Everyman No. 3442 (23rd September)

Posted by The Trafites on September 30th, 2012

The Trafites.

Lorraine:  Good morning Everyman lovers,

Well I have to begin by saying that first in was 21dn, then that was it for a wee while.
Then I got the clue that popped up a few weeks ago, 8dn. Well my crossword head just wasn’t
on again this week so simpered to Nick who kindly got me going.

It is always so obvious once you know the answer! Anyway still enjoyable as ever and I hope you all enjoyed it also.

Big thank you to Everyman as always.

1. Infant born during recess (4)
BABY B in BAY
3. Passionate tale involving maiden (6)
STORMY STORY around M
9. Undergoing a state of transition at home, plotting changes involving text (2,3,7,3)
IN THE MELTING POT THEME in IN+(PLOTTING*)
10. Draws on novel alibi to reveal talents (9)
ABILITIES TIES after (ALIBI*)
11. A bit of cork in my French wine (5)
MACON A+C(ork) in MON(Fr. my)
12. English home with electronic source of power (6)
ENGINE ENG+IN+E(lectronic)
13. Messy hit and run (8)
SLAPDASH SLAP+DASH
16. General behaviour in a Manhattan street (8)
BROADWAY GENERAL(broad)+WAY
17. Crime writer’s killers left out (6)
SAYERS S(l)AYERS ref. Dorothy Sayers
20. Attack head of sixth-form college (3,2)
SET ON S(ith-form)+ETON
22. Available in large quantities where Carrie Watts grew up (9)
BOUNTIFUL CW is a character from The Trip to Bountiful
google to the rescue
23. Deliver free (4,2,3,6)
COME TO THE RESCUE dd
24. Type of ring, reportedly for a young bird (6)
CYGNET homophone: SIGNET
25. River goddess (4)
ISIS dd
1. Body of troops ordered to capture equipment (7)
BRIGADE RIG in BADE
2. Something for the beach, a bit much? Gent so embarrassed (7,7)
BATHING COSTUME (A BIT MUCH GENT SO)*
3. Move by one knight to intervene (4,2)
STEP IN STEP+I+N
4. Boy let us out, dim-wittedly (8)
OBTUSELY (BOY LET US)*
5. Motive, primarily, behind very short note (5)
MINIM M(otive) after MINI(very short)
6. Was king around end of thirties – abdicated (8)
RESIGNED REIGNED(was King) around (thirtie)S
7. Constable, perhaps, getting results with tricks used in picture-making (7,7)
SPECIAL EFFECTS SPECIAL[constable]+EFFECTS(getting results)
8. Very unpleasant smell coming from tail of cartilaginous fish (6)
STENCH (cartilaginou)S+TENCH
14. You’d think you’d find alligators on one, but you won’t! (4,4)
PEAR TREE cd ref. alligator pear – avocado
15. Overlooking man, Batman and Robin foolishly talk at length (6,2)
RABBIT ON (BAT[man]+ROBIN)*
16. Cut and dry in brief space of time (6)
BISECT SEC in BIT
18. Joins privates after one drops out (7)
SOLDERS SOLD(i)ERS
19. Boy in game, forward (6)
RUPERT RU(rugy union)+PERT
21. Dapper, some aldermen at Tynwald (5)
NATTY hidden: aldermeN AT TYnwald

6 Responses to “Everyman No. 3442 (23rd September)”

1. John says:

I’m not sure how ‘involving text’ gives ‘THEME’ in 9ac. Can anyone elaborate please?

2. John says:

How rude, I forgot to say thanks to Lorraine and Everyman – Thank you both.

3. Lorraine says:

Good morning John,

One definition of theme is ‘a thesis, a brief essay or exercise’ and definition of text is ‘a theme’ both found in Chambers dictionary.

Hope that explains it for you John.

Thanks, Lorraine.

One or two tricky ones here – in fact I failed on SAYERS, and like you had to go to Mrs Google to understand BOUNTIFUL.

COME TO THE RESCUE I wasn’t dead keen on, since ‘free’ and ‘deliver’ are such close synonyms that it barely counted as a dd. But I did like MACON and RABBIT ON.

Thanks to Everyman for the puzzle.

5. Donna says:

Thank you once again to both Everyman and Lorraine! Lorraine, 21 Down and 8 Down were the first two I filled in also. Like you, I remembered the “tench” from a few weeks ago. This puzzle gave me a bit of a struggle, but I finally did manage to complete it. At 15 Down I could see what was required to solve the clue but the expression “rabbit on” is totally new to me. I like it, though, and found myself remembering the wonderful “Watership Down” and imagined Hazel and all the other bunnies “rabbiting on.” Is this a common expression in England? Lots of really nice clues in this one. I especially liked 24 Across and 18 Down. For some reason it took me a while to get 4 Down though I knew it had to be an anagram. I guess I was being a bit obtuse! I agree with Kathryn’s Dad about 23 Across, but at least it was easy to figure out. Looking forward to this week’s puzzle now. Wishing you all a wonderful week ahead!

6. Lorraine says:

Hi Donna,

Yes rabbit on is very common here in England.

Chas and Dave did a record called rabbit, all about a

woman who does not shut up. Cant imagine what gave them the idea!