Everyman No. 3440 (9th September)

Posted by The Trafites on September 16th, 2012

The Trafites.

Lorraine:  Good morning to you all,

This certainly was an Everyman for everyman! So there should be no silly squabbles this week, please.

At first glance I instantly solved 12ac, 20ac, 24ac, 6dn, 19dn and 22dn. The rest was a lovely easy Sunday morning solve, apart from just one that had me stumped as to the ‘wordplay’ – 21dn – so it was Nick to the rescue, hurrah.

Big thank you to Everyman this week for a most enjoyable Everyman.

1. Churchill, perhaps, managed to achieve record height (8)
RANDOLPH RAN+DO+LP+H
5. A goddess daughter entertained (6)
AMUSED A MUSE+D
10. Take off La Bohème character beginning to corpse (5)
MIMIC MIMI+C
11. Look back on extremely rare harvest (9)
RECOLLECT R[ar]E+COLLECT
12. Film show after the witching hour (8,7)
MIDNIGHT EXPRESS EXPRESS after MIDNIGHT
13. Willingly accept loving hug (7)
EMBRACE dd
15. I held back nothing from state (5)
IDAHO I+(HAD<)+O
17. Sound home to rent (5)
INLET IN+LET
18. Close to refrigerator, large jug brought in by beer maker (7)
BREWERY ([refridgerato]R+EWER) in BY
20. Then I exercised, completely naked (2,3,10)
IN THE ALTOGETHER (THEN I*) + ALTOGETHER
23. NCO bringing in last of intake for physical (9)
CORPOREAL [intak]E in CORPORAL
24. Vehicle coming from Ayr rolled over (5)
LORRY hidden reverse: aYR ROLled
25. Carol I had introduced – short track (6)
SIDING I’D in SING(carol)
26. Concentrate on studies within church (8)
CONDENSE ON DENS in CE
1. Be sure about subscriber (8)
REMEMBER RE+MEMBER
2. Rover with leg cocked, barking (5)
NOMAD (ON<)[leg (side)=on (side) in cricket]+MAD
3. Fashioned on one club, one I am in very rarely (4,2,1,4,4)
ONCE IN A BLUE MOON (ON ONE CLUB, ONE I AM)*
4. Paper featuring roguish chaps in part (9)
PARCHMENT (ARCH[rougish]+MEN) in PT
6. Pays Emerald Isle criminal – I won’t say a word (2,4,3,6)
MY LIPS ARE SEALED (PAYS EMERALD ISLE)*
7. Boy has two notes for docker (9)
STEVEDORE STEVE+DO+RE
8. Hate Department of Employment evaluation (6)
DETEST D(o)E+TEST
9. Hurt? One must ring hospital (4)
ACHE ACE around H
14. Surgeon confined to bed developed a reaction to a burn? (9)
BLISTERED [dr]LISTER in BED
15. Poorly girl ringing round over blood group after one doctor confused situation (9)
IMBROGLIO ((GIRL*) around O) + O(blood group)) all after I+MB
16. Great beat, for example (3,5)
EYE RHYME punnish: eye rhyme=words that look to rhyme but do not, like ‘move’ and ‘love'; ‘great’ and ‘beat’ etc.
19. Record American throwing event (6)
DISCUS DISC+US
21. Collapse, perhaps, in a Staffordshire town? (4)
LEEK punning clue: collapse=keel over, eg (KEEL<)
22. Wading bird appearing in other one (5)
HERON hidden: otHER ONe
 ………………………………………

5 Responses to “Everyman No. 3440 (9th September)”

1. sidey says:

A good bit of everything in this one. No complaints here.

Indeed. A lovely puzzle in the Everyman style. I liked RANDOLPH, but needed you to explain LEEK, despite living a short distance from it!

Thanks Lorraine and Everyman.

3. Bamberger says:

All solved but I’ve come to realise that there are some clues that you would probably never get unless you’d seen before e.g
    14d Lister =surgeon
    16d

I also couldn’t see why leek

4. John says:

I struggled with the parsing for 18a, as I had thought the ‘Close to’ indicated the BY, rather than the last letter of refrigerator, then I was hoping R was a standard abbreviation for refrigerator (and all a bit muddled!)!

5. Donna says:

Thank you, Everyman and Lorraine, for another enjoyable puzzle and blog. I, too, had trouble with 21 Down. I had the crossing letters and figured the answer had to be Staffordshire town, my knowledge of which is nil! I googled “Staffordshire towns,” got Leek, but now had to figure out how it worked in the clue. Actually, the first thing that occurred to me was “keel,” which would make it a reversal clue, except that there was no reversal indicator. At a loss, I googled “collapse in Staffordshire town” and learned that in November, 2009 there was the collapse of a canal bank and towpath in Leek! “Aha!” I thought to myself, “I didn’t know about it because I’m an American.” Judging from everything I’ve read from other solvers here, I may have dug too deeply! The other problem was with 2 Down. I knew the answer had to be “nomad” but for the life of me couldn’t understand how “leg” equalled “on.” Now I see that it’s a cricket term, and since I can’t even begin to understand American football or baseball, I will simply accept it and store it away in case it should surface again! All in all, a fun puzzle! I hope you all have a wonderful week ahead and that your first taste of autumn weather is as beautiful as ours is here in the northeastern USA.