Guardian 25,780 – Chifonie

Posted by Uncle Yap on October 30th, 2012

Uncle Yap.

I always lament the last Sunday of October, which brings back melancholic memories of my first winter in Brrrritain. Now, in my hot humid tropical paradise, I bemoan the waste of an hour every morning as the UK reverts to GMT and I get my daily fix one hour later. Wasn’t there some kind of movement to permanently stick to BST the whole year round?

To add to my misery, the excellent Crossword Blogging Utilities set up by Paul Drury aka PeeDee refused to open; so I have to revert to my old style of presenting this blog. Sorry if you cannot read the clue by placing cursor over clue number.

Now is the winter of my discontent
Made glorious summer by this sun of Chifonie

Thankfully, there were really no hard-boiled eggs in the puzzle today and the whole dish went down rather smoothly and painlessly. Very entertaining and heart-warming considering the circumstances this morning. Thank you, Chifonie.

ACROSS
5 SLOGAN SLOG (work hard) + A + N (new)
6 SARONG Ins of RON (boy) in SAG (hang) for a Malay skirt-like garment which my good friend, Dr G wears all the time in his house
9 COWARD Ins of OW (cry of pain) in CARD (eccentric). Sir Noël Peirce Coward (1899–1973) an English playwright, composer, director, actor and singer, known for his wit, flamboyance, and what Time magazine called a sense of personal style, a combination of cheek and chic, pose and poise.
10 BLESSING Ins of LESS (except as in The landlord took the entire harvest except/less one sack of wheat) BING Crosby, singer-actor of White Christmas fame
11 DOES dd doh, a deer, a female deer. Non-natives like UY who have to learn the language never forget the exceptions to the rule about plural nouns having “s” at the end … others inlcude furniture, sheep
12 GHOST STORY GHOSTS (writes for) + TORY (Conservative, politician)
13 SINGLE TRACK SINGLET (underwear) + RACK (stretch as from the medieval instrument of torture)
18 REPUBLICAN RE (Royal Engineers, soldier) PUBLICAN (landlord of a public house or pub or inn or watering hole)
21 MOOD Rev of DOOM (condemn)
22 BLUE JOHN BLUE (athlete from the colours awarded to sportsmen who represent any Oxbridge team) + JOHN (evangelist who spread the words of Jesus Christ) for the semi-precious mineral, a form of fluorite with bands of a purple-blue or yellowish colour. In the UK it is found only at Blue John Cavern and Treak Cliff Cavern at Castleton in Derbyshire. During the 19th century, it was mined for its ornamental value, and mining continues on a small scale.
23 MADRID MAD (wild) + RID (free)
24 MAENAD Ins of ENA (woman) in MAD (crazy) for a female follower of Bacchus, a bacchante; a woman beside herself with frenzy.
25 BROACH B (British) ROACH (fish)

DOWN
1 POLANSKI POL (rev of LOP, cut) + AN + SKI (sports equipment) Roman Polanski (born 1933) is a Polish-French film director, producer, writer and actor. Rosemary’s Baby, Chinatown, The Pianist & Oliver Twist are some notable works
2 LAPDOG Rev of GOD (divine) PAL (friend, companion)
3 GAMESTER *(GAS METER)
4 COSSET COS (lettuce) SET (planted)
5 SPOT ON Ins of POT (drug cannabis) in SON (issue)
7 GENTRY G (good) ENTRY (admission)
8 OBSOLESCENT OB (old boy, former pupil) + SOLE (only) SCENT (trace)
14 GALLOWAY Ins of ALLOW (permit) in GAY (happy) for an area in southwestern Scotland.
15 COMEDIAN *(A DEMONIC)
16 BEDLAM *(AMBLED)
17 POLISH Brilliant dd which would have been even more polished by dropping the apostrophe s
19 UNEVEN ha
20 NO MORE *(MONROE) Doctor would make a better anagram indicator

Key to abbreviations

dd = double definition
dud = duplicate definition
tichy = tongue-in-cheek type
cd = cryptic definition
rev = reversed or reversal
ins = insertion
cha = charade
ha = hidden answer
*(FODDER) = anagram

27 Responses to “Guardian 25,780 – Chifonie”

1. NeilW says:

Thanks, UY. As usual, I can’t share your enthusiasm for puzzles which don’t even reach the difficulty level of a Quiptic (apart from the clever 11ac.)

I will admit to writing in “blue moon” initially for 22ac before seeing that it didn’t fit the def but that just reflects the possibility that most of the solving activity was at brain stem level.

2. Fat Al says:

Thanks UY,

This one was pitched at my level. I still enjoy solving as much as I can of the more difficult puzzles, but it IS nice to complete the grid occasionally.

I didn’t really finish it though I suppose, because I confess I also came here to learn what sort of ornamental material Blue Moon was.

3. Jim says:

A neat carefully constructed crossword. I welcome the occasional simpler crossword as it gives me a chance to speed solve – filling in an answer whilst reading/solving the next clue.

4. muffin says:

Thanks to Chifonie and Uncle Yap
    I found this most peculiar – I went through all the across clues as usual, then thought “Oh dear, this is hard” (not having solved any). I then looked at the downs, and they were mostly “write-ins” (though I did put MARCOS for 4dn, thinking at the time that it was in dubious taste!) The across ones then followed rapidly.

