Guardian Cryptic 25779 Rufus

Posted by scchua on October 29th, 2012

scchua.

A standard Rufus with the usual dds, cds and anagrams, and I guess the surface of 7 across is the nautical reference.  Thanks Rufus.  Definitions are underlined in the clues.  [[The pictures at the bottom have unidentified links to the puzzle.  Please enclose any comments about them in double brackets.]]

7 Routine procedure for a safe crossing (4,5)

KERB DRILL : Cryptic defn: For safely crossing a thoroughfare.

8 Quiet  game (5)

WHIST : Double defn: 1st: A variant of “whisht”, an interjection to “keep quiet!”; and 2nd: The card game.

9 Rapid rise, sadly, in dilapidation (9)

DISREPAIR : Anagram of(sadly) RAPID RISE.

10 A bit of a punch-up (5)

SCRAP : Double defn.

12 They fight with one another (6)

ALLIES : Cryptic defn: A play on different meanings of “fight with” – beside one another rather than against one another.

13 Press one to state conclusion involving a paradox (8)

IRONICAL : IRON(to press clothes) + I(Roman numeral for “one“) plus(to) CAL(abbrev. for the US state of California).

14 Husband shows reticence (7)

RESERVE : Double defn: 1st: To use frugally, and thus to hoard.

17 Hit a century, made fast (7)

CLOCKED : C(Roman numeral for a century;100) + LOCKED(made fast;secured).

Answer: Slang for having hit someone, especially on the head.

20 To show greater indulgence may be stupid (8)

MINDLESS : MIND LESS(to show greater indulgence;to tolerate more).

22 Hemingway and Sterne novel (6)

ERNEST : Anagram of(novel) STERNE.

24 Footwear that goes with the hose? (5)

PUMPS : Cryptic defn: Equipment that provide the energy to force liquid through a hose.

25 Incensed by having to  change banks? (5,4)

CROSS OVER : Double defn: 1st: CROSS OVER(incensed;enraged about;by having to …); and 2nd: Cryptic defn. of crossing from one bank of the river to another. Nice surface.

26 They go round about, loud and heavy (5)

HEFTY : Anagram of(go round) THEY containing(about) F(abbrev. for “forte”, the musical instruction to play loudly).

27 Missing persons (9)

ABSENTEES : Cryptic defn: Persons not present;missing.

1 A broken romance? (6)

SERIAL : Cryptic defn: A story;romance, romantic or not, told in broken parts;separate instalments at regular intervals.

2 A bit over-developed and not finally successful (8)

ABORTIVE : Anagram of(developed) A BIT OVER.

Answer: Descriptive of an attempt that is dropped before its conclusion.

3 Covers spread out (6)

DRAPES : Anagram of(out) SPREAD.

4 It’s forbidden — and one hundred take it badly at first (7)

ILLICIT : ILL(badly) placed above(at first) {I(“one“) + C(Roman numeral for “hundred“) plus(take) IT }.

5 Affected stylish greeting (6)

CHICHI : CHIC(stylish) + HI!(the greeting).

6 Inserted plug in leak — a daring exploit (8)

ESCAPADE : AD(short for advertisement;a promotional plug) contained in(Inserted … in) ESCAPE(to leak out).

11 One gets a large number upset about hard work (4)

TOIL : I(“one“) contained in(gets …. about) reversal of(upset) LOT(a large number;a big quantity).

15 US recipe cooked for gourmets (8)

EPICURES : Anagram of(cooked) US RECIPE.

16 Look in six different directions (4)

VIEW : VI(Roman numeral for “six“) + E,W(abbrev. for “east” and “west” resp., different directions).

18 Associates with swindling types? (8)

CONSORTS : CON(as an adjective, swindling) SORTS(types;kinds).

19 Credit work, say, to a writer (7)

ASCRIBE : A + SCRIBE(a writer, especially an author or journalist, used humorously; originally meaning a person who copied documents before the invention of printing).

21 Vice produces record-breaking tax (6)

DEPUTY : EP(abbrev. for “extended play”, a musical recording) contained in(breaking) DUTY(a governmet tax, usually imposed on imports).

Defn:  As in, eg. “Vice President”.

22 Oriental flower festival (6)

EASTER : E(abbrev. for “eastern”;oriental) + ASTER(a flower of any of the plants of the genus Aster).

