Independent 8090 / Punk

Posted by duncanshiell on September 18th, 2012

duncanshiell.

I usually find Independent puzzles on a Tuesday to be slightly different from Monday and Wednesday fare.  This was no exception.

I’m not a film buff so my knowledge of the filmography of MORGAN FREEMAN is very patchy.  The film I know best – INVICTUS – didn’t make into the puzzle.  Today doesn’t seem to be any special anniversary for FREEMAN – born 1 June 1937 [75  this year])

The entry that broke the back of the puzzle for me was THE SHAWSHANK REDEMPTION.  My wife tells me we have a DVD of it in the house, but I don’t think I’ve seen it through.   I’ve vaguely heard of DRIVING MISS DAISY and got it from the wordplay.  AMISTAD is completrly new to me.

I like the word pictures that Punk generates in his clues.  Particular favourites todaty were TEAT ROLL,  REDCAR PET, ADONIS [dish]; and Flower girl seller.

I’m a sucker for the complex wordplays in simple entries, so ANYBODY has to be my clue of the day.

There was good misdirection with Chambers [the dictionary of choice for many compilers], and EASE for two Es. I suspect the purists might not like EASE being used in that fashion.

A good fun puzzle from Punk

No. Clue Wordplay Entry

Split visible through jiggling of breast, getting down to the basics (8,4)

RIPPED (torn; split) contained in (visible through) an anagram of (jiggling) BREAST

ST (RIPPED) BARE*

STRIPPED BARE (reduced to is basic core; having taken all one’s clothes off; getting down to basics)

Favourite at Teeside races, one under the Queen? (3,6)

REDCAR (town on the seafront in the North East of England near the river Tees; Teeside; REDCAR also has a horse racecourse) + PET (favourite)

RED CARPET (a strip of carpet put out for the highly favoured to walk on; treatment as a very important person; what the Queen might walk on [under her feet])

Author John, back shortly (5)

TOILET (‘john’ is American slang for the lavatory) excluding the final letter (shortly) T, reversed (back)

ELIOT (reference George ELIOT [Mary Anne Evans], author)

Chambers isn’t clever – it’s stupid! (10)

Anagram of (it’s stupid) ISN’T CLEVER

VENTRICLES (chambers of the heart)

Feature opening, not closing (4)

START (opening) excluding the final letter (not closing) T

STAR (as a verb, feature)

Snuggle down with ten fine women’s pert, sensual, white bottoms (6)

NESTLE (final letters of [bottoms] TEN FINE WOMEN’S PERT SENSUAL WHITE)

NESTLE (snuggle down)

By turning in a positive gesture, unknown character becomes no-one in particular (7)

BY reversed (turning) contained in (in) (A + NOD [positive gesture]) + Y (symbol for an unknown value in mathematics)

A N (YB<) OD Y

ANYBODY (no-one in particular)

21 / 19

13’s classic car – one can go! (6,7)

MORGAN (The MORGAN motor company has produced classic sports car in Great Britain) + FREE MAN (a man who can go about his business without let or hindrance)

MORGAN FREEMAN (actor and film star)

Lawyer finds way to break obstacle (9)

ST (street; way) contained in (break) BARRIER (obstacle)

BARRI (ST) ER

BARRISTER (person who is qualified to plead at the bar in a lawcourt; lawyer)

30 /26 21 19 in this, with prison theme, when task had to be unbearable (3,9,10) Anagram of (unbearable) PRISON THEME WHEN TASK HAD THE SHAWSHANK REDEMPTION (film starring MORGAN FREEMAN [21 19].  I know it was set in a prison, but that pretty well exhausts my knowledge of the film)

From which a waiter might serve pap in a bap? You must be upset! (3,7)

TEAT ROLL (one definition of ‘pap’ is nipple, breast, teat, so a TEAT ROLL [bap] would be pap in a bap) + YE (you) reversed (must be upset; down clue)

TEAT ROLL EY<

TEA TROLLEY (a waiter may well serve you from a TEA TROLLEY)

Stroke birds, models (8)

PAT (stroke) + TERNS (long-winged aquatic birds)

PATTERNS (models)

5 / 3

Flower girl seller – do as 21 19 does, for his work? (4,6)

DEE (reference River Dee; flower) + PIMP (a man who lives with, and sometimes solicits for, a prostitute and lives off her earnings,a girl seller) + ACT (do) as MORGAN FREEMAN [actor] does)

DEEP IMPACT (film starring MORGAN FREEMAN [21 19])

21 19 in this admits a failing (7)

Anagram of (failing) ADMITS A

AMISTAD (film starring MORGAN FREEMAN [21 19])

Utter nutter’s tyranny starts to divide the country (6)

NT (first letters of [starts to] NUTTER and TYRANNY) contained in (divide) EIRE (country)

E (NT) IRE

ENTIRE (all; completely; utter)

8 /25 / 28

Virgin’s dismay is compounded by daughter – 21 19’s in it (7,4,5)

D (daughter) + an anagram of (compounded) VIRGIN’S DISMAY IS

DRIVING MISS DAISY (film starring MORGAN FREEMAN [21 19])

Dish Chinese attorney’s thrown up (6)

(SINO [denoting Chinese] + DA [District Attorney]) reversed (thrown up; down clue)

(AD ONIS)<

ADONIS (a particularly handsome youth; a dish)

Probation’s unlikely when sucking up (10)

Anagram of (unlikely) PROBATION’S

ABSORPTION (the act of sucking in/up)

Possible instruction before and after, violin performance? (4,1,3)

TAKE A BOW (before playing the violin, the performaer will lift up the violin and the BOW)

TAKE A BOW (after the performance one hopes the violinist will be able to BOW to the audience and acknowledge the applause)  double definition based on two pronunciations of BOW

Catch with ease, say, restraining partners, bolted up (7)

(E + E – two Es [sounds like {say} EASE]) containing (restraining) (NS [North and South, partners in a game of bridge] + [RAN {bolted}reversed {up; down clue}])

E (NS NAR<) E

ENSNARE (trap; catch)

Break with custom, acquiring further awareness (7)

RITE (a ceremonial form or observance; custom) containing (acquiring)  ESP (extrasensory perception; further awareness)

R (ESP) ITE

RESPITE (temporary cessation of something that is tiring or painful; break)

Responsible chap collecting skimmed sediment (6)

GUY (chap) containing (collecting) (SILT [sediment] excluding the first letter [skimmed] S)

GUILTY (responsible)

In a film, ultimate in God screened (6)

D (final letter of [ultimate in] GOD) contained in (in) (A + MIST [film])

A MI (D) ST

AMIDST (in the middle of; screened by?)

Shortage never-ending in conclusion (6)

R (final letter of [ending] NEVER) contained in (in) DEATH (ending)

DEA (R) TH

DEARTH (shortage)

Investment in economy thriving, don’t believe a word of it! (4)

MYTH (hidden word in [investment in] ECONOMY THRIVING)

MYTH (a commonly-held belief that is untrue, or without foundation; don’t believe a word of it)

18 Responses to “Independent 8090 / Punk”

1. Norman L in France says:

Thanks, Duncan
    Anyone else have CHIN(K) for 13? It was one of my first in, and resisted for quite a while.

Many thanks, Duncan.

This was fun, and typically for the Indy Tuesday slot, a themed puzzle. I couldn’t get the gateway clue, but then got DRIVING MISS DAISY from the anagram and solved it backwards from there. THE SHAWSHANK REDEMPTION was next, but the others took a bit of teasing out.

The clueing for ADONIS and ELIOT, crossword staples, was inventive, and I thought ANYBODY was good as well.

Norman, I can see how you got to CHIN, but luckily I got some crossing letters before I solved that one.

3. Ian SW3 says:

Yes, I was 22d of that too.