5. KeithW says:

Thanks Uncle Y and Chifonie. Quite Mondayish but just right for today as I have much to do. Held up for a while by stupidly writing the answer to 16d into 25ac. Anyone else admit to that kind of senior moment?

6. Rick says:

Thanks UY. As others have said, a pretty straightforward (though nicely constructed) puzzle; no problem about that as far as I’m concerned (it’s nice to finish one quickly for a change!).

muffin @4: I think that “Marcos” is an excellent answer to 4 down; nice one! (-:

7. Rick says:

KeithW @5: “Anyone else admit to that kind of senior moment?” As it happens, not today – but it’s a pretty frequent event! )-:

Thanks, UY. Another Grauniad solver-unfriendly grid made up for by some gentle clueing. Nothing wrong with that, as others have said; and for those that found it too easy, Enigmatist will no doubt be along soon.

BLUE JOHN went straight in, since it’s well known here in Derbyshire if perhaps not so much outside the county.

Senior moments? Ever get to the top of the stairs and forget what you’ve gone up for?

Thanks to Chifonie for the puzzle.

9. John Appleton says:

DOES was last in; it was only after POLANKSI made himself known that I realised 11ac was referring to the plural. Nice misdirection.

10. tupu says:

Thanks UY and Chifonie

I thought this was going to be hard until I decided to leave some of the top left quarter till later. Does, Polanski and Coward were among my last in.

Well-clued as usual by this setter. Like KeithW I have a busy day ahead. As for senior moments, I still get them after all these years!

I liked 12a and 13a. I was a little sad to see ‘mad’ in two adjacent clues.

11. RCWhiting says:

Thanks all
    Yesterday I went to the seaside and left my unread G. at home.
    My friend gave me her Friday Times which I solved quite quickly.
    There have been several comments and suggestions about The Times crossword here recently. I though it was about like a Monday in the Guardian.
    There was a small hold up because of a device which I do not remember in any recent G.crosswords. We often see ‘one’ to indicate ‘I’ or ‘A’ but not the reverse. The Times had ‘I’ to indicate ‘one'; is this indicative of a class difference.
    Returning for today’s offering I was sad to see that a Monday level puzzle had been provided.

12. chas says:

Thanks to UY for the blog.

I have an objection to 8d: the clue says ‘out of date’ which is obsolete. Obsolescent means ‘going out of date’ but not there yet.

13. RCWhiting says:

Re: today’s
    Last in was ‘does’.
    It reminded me of one of my all-time favourites:
    Does roam here also. (4,4)
    Clever that all 4 words have 4 letters each + an anagram indicator: ‘roam’.

14. William says:

Muffin @4 to my shame, me too!

Found DOES hard with its neat (no pun) hidden plural, otherwise somewhat near the easy end of the spectrum.

Thanks UY & Chifonie.

15. tupu says:

RCW @11

Re class. One might well ask.

16. Alan Connor says:

Does roam here also. (4,4)
    Clever that all 4 words have 4 letters each + an anagram indicator: ‘roam’.

I’ve tried to get an anagram of HERE ALSO and ended up with a part of the body that could be a (4,4) or an (8), but I’m pretty sure that’s not the entry.

Hi chas @12

You’re absolutely right, of course. Coincidentally, I’ve just posted this link, dedicated to fellow-pedants:

[see point 14] on the Indy thread. ;-)

18. Davy says:

I was sorry to hear that Dicky Monroe is dead. RIP

19. Davy says:

Thanks UY,

Yes, on the easy side but still entertaining. Took me a while to get DOES (last one) and MOOD for which I
    nearly entered MALS (SLAM backwards) ie I’m in low spirits, I’ve got the mals.

As to writing an answer in the wrong place, I’ve done it several times and it really messes up the crossword.
    I usually print out a fresh copy.

Thanks Mr Hurdy-gurdy man.

20. muffin says:

William @14 – I wasn’t ashamed as such, just a little disconcerted, then amused when I was forced to correct it!

21. Stella Heath says:

Thanks for the link, Eileen. I find I’m not quite so much of a pedant as I thought I was, though still “a pain in the neck” :-)

My experience of this puzzle was similar to muffin’s – I read through all the acrosses and a few of the downs without entering an answer until COSSET wrote itself in. Most of the rest or the downs then yielded readily, as did the whole puzzle.

Thanks Chifonie, and to UY for the link at 22ac.

22. chas says:

Thanks to Eileen for the pedantry pointer. I scored 8 out of 15. If I had been paying sufficient attention to the words I was reading I would have spotted “None of us like…” and that would have brought my total up to 9.

For part of the time before I retired I was working as a lecturer on computer programming. I picked up a reputation as a pedanr because I insisted on my students getting things right.

23. chas says:

And after all that I failed to write pedant correctly :(

24. Paul B says:

And what exactly is wrong with Chifonie’s Dicky?

‘Doctor’ in the same place in the cryptic reading would have to be an infinitive verb, which would lead to certain considerations having to be made further down the clue.

(IMO of course. I should be delighted to hear what others think.)

25. Brendan (not that one) says:

Not much more to add.

A perfect Monday crossword. Well crafted and very enjoyable.

Pity it’s a Tuesday :-(

26. RCWhiting says:

Alan @16
    It is many years ago, but I suspect I did much the same as you.
    It was then even more surprising when I settled on the correct solution – ‘deer park’ !!

27. Paul B says: