Everyman No. 3444 (7th October)

Posted by The Trafites on October 14th, 2012

The Trafites.

Lorraine:  Good morning happy solvers,

Nice Sunday morning solve with nothing too taxing.

First in was 6dn and last in was 4ac. Favourites this week are;
11, 13 and 22ac, 1, 6, 14 and 21dn.
Big thank you to Everyman for a most enjoyable solve.

1. Short task involving one group of singers (5)
CHOIR CHOR(e) around I
4. Relish a TV broadcast, a Sheridan play (3,6)
THE RIVALS (RELISH A TV)*
9. One retaliating against English sovereign after first of attacks (7)
AVENGER (V(verus, against)+ENG+ER) after A(ttacks)
10. Former partner, large in size, a model (7)
EXAMPLE EX+AMPLE
11. After one chapter, praise one American novel (1,8)
I CLAUDIUS I+C+LAUD+I+US
12. Headdress, one nicked by a despicable type on the way over (5)
TIARA I in (A RAT) reversed
13. Marksman notes owl (12)
SHARPSHOOTER SHARPS(as opposed to flat notes)+HOOTER
17. Stupid person crossing road with compiler and dog (6,6)
GORDON SETTER (GOON around RD)+SETTER
20. Statue of sorcerer on island (5)
IMAGE MAGE after I
21. Slander a small individual I introduced (9)
ASPERSION A+S+(I in PERSON)
22. Sauce boat shattered when drop of chilli poured in (7)
TABASCO (AS(when)+C(hilli) in (BOAT*)
23. Popular barrister to sum up (2,5)
IN BRIEF IN+BRIEF
24. Patience has dream about beheaded spy (9)
TOLERANCE TRANCE around (m)OLE
25. Keen listener describing good ending to programme (5)
EAGER EAR around (G+(programm)E); ‘describing’=’going around’
1. Rascal is shaking girl (8)
CLARISSA (RASCAL IS)*
2. Extra weight in saddle (8)
OVERLOAD cdd
3. Distinguished academic, frightful gossiper for sure (6,9)
REGIUS PROFESSOR (GOSSIPER FOR SURE)*
4. Discoloured, one outhouse below mountain lake (9)
TARNISHED (I SHED) after TARN
5. Not fluctuating, small odds (5)
EVENS EVEN+S
6. Their evil banter aroused tsar (4,3,8)
IVAN THE TERRIBLE (THEIR EVIL BANTER)*
7. Come on the market with a soft fruit (6)
APPEAR A+P(soft)+PEAR
8. Watches wife pocketing a yo-yo (6)
SEESAW A in (SEES W(ife))
14. One who may know a lot about tents? (9)
OENOPHILE cd; ‘tent’ is a deep-red Spanish wine
15. Hitting out (8)
STRIKING dd
16. Extremely stiff in coach? I must leave conveyance (8)
TRANSFER S(tif)F in TRA(i)NER
18. Child upset and tense at an order that must be obeyed (6)
DIKTAT (KID<)+T+AT
19. Caper for which doctor is put in prison (6)
GAMBOL MB in GAOL
21. A cereal with fruit (5)
ACORN A+CORN

5 Responses to “Everyman No. 3444 (7th October)”

1. Bamberger says:

I failed on 14d -where I could only guess omniphile . Couldn’t see how tents worked but couldn’t see anything else.

I thought there was some clever clueing here: SHARPSHOOTER made me smile, and I also liked REGIUS PROFESSOR. I did get OENOPHILE after a couple of crossing letters – it’s just that Everyman doesn’t often do cds, so I wasn’t expecting one there.

Fine puzzle and blog; thanks to both.

3. Donna says:

Thank you to both Everyman and Lorraine! Another very enjoyable solve, but boy, did I get my wires crossed on 14 Down! It was the last to go in for me and I got it by the crossing letters. But I’d never heard of a wine called “tent” and just assumed that the answer was something to do with Omar Khayyam and a “jug of wine.” I mistook Omar Khayyam with the old movie, which I’ve never seen but heard the name of, “Omar the Tentmaker!” That’s how I accounted for “oenophile” and “tents.” And I can assure you that I wasn’t imbibing tent or any other wine while solving, so I can’t blame my muddled mind on anything but a lack of experience with Spanish reds which I shall do my best to remedy! There were many other fine clues in this puzzle. Like Kathryn’s Dad, I liked 13 Across. Other faves were 22 and 24 Across.

4. Mary says:

I got it all except for the oenophile but new to this blog – what does CD mean, please?

5. Gaufrid says:

Hi Mary
    Welcome to 15². I hope you continue to comment. CD is an abbreviation for a cryptic definition, ie one that alludes to the answer.