23 Country editor beset with bad news (6)

SWEDEN : ED(abbrev. for “editor “) contained in(beset with) anagram of(bad) NEWS.

===============================================================

16 Responses to “Guardian Cryptic 25779 Rufus”

1. brucew_aus says:

Thanks Rufus and scchua

Found this one a bit tougher than normal with the 5d – 8a pair (compounded by an erroneous ROUND in at 10) as well as the 1d-12a pair. Was fairly difficult with few and common crossing letters to get the final cryptic definitions

2. KeithW says:

[[The actors Richard Harris and Robert Duvall, various gases and Harry's Bar in Venice where the legend is that ERNEST Hemingway was the first to order a dry martini. Apart from that I'm mystified.]]

3. ToniL says:

May thanks Rufus and scchua.

Didn’t get 1d, still not sure I understand it.

[[Wrestling Ernest Hemingway, film]]

4. ToniL says:

[[The atmospheric gases exclude H2O, ie 'Dry' atmosphere]]

5. William says:

Thank you scchua and Rufus.

Took me longer than usual on a Monday.

Couldn’t parse TOIL so refused to believe it, which held up CLOCKED for ages.

Favorites were DEPUTY for its nice misdirect of vice, and EASTER for the smoothness of the clue.

ToniL @3 I struggled with SERIAL too but I think it’s fair enough…a romance is a longish story and a serial is a longish story ‘broken’ into parts (episodes).

6. tupu says:

Thanks scchua and Rufus

Enjoyable and harder than many a Rufus – the grid did not help.

Some good dd clues and the usual abundance of clever surfaces. I puzzled first about chess for 8a and I also ticked 17a, 24a and 21d. 17a and 11d held me up for a time.

7. Robi says:

Thanks to Rufus and scchua; ToniL @3 – you’re five months too late!

Like brucew_aus @1 I got a bit stuck on the 1d/12a pair, although I liked them once they were revealed. ILLICIT and MINDLESS were also good, I thought, although ABSENTEES seemed to be weak. I initially thought 16 was VISE, although VIEW is of course much simpler (and fits the crossers.)

[[Looks like my work has been done for me; I assume ToniL @4's answer relates to RESERVE]]

8. scchua says:

[[KeithW and ToniL, you're right about Harry's bar, and Wrestling Ernest Hemingway with Harris and Duvall. Well done. But pic#2 is still unsolved, Robi. Hint: It doesn't matter what gases they are.]]

9. John Appleton says:

Not a bad puzzle, although as tupu says, the grid wasn’t helpful – I spent a while wondering if CHESS could mean quiet, or if there was a game called SHUSH. ALLIES and SERIAL proved my final downfall.

10. Jeff says:

Thanks Rufus, thanks scchua. “Whist” is clever; as is serial which could also have been a broken adventure.

11. Paul B says:

Well, it’s a bit like 20, a bit like 41 & 43, and seems to combine the worst elements of all three. Quite a feat!

No-one’s sent me a set of Graunie grids for a while now, what with there being sod-all point, but I’d sure like to see ‘em anyway, just for a laugh. Or maybe you can make your own nowadays?

12. Derek Lazenby says:

Paul B, a couple of years ago I translated them from some source I have now, like an idiot, lost. I put them into template form for the Spoonbill Software Crossword Compiler (not the CC product the Indy uses). The author now includes them in his release package. It’s free, but you have to order it via a link on the web site. It’s worth a poke round the whole site but the Spoonbill CC can be found at http://www.spoonbillsoftware.com.au/crosswordcompiler.htm

13. Paul B says:

Most kind. Many thanks, Dalziel!

I have what I’m led to believe is a standard set, but as of a few years ago the odd deviation began to appear. Hence curiosity re policy inter alia.

14. Brendan (not that one) says:

Well!

Rufus back on form.(13Ac)

15. chas says:

[[What is the meaning of picture No. 2?]]

16. scchua says:

[[Atoms, as represented in pic#2, are the basis of the atomic theory of matter, as taught by ancient Greek philosopher, Epicurus (341-270BC), who was also the founder of the school of philosophy called Epicureanism, often misunderstood, and from which EPICURES (15Down) is derived.]]