Posted by Pete Maclean on September 27th, 2012
Prize puzzle from the Weekend FT of September 15, 2012
Here is another impressive puzzle from Cincinnus. The number of ingenious clues is amazing with, I think, 26D (CHINA) being the best. I am also struck by 30A (ARKANSAS) which is an &lit., 2D (RIALTO), 8D (NORSEMAN) and 17D (EMMENTAL).
Tthe puzzle contains a tribute to Pink Martini (14A, 19A) and its lead singer, China Forbes (26D, 22D). In spite of being a fan of this musical group myself, I totally missed the references until Cincinnus pointed them out to me (see comment #1 below).
1, 13. PORTLAND STONE – anagram of PATTERNS ON OLD
5. OREGON – O (old) + REG[i]ON (area excluding current). ‘I’ is used as a symbol for electrical current.
9. FLAG DOWN – FLAG (Iris) + DOWN (depressed)
10. LINEAR – A (area) in LINER (ship)
12. EATING OUT – anagram of AUNTIE GOT
14. PINK – hidden word. Is this intended as a hidden-word clue and nothing more? I cannot decide. The reason I wonder is that Cumberland Gap is a rather obscure location but one that is, I understand, noted as a habitat of a wildflower called the Fire Pink.
16. GORILLA – anagram of ALLIG(at)OR IS
19. MARTINI – ART (skill) in MINI (dress)
21. SODA – S (singular) + ADO (fuss) backwards
24. EAGLE – double/cryptic definition, the second referring to golf
25. PRESCHOOL – anagram of POOLS CHER
27. TITIAN – TIT (bird) + I (one) + AN (an)
28. SCRIABIN – S (small) + RI (Rhode Island) in CABIN (shack)
29. LUNATE – AN (article) backwards in LUTE (instrument)
30. ARKANSAS – A (a) + R (river) + KANSAS (state) &lit. The Arkansas River is a tributary of the Mississippi.
1. PUFFER – double definition
2. RIALTO – anagram of TAILOR
3. LED ON – LE (the French) + DON (teacher)
4. NEW YORK – double definition. Queens is a borough of New York City. The second definition refers to the song, “New York, New York”.
6. REINSURED – anagram of DIRE NURSE
7. GRENOBLE – ERG (bit of work) backwards + NOBLE (illustrious)
8. NORSEMAN – N (Knight) + [h]ORSEMAN (rider heading off)
11. STAG – GATS (arms) backwards
15. ITINERANT – anagram of AIR IN TENT
17. EMMENTAL – E[vening] M[eal] + MENTAL (crackers)
18. FRIGHTEN – RIGHT (OK) in FEN (bog)
20. IMPS – hidden word
21. SPENCER – double definition referring to Diana Spencer and Spencer Tracy
22. FORBES – B (black) in FORES[t] (forest, time out)
23. PLANTS – T (tons) in PLANS (intends)
26. CHINA – IN (in) in CHA (tea)