Inquisitor 1248: Second, Third and Fourth by Nudd

Posted by HolyGhost on October 3rd, 2012

HolyGhost.

A gentle but enjoyable puzzle – with a learning element. Four consecutive letters to be removed from 24 clues before solving {novel}, the first letters of each group giving a Father’s {note capital} final utterance, literally indicating treatment of 10 answers before entry. The quotation refers to another Father {capital again} whose last words mention a date of dual significance to both. The occasion is represented by the perimeter, whose unchecked letters “aptly give FATHER FINDS PEACE IN VA”.

Those capital F Fathers and the “finds peace in VA” suggested the US state of Virginia and the Founding Fathers of the USA. That apart, there was not much doing on the first pass, though I did notice that there were 10 answers that were longer than the their entries, in each case by 4 letters. THRIVES at 4d and TAPE DRIVES at 28d, together with CAPTIVES at 34d, was a pretty strong hint of the Answer → Entry modification.

There were a few hiccups along the way, e.g. [uncl]uttered v. u[nclu]ttered, and some 4-letter sets were a bit difficult to extract, e.g. h[abit]ats, but the grid became filled, and the quotation apparent: THOMAS JEFFERSON STILL SURV–, these being the last words of second US president John Adams, d.04 July 1826. And the aforementioned Thomas Jefferson, third US president, also died on 04 July 1826 after uttering the words “This is the Fourth?”

I’d started this one late on Saturday, the last day of summer it seems; it’s autumn tomorrow, so go to bed … Sunday morning, and it’s on to the perimeter. ANNIVERSARY fell out, and other words materialised with help of the given unchecked letters, to read FIFTIETH ANNIVERSARY OF US DECLARATION OF INDEPENDENCE.

What a coincidence! Second: president; Third: president; and Fourth: of July. Thanks, Nudd.

No. Answer Removal Wordplay
8 EDIT [Team]work [DIET]*
11 CLONE [Hard-]copy L(acklustre) after C(hapter) + ONE
12 STARCHES [Open] STARES (looks fixedly) around C(hurch)
13 NONCES new[-Made] N(ew) S(eries) around ONCE (one time)
15 TILERS h[Abit]ats R (recipe, take) in TILES (hats)
16 CENSOR   ENS (being) + O (nothing) in CR(edit)
18 DYES new[Sboy] D(aughter) YES (certainly)
21 SERENER nut[Jobs] EN (nut {printing}) in SERER (drier)
22 NISEI   NIS (friendly being) + IE (that is) rev.
24 ESSIVES   OBSESSIVES (those over-preoccupied) − OBS(cure)
{not sure that ESSIVES are “grammatical relations“}
25 PERRY [Eel-s]pear PER(son) + RY (railway)
26 EN GARDE [Fur t]epee [ENRAGED]*
29 HALO [Floo]ring A(ustralian) L(eft) in HO(use)
33 ESCAPE s[Ensu]ally E(lope)S + CAPE (head)
35 ERASER a[Rran]ge ERA (age) + S(h)E(r)R(y)
36 APERÇU   APE (clumsy one) + RCU (remote control unit)
37 DECAMPED off[Side] DEED (exploit) around CAMP (football match, obs)
39 NEIGH bay[Onet] [HINGE]*
40 SAID u[Nclu]ttered double definition
No. Answer Removal Wordplay
1 IDIOCY   ICY (cold) around DIO(l) (alcohol)
2 FIANCÉ [Suit] [IN CAFE]*
3 INTENSIVES   TENSIVE (causing tight sensation) in INS(urance)
4 THRIVES   T(ense) [SHIVER]*
5 ACHIER mor[Tgag]e ACHIEVER (performer) − E(uropean) V(illa)
6 NOSEY p[Ilfe]ry (u)SE(r) in NOY (trouble, obs)
7 IN ORDER   (brech)IN OR DER(by)
9 MASSIVES   [MESS + VISA]*
10 ACTRESS [Land]lady AC (ante cibum, before food) + TRES (very) S(pecial)
14 POSSESSIVES   POSSE (constabulary group) S(ection) SKIVES (evades duty) − K (a thousand)
17 BEEHIVES   BEE (group of quilters) + HIVES (laryngitis)
19 SEAWIVES   EA (water) in SWIVES (makes love, archaic)
20 FEDERAL wild[Life] ED(ucated) in FERAL (wild)
23 IN BRIEF   INF(antry) around BRIE (cheese)
27 RE-ECHO [Sank]o O after REECH (smoke)
28 TAPE DRIVES   TAPED (recorded) RIVES (splits)
30 AERIAL [Unla]den AE (one, Scot) + LAIR (den) rev.
31 LACTIC [Runs] LAIC (non-professional) around CT (court)
32 RADIO [Vera]city AD (commercial) in RIO (city)
34 CAPTIVES   APT (apartment) in CIVES (herbs)
38 MOTIVES   T(ransatlantic) I(nfluences) in MOVES (manoeuvres)
hit counter

5 Responses to “Inquisitor 1248: Second, Third and Fourth by Nudd”

1. John Lowe says:

Thanks to HG for a comprehensive blog.

At 24a Chambers would appear to support Nudd in using essives as grammatical relations:

essive n the essive case.

case n (any of the specific types of) grammatical relation of a noun, pronoun, or (in some languages) adjective to another word in the sentence, and/or its variation in form to express that relation.

Thanks also to Nudd for an enjoyable puzzle with a fascinating denouement.

2. Hi of hihoba says:

Thanks HolyGhost and Nudd. Always nice to have a learning experience while solving.

I was a bit surprised by the lack of IVES at the end of the quote being used to “literally indicate” the treatment of the 10 answers, especially as, like HG (and most others I suspect), that I had come to the conclusion about the removal of IVES before discovering the quote. I was expecting something a bit more obscure!

I wish I could keep the ante cibum abbreviation in mind. It always escapes me, so thanks for the explanation of 10D.

Nice references and fun researching 2,3 and 4.

3. regalize says:

A rare IQ for me in that I completed it on a Spanish beach with no dictionary or thingummies (for clarification purposes, you understand). When I realised that IVES was missing, I spent (wasted) a lot of time looking for that other ‘father’, Big Daddy (Burl Ives).
    A great puzzle, so thanks, Nudd and HG.

4. Chris Jones says:

I was on hols too, but had my Seiko electronic dictionary (shame it wasn’t a Frnaklin’s) but hardly needed it, even for checking. It was a straightforward puzzle, though have to confess that I was aided by having watched the TV series John Adams on DVD all the way through only a few weeks ago.

An enjoyable puzzle and rather satisfying.

Thanks Nudd.

5. Nudd says:

Many thanks to HolyGhost and other posters here – your feedback is much appreciated.
    When I was doing my O level History approaching 50 years ago, it seemed that America (and a few other places too) did not have any. Recently trying to bridge a few gaps, I unearthed the delightful coincidences of July 4th 1826 – and soon thereafter discovered the amusing ODQ version of John Adams’s last words. Given all of that, I was clearly obliged to try and represent it in a crossword … after all, ODQ had even suggested how many letters to tamper with in each affected clue!
    I’m pleased that the result met with some favour, and look forward to entertaining you all another day.
    Thanks again