since 1297. There is no precedent for your point of view and it isn’t logical either, although you do share it with many law undergraduates in their first term.

I too enjoyed this one, but struggled in the NW corner. Got fixated with SA being the French company, which didn’t aid matters. I too liked DANDELION, but there were enjoyable clues elsewhere too. Not heard of the artist, but no matter – you didn’t need to (although I did flirt with STEPHEN as a first name to begin with, since that was in the anagram fodder).

Thanks to S&Bs.

9. flashling says:

Theme went straight over my head but got there despite it, ta B&J and Phi

10. Phi says:

I do of course work in the justice sector and I’m well aware of the legal distinction – and I’m also aware that such things as police evidence tends to say ‘X assaulted Y’. I’m sure there must be lawyers who groan inwardly (“You mean ‘X battered Y’, surely?”) but I’ve never seen that quibble brought up. The consequences for the victim are surprisingly immutable.

I wondered about COOKHAM but dismissed it as being too unfamiliar. It’s a charming place, though, with a good Spencer museum, and it had a decent gastropub when I was there. I recall it being one of those places where they rather pedantically built the railway station near the railway rather than near the village, so it’s quite a walk in.

11. Dormouse says:

Not a breeze, but not a stinker – nicely in the middle. A couple gave me a problem at the end but only 12ac required a word search. 26ac took me ages as I don’t think I’m familiar with the dandelion as a salad plant. (I did wonder if “salad” was part of the wordplay.) To me a dandelion is a yellow weed that grows on lawns and I was always trying to kill off when I worked as a gardener.

I’d heard of 27/28 but knew little about him, so I didn’t associate 10ac with him. Curiously I’d just been looking up the fictional character Hilda Tablet the other day, so the name was fresh in my memory.

12. Martin says:

23A: I think Phi should buy a good atlas. Part of Turkey may be in Europe, but the larger part of that country is in Asia, as is Ankara, which is slap bang in the middle of Anatolia, or Asia Minor.