Financial Times 14,116 by Mudd

Posted by Pete Maclean on October 4th, 2012

Pete Maclean.

Prize puzzle from the Weekend FT of September 22, 2012

Mudd has a few very clever clues here: 10A (COINCIDE), 24A (ZEBRA), 28A (LIMEKILN) and 11D (IRVING BERLIN), and a couple that seem surprisingly imprecise (12A and 7D).

1. PICKLE – double definition (with ’20′ referring to 20 across)
4. SKIN-DEEP – KIND (sort) in SEEP (leak)
9. NORWAY – R[uin] in NO WAY (I stubbornly refuse)
10. COINCIDE – COIN (sovereign) + CIDE (killing of)
12. ROLL – [t]ROLL (crust missing in giant). Why should ‘crust’ indicate the first letter as opposed to the last or both?
13. BRUTE – BRUT (dry) + E[yes]
14. COLT – double definition
17. MISS UNIVERSE – cryptic definition
20. MANGO CHUTNEY – C (cold) in anagram of THE YOUNG MAN
23. AXLE – L (line) in AXE (tool)
24. ZEBRA – [gri]Z[zly] + anagram of BEAR
25. EPEE – E (point) + PEE (go!)
28. LIMEKILN – anagram of E[mmenta]L MILK IN
29. MURDER – RED RUM (old horse) backwards
30. SWEEPING – double definition
31. MOUSSE – S[ilent] in MOUSE (quiet thing)

1. PANORAMA – A PA NOR A MA
2. CARELESS – [manhol]E in CARLESS (possibly walking)
3. LOAF – double definition. The second definition is an obscure one: My Chambers defines ‘bloomer’ as a longish crusty loaf of white bread with rounded ends and a number of slashes across the top.
5. KNOW THE SCORE – double definition
6. NINE – hidden word
7. EDITOR – anagram of [w]ROTE DI[ary]. Surely this is rather sloppy!
8. PRETTY – R (right) in PETTY (trivial)
11. IRVING BERLIN – IRVING (Washington) + BERLIN (capital)
15. DUBAI – DUB (name) + AI (perfect)
16. PSEUD – homophone (“sued”)
18. IN SPADES – double definition, the first referring presumably to bridge
19. BY GEORGE – BY GEORGE [Orwell]
21. NAPLES – anagram of PLANES
22. FLAMBE – LAMB (meat) in F[lam]E (fire gutted)
26. SKIP – double definition
27. LUDO – reverse hidden word

5 Responses to “Financial Times 14,116 by Mudd”

1. Sil van den Hoek says:

I do not think 7d is “rather sloppy”, it is Mudd sticking his neck out and trying to do something new.
    It is a double device that I haven’t seen before during my stay in Crosswordland.
    First, one has to take a part of “wrote diary” ['to a certain entent'] ie [w]ROTE DI[ary], then we have to take an anagram of it (‘badly’).
    For me, it works.
    For others, it’s perhaps one step too far.

2. John Newman says:

I can’t agree with you Sil. If we solvers are to take part of a word or phrase, that is any undefined part, then the setter can choose any phrase he likes that fits the canvas. Might be clever to fit the canvas, but not very clever if we are to guess how many and which of the letters from the phrase were are to use.

I had wondered here whether Mudd had deceived his eyes and saw a reverse hidden word.

Pete, can you enlighten me in what way the “dying to see it” refers to Naples, please?

I also wondered whether Lime Kiln should be two words.

3. Pete Maclean says:

John, Ah, yes, perhaps I should have mentioned that connection. There is a fairly well known expression, “See Naples and die”. This is, as far as I know, a statement created by Neapolitans themselves (and intended to convey the beauties of their city, not its dangers).

I wondered about LIMEKILN versus LIME KILN myself. My Chambers does not list the single-word version but my Compact OED does. From this and other sources, it seems clear that both versions are deemed proper and acceptable. It is unclear which version is more used. Googling the terms provides what is probably a skewed view since there is a place called Lime Kiln.

4. Bamberger says:

Failed on 24a, 25a (guessed it might be epee but couldn’t see why), 29a, 31a & 19 d (thought it must be “my” something). All clear now.

5. Keeper says:

Thanks for the blog, Pete. Needed help parsing 7d; stumped by 16d.

First time through, I confidently wrote in “HOLE” for 23a (a different meaning of “shaft”). Of course, when I came to 21d, I realized the H couldn’t be correct if I was looking for an anagram of “planes”…