Financial Times no.14,150 by Sleuth

Posted by Ringo on November 1st, 2012

Ringo.

It’s absolutely perishingly cold in Yorkshire this morning and I have run out of coffee – so thank goodness for Sleuth, who at least got my brain-cells humming (even if I can no longer feel my toes).

Nothing here to frighten the horses or bring people out cheering into the streets, but an enjoyable, grumble-free solve (save for a minor difficulty with 16dn.). Thanks, Sleuth.

ACROSS

1. WHATNOT  Sounds like Watt [James, engineer] + knot [difficulty]

5. SHIFTY  Shift [group of workers] + y [yard]

8. DOMINANCE  OM [Order of Merit, prestigious award] + in [favoured] within dance [social event]

9. DUNCE  C [caught] within dune [sandy area]

11. OVETT  Ove(r) [completed] + TT [motorcycle races]

12. CATEGORIC  Cat [jazz fan, in jive-speak] + go [energy] within Eric [man's name, male]

13. TITIVATE  It [object] + IV [four in Roman numerals] within Tate [art gallery]

15. PAELLA  Reversal of A + l [lot] + leap [bound]

17. EASILY  Reversal of Lisa [woman's name] within ey(e) [observer]

19. FOOTSLOG  Reversal of s [son] + too [also] within golf [sport]

22. AS YOU WERE  Double definition

23. SCRUB  Double definition

24. KNIFE  Hidden in reversal of beEF IN Kitchen

25. PISTACHIO  A + chi [Greek letter, foreign character] within anagram of top is

26. WHITEN  Whip [political party organiser] minus P [pressure] + ten [figure]

27. T-SHIRTS  Anagram of this st(a)r

DOWN

1. WIDE OF THE MARK  Anagram of F(ellow) work the media

2. ARMREST  M [Malta] within arrest [stop]

3. NONET  Reads like no net, which would be a problem on a tennis court

4. TENACITY  Anagram of neat + city [built-up area]

5. SIESTA  Anagram of seat is

6. INDIGNANT  In [at] + dig [excavation] + N [Northern] + ant [worker] (with “first” re-jigging the order of the elements)

7. TENDRIL  Tend [nurse] + ril(e) [bother]

10. EXCHANGE BLOWS  Exchange [business area] + low [depressed] within BS [Bahamas]

14. VOL-AU-VENT  Anagram of value on TV

16. SOMERSET  Merse(y) [river] within so [very (good?)] + t [time]

18. STYLISH  Sty [part of farm] + l [lake] + is + (churc)h

20. LURCHER  Lur(e) [an enticing thing] + Cher [singer]

23. STASH  St [street, road] + ash [remains]

7 Responses to “Financial Times no.14,150 by Sleuth”

1. Bamberger says:

“Nothing here to frighten the horses” -well I can usually have a good stab at Crux, Cincinnus & Dante but I solved 14d,23d & 27a and came to a grinding halt.Should have got 5d but thought the rest very hard and I’m including 24a in that.
    Spent ages trying to work out the anagram fodder in 1d but didn’t realise that f for fellow had to slot in.
    1a Thought of every bit of furniture in the house but hadn’t ever come across a whatnot.
    12a Male =eric -well only a thousand other possibilties-similar thought on the singer on 20d
    25a Tried words starting with un, une, ein, uno but no to avail.

As ever, the more you get the easier it is to get more. Totally out of synch with this setter.

2. Richard says:

I thought I was going to have difficulty with this, but it got better as it went along. Just didn’t get 1ac.
    Much better than yesterday’s FT!

Thanks. For the blog.

3. rowland says:

A very nicely-balanced piece for me. Fave most definitely WIDE OF THE MARK, which was great.

many thanks.
    Rowly.

4. Ferret says:

Thanks Ringo. I’ve a little problem with 3d……whilst you can have an issue IN a squash court (albeit not the lack of a net), any problems occur ON a tennis court.

Equally bamboozled by the “good” in 16d?

5. Pelham Barton says:

Thanks Sleuth for an enjoyable puzzle and Ringo for the blog.

24ac: This is the one about which I wish to quibble. Unless you can make “in” part of the definition, the cryptic grammar does not work for me. The point is that if “in” is a linking word, then the cryptic part should really be a noun phrase not a verb phrase. Possibly “Cut in turned portion …”?

3dn: Speaking from partial ignorance, but might one say “in” a Real Tennis court?

16dn: Chambers 2008 gives so¹ “very good” (among other meanings).

6. Paul B says:

‘In turn, portion of beef in kitchen’ gives KNIFE. There’s no link word, just a transitive verb for the definition. I must admit I am having trouble seeing anything wrong with that at the moment!

7. Pelham Barton says:

Paul B@6: Thanks, that makes sense. I was just taking “turn” as the reversal indicator. I am always happy to be corrected when I have misunderstood a clue.