Financial Times 14,156 / Hamilton

Posted by Gaufrid on November 8th, 2012

Gaufrid.

A change of blogger today due to work commitments. I can’t say I particularly enjoyed this puzzle, too many four letter words for my liking including one (12ac) that I cannot explain.

Assuming I have 12ac correct, the first column has the surname of the heroine in Jane Austen’s novel Northanger Abbey whilst the last column has the surname of two characters in Charles Dickens’ David Copperfield. I doubt that this is simply coincidence but I cannot see any connection between the two. Perhaps this is just a tribute by Hamilton to two people he knows.

8 MUTUAL hidden reversal in ‘cooL AUTUMn’
9 STEROIDS anagram (made up about) of STORIES D
10 OPEN a straight def. so far as I can see, as in ‘obvious’
11 BOUGHT A PUP BOUGH (branch) TAP UP (make a clandestine approach)
12 REAR? no idea - edit, see comment #4, thanks jmac
13 NANNY STATE NAN (mum’s mum) NY (US city) STATE (report)
17 LAMB LAMB[ada] (dance without a girl)
18 GAVEL cryptic def. referring to an auction lot
19 ROON [polt]ROON
21 ADVENTURER ADVENT (coming) URE (river) R[hine]
23 AXEL AXE (cut) L (length)
24 NOBLEWOMEN NOB (head) LE (the French) WOMEN (ladies)
28 ARVO Australian slang for afternoon (PM)
29 DAMOCLES anagram (around) of LAD COMES
30 ESCHEW ESC[ape] (getaway when half cut) HEW (cut) – ‘cut’ has to be doing double duty for the clue to work.

1 SUBPOENA anagram (resolution) of BONE UP AS
2 VULNERABLE anagram (out) of A-LEVEL BURN
3 FLY-BY-NIGHT def. and cryptic def.
4 ESAU USE (work) around A[ssistant] reversed (returned)
5 MESH hidden in ‘soME SHeds’
6 CODA CO (company) DA (lawyer)
7 ADDUCT ACT (work) around (keeping) DD (theologian) U (university)
14 NEVER EVE (her) in NR (near)
15 YUL BRYNNER BRYN (Welshman) N[ow] in YULE (Christmas) R (run)
16 TERMAGANCY anagram (concealing) of MEGAN TRACY
20 OVERVIEW OVER (done with) VIEW (inspection)
22 DOODAH DO O (nothing) DAH (dash, as in morse code)
25 LOOT TOOL (machine) reversed (turner)
26 WILE W[h]ILE (husband leaves time)
27 MASS triple def.

9 Responses to “Financial Times 14,156 / Hamilton”

1. flashling says:

Hi Gaufrid, I think 12ac is just MEER alt spelling of MERE which means it’s just a DD

2. Gaufrid says:

Hi flashling
    Sorry but I don’t see how MEER can be a dd when the clue is “End, of the year perhaps”, at least according to the definitions in Chambers.

3. flashling says:

Oooops aplologies Gaufrid, looked at the wrong clue!

4. jmac says:

Re 12 across: I think this might be re (of) plus ar, the phonetic spelling of “r”. Thanks for the blog – Ienjoyed this puzzle.

5. Gaufrid says:

Hi jmac
    I think you may well be right. I did try to do something with of=re but didn’t associate ar with r. Another case where part of the clue is doing double duty, this time as both definition and part of the wordplay.

6. Pelham Barton says:

Hi Gaufrid

Might 12ac be a reference to the rear of the year, described on Wikipedia as “a light-hearted British award for celebrities who are considered to have a notable posterior”?

7. Pelham Barton says:

Another one from me: I think you can get round the double duty in 30ac, if you take “when half” as meaning “when halved”.

8. Pogel says:

Agree fundamentally with Pelham Barton. No question.

9. JollySwagman says:

Nice – thanks both and all above. Harder work than I thought it would be.

11a very good.