Ian

4. Querulous says:

Another CHIN fan here. It was my first one in and survived until AMISTAD gave it the boot with 3 clues left.

5. rowland says:

On the easy side for an Indy but good. Theme-wise I suppose you can moan that either you write them in or you need Goofle.

Many thanks to Paul and to arcg-blogger Duncan!

Rowly.

6. sandforb says:

Very similar story to Querulous. I can’t remember another wrong answer that worked so cleanly, I didn’t consider it being wrong bar a nagging worry about how CHIN could possibly work in the clue for 21/19!

7. crypticsue says:

Someone commented on our of our setter’s alter ego’s puzzles that he hadn’t been so rude lately. A read of the first clue in this one proves that theory wrong instantly. A very gettable theme, only had to look up AMISTAD. Thanks to Punk for a not too difficult fun puzzle and to Duncan for the blog.

8. Paul A says:

I took 23d to just be ‘IN’, with the D screened by A MIST

9. Thomas99 says:

Paul A @8
    Me too. Clever clue, I thought.

10. flashling says:

@CrypticSue I think that was me, but it seems he was just saving them for today, you didn’t need to be told the setter here.

Didn’t fall into the CHIN(k) trap as I’d read other clues indicating 21-19 was an actor leading to star quite early.

Fine stuff thanks Punk and Duncan

11. duncanshiell says:

Paul A @ 8

Good point – That’s sounds a better explanation than mine.

12. John Appleton says:

It’s not often I do Indy puzzles but with more free time than usual this week, I’m giving them a go. As a regular Grauniad solver, I shouldn’t have had to look up Punk’s identity to work out why the style appeared familiar.

Very enjoyable, if straightforward, thanks to the films being known to me. Today’s Guardian also carried a big-screen theme, though one that wasn’t quite so attuned to my film knowledge, so this did make up for it somewhat.

13. JollySwagman says:

Great fun. Yeah – Chink got me held up for a while. Good to see the Paul/Punk smut trail hotting up again – seemed to have gone – well not cold – but coolish – for a while.

Thanks both.

14. yvains says:

I got delayed by 13 as well – but (probably less excusably) by FACE(T), not CHIN(K) :)

Particularly enjoyed 2D (the best, imo, of three ways this answer has been clued in crosswords I’ve done over the last couple of months) and the wordplay of 5,3.

15. Dormouse says:

Yeah, I thought of “face” for 13ac – “chin” didn’t occur to me at all – but wasn’t convinced and didn’t enter it. And like KD, “Driving Miss Daisy” was my entry point. No, I’ve never seen any of his films, either, but I had heard of them.

Not as difficult as I thought it was going to be, but 11ac and 7dn took ages at the end.

16. nmsindy says:

Yes, my first entry was CHIN(k). But doubts appeared early on as it did not seem to make sense in the context of the clues. Also my knowledge of the films is pretty vague so the puzzle took me quite a while. So it was good that anagrams were given for most of them which helped me work some of them out. Then I’d to look them up to see what connected them having, not, I’m afraid, heard of the actor. Many thanks, Punk, and Duncan and could I appeal to PA at #12, not to refer to solutions to another of today’s puzzles in the blog on this one! Not started it yet!

Thanks, Punk, and Duncan – I agree AMIDST = In (definition)

17. NealH says:

Yes, I too confidently put in Chin and then couldn’t work out what it had to do with Morgan Freeman (Is he nicknamed The Chin or something like that? Sounds more like Kirk Douglas.) I didn’t dismiss it until I was down to the last couple of clues and realized 6 down had to be an anagram. Lots of nice trademark Punk clues that you’d be embarrassed about trying to solve if someone was looking over your shoulder.

18. Bertandjoyce says:

A late night solve (again) and we think it’s all been said. We’ve been catching up on Inquisitors since our return from Italy.

An enjoyable solve – a slow start until ‘Driving Miss Daisy’ appeared from the anagram.

Thanks Punk and Duncan.