Guardian 25,785 – Rufus

Posted by manehi on November 5th, 2012

manehi.

Typically gentle and pleasant from Rufus. Favourite clues 16ac and 13dn.

1 IMPRECISE =”Approximate” (price semi)*
6 POOL double def. =”People available”; =”a game”
8 INSCRIBE =”Write letters” IN + CRIB=”bed” inside S[outh] and E[ast]=”quarters”
9 PURIFY =”Make clear” (fry-up)* around I=”one”
10 BRAISE =”cook” B=”note” + RAISE=”more money”
11 AGONISED =”Suffered” (so gained)*/td>
12 EGOISM =”vanity” EGO is Latin for “I” + IS + M=Roman numeral for a thousand=”many”
15 TRIALIST =”this person may prove their promise” TRIAL=”Court case” + (it’s)*
16 CONFINED =”jailed” CON=”Swindle” + FINED=”made to pay”
19 EATING you might get a pie for this (Get in a)* “pie” can mean a jumble of printing type, hence an anagrind
21 ASIAN FLU =”serious complaint” AU=”Gold” outside of [the opposite of "in"] (finals)*
22 DEPOSE =”Put down” (PE does)*
24 LOSERS cryptic def
25 LOLLIPOP double def =”Sweet”; =”sort of lady giving children guidance”
26 STOP =”stay” rev(POT’S)=”Kitty’s”
27 ONSLAUGHT =”attack” (Talons hug)*
1 INNER =”pretty good shot” just missing the bull’s-eye in archery [w]INNER=”Victor”, without w[est]
2 PUCCINI =”composer” (Picnic)* around U=”posh”
3 ELITE =”Pick” [of the bunch, etc] rev(TILE)=old slang for “hat” + [leav]E
4 INEXACT =”It’s not right” IN + ACT=”law” around EX=”divorcee”
5 EXPLOSIVE =”like jelly” [gelignite] the MK 2 hand grenade [wiki] was known as the “pineapple”
6 PARTIAL double def =”Fond of”; =”to some extent”
7 OFF SEASON =”when trade is slack” OFF=”Not on” + SEASON=”time”
13 GOOD SPORT =”likeable chap” stevedores would work at a GOODS PORT
14 MANIFESTO =”Promises of party” MANIFEST=”show” + O=”ring”
17 FRAME-UP =”conspiracy” snooker is played in rounds called “frames”
18 DOUBLES =”Big drinks” a doubles match might bring people to e.g. a tennis court
20 TIPPING double def =”Upsetting” [e.g. a tray]; =”habit in restaurants”
22 DELTA cryptic def at the mouth of a river
23 STOUT double def =”Full-bodied”; =”drink”

24 Responses to “Guardian 25,785 – Rufus”

1. Robi says:

Thanks Rufus and manehi.

For 17, I thought of ‘balls up’ before enlightenment.

I particularly liked EXPLOSIVE, GOOD SPORT and DOUBLES. I well remember ASIAN FLU and it was pretty nasty.

2. KeithW says:

I didn’t really like my answer of HOMEYS for 24ac so thanks, Manehi, fo putting me right. And thanks Rufus for a short but rather pleasant struggle.

3. duncan says:

“lollipop lady” >smacks forehead< & me with a school over the road too. my excuse is they don't appear to have lollipop ladies in madrid, though I may be wrong & in any case, that's no excuse. :-/

d.

4. tupu says:

Thanks manehi and Rufus

An enjoyable puzzle, a bit harder in places than some Rufus offerings. Many good surfaces and clever ideas in the clues.

I ticked 6a, 12a, 16a, 14d, 17d, 20d, 22d.

I was held up for a time by 24a – there seemed so many possibilities. I nearly tried ‘movers’ as dancers to a beat on a record track but the penny dropped before I committed myself to that.

5. dunsscotus says:

Thanks Rufus and Manehi, particularly for your ‘jumbled type’ explanation. I had darts in mind, not archery, for 1d, which I suppose is a sign of my misspent youth. As you say, a pleasant Monday, though with perhaps a few more teeth than some recent challenges.

6. Stella Heath says:

Thanks manehi and Rufus. I was on his wavelength today, and found this enjoyable, though brief.

Hi Duncan, I forgot about the lollipop lady, too. Maybe it does have something to do with living in Spain.

One year when I was young, our lollipop lady was given an O.B.E. or something for her years of service :-)

7. SeanDimly says:

Thank you Rufus. Liked 11a, 3d and 22d in particular – lovely surfaces.
    Had to guess 5d, so thank you Manehi for your explanation. I’ve led a blessedly sheltered life.

8. rowland says:

Hello all. I think the Molotov Cocktail was known as the pineapple too.

Good one today by Rufues, enjoyed it.

Cheers,
    Rowly.

9. muffin says:

Thanks rufus and manehi.

I had confidently put in TAGINE for 19ac, so the SE corner took rather longer than it should have!

Didn’t see LOSERS either.

10. RCWhiting says:

Thanks all
    When you come across a puzzle where 90% of the clues need no more than reading to solve but you are left with three or four to think about, then you do feel a certain but limited sense of satisfaction.
    This was not one such puzzle.

11. Bryan says:

Many thanks Manehi & Rufus – if it really was set by Rufus.

A tad harder than usual and there were no nautical references that I could see.

But none the worse for that.

Will the real Setter now please put his hand up?

12. Trailman says:

Muffin @9, I had exactly the same problems as you. Decided on LOSERS after comparison of other possibilities – not Rufus’s finest hour, this clue, I think.

13. manehi says:

Re: LOSERS – if I hadn’t been blogging this puzzle and having to look for a reasonable explanation, I’d have left this as my initial MOPERS.

14. Galeraman says:

Thanks manehi and Rufus. A nicely constructed if somewhat easy puzzle. RCW @10. Your droll put down made me smile. Stella Heath @ 6. In very rural southern Spain where I live we don’t need them. Lollipop Ladies that is. From the link you left me on the Paul blog I guess you are up north. If they did exist do you think they would be Damas de la paleta

15. Neill91 says:

As regards 24a I couldn’t decide from amongst BOXERS, DOZERS or MOWERS. I still don’t see where the track come in for losers.

16. muck says:

Thanks manehi and Rufus.
    As per other comments, I tried various possibilities for 24a, including cOmEtS
    Why is LOSERS the answer?

17. muffin says:

Muck@16 – because losers make a habit of being beaten?

18. Martin P says:

I find any cryptic crossword a bit like running ten miles.

I’m always pleased I can do it at all.

I found a bit more in this than some Mondays’ too.

19. RCWhiting says:

The fuss about losers is surely a bit contrived.
    If you are ‘beaten’ you are a loser, by definition.
    You might be, but not essentially, several other things which are quoted above.
    The ‘track’ reference just makes the obvious more obvious.

20. Brendan (not that one) says:

Usual Monday fare.

However, having considered the options, I rejected LOSERS preferring ROVERS.

As with many a RUFUS there isn’t really a definitive answer. (Except of course the one he chose to which there is no certain path! :-()

21. john mcc says:

24ac – I settled on “covers” with beaten track as the definition. Beaters beat the covers in a pheasant shoot. Just my aristo upbringing :-)

22. Dave Ellison says:

john mcc I went for that too, but no aristo upbringing

23. RCWhiting says:

Brendan – obviously from Blackburn.

24. Brendan (not that one) says:

RCW @23 Actually very close. :-) But “The Plastics” are not to be mentioned in football circles in my home town!