Everyman No. 3448 (4th November)

Posted by The Trafites on November 11th, 2012

The Trafites.

Lorraine:  Good morning one and all,

I really struggled this week, I certainly didn’t have my crossword head on at all, so Nick came to the rescue.
Below, the analysis and comments are from Nick.

Thank you Everyman for another nice puzzle.

(Nick:  this certainly was a more difficult Everyman this week, noted in clues 12ac, 20ac, 7dn etc.)

1. In Niger, a popular type of music (3)
RAP hidden: NigeR A Popular
3. By boringly traditional meeting place in New York? (5,6)
TIMES SQUARE TIMES[by, as in 6 by 4 = 6 x 4]+SQUARE
9. Glib talk by northern model (7)
PATTERN PATTER+N
10. English farm animals in short satirical poem (7)
EPIGRAM E+PIG+RAM
11. Superb flatfish – a small number put in it (9)
BRILLIANT BRILL+((A+N) in IT)
12. Ram a truck’s rear wheels and this could be broken (5)
KAPUT (TUP[ram]+A+(truc)K<)
at first glance, this could be KARMA
13. Place full of computers in centre, neat if refreshment required (8,4)
INTERNET CAFE (CENTRE NEAT IF)*
17. Pirate, ninety, rotting in prison (12)
PENITENTIARY (PIRATE, NINETY)*
20. States opposed? Mostly (5)
AVERS AVERS(e)
21. Together, make amends, and discharge revolutionary (2,3,4)
AT ONE TIME ATONE+(EMIT<)
23. Destroy bar in centre (7)
CORRODE ROD in CORE
24. Receiving no money, a pal visiting ancient city (7)
AMATEUR A MATE+UR[ancient city]
25. Steps taken by Cockneys in old London street market? (7,4)
LAMBETH WALK cd
26. Last in post that is secure (3)
TIE (pos)T+I.E.
1. Country inn has historical object outside (8)
REPUBLIC RELIC around PUB
2. More than one loyalist Irishman disturbs the peace (8)
PATRIOTS PAT+RIOTS
3. Irish tourist attraction, with ten hotels nearby in resort (3,7,5)
THE BLARNEY STONE (TEN HOTELS NEARBY)*
4. Unexpected names in this international society (5)
MENSA (NAMES)*
5. Sight provided by glasses, limited (9)
SPECTACLE SPECTACLE(s)
6. Fast in responding being intelligent? Incorrect (5,3,3,4)
QUICK OFF THE MARK QUICK[intelligent]+OFF THE MARK[incorrect]
7. Short in bar slyly put away (6)
ABRUPT (BAR*)+(PUT*)
8. Antagonism shown by heartless adversary carrying it (6)
ENMITY IT in EN(e)MY
14. Girl, Hazel, I fancy, must accept wager (9)
ELIZABETH (HAZEL I*) around BET
15. Clear list of passengers flying (8)
MANIFEST dd
16. Alongside king making an exclamation of astonishment (2,6)
BY GEORGE BY+GEORGE[king]
18. Do up plot (6)
PARCEL cdd
19. Ruby’s on strange horse (3,3)
RED RUM RED+RUM
nice to see this horse clued with no sign of ‘murder’
22. Japanese city, very large (also known by another name?) (5)
OSAKA OS[oversize]+A.K.A.

6 Responses to “Everyman No. 3448 (4th November)”

1. davy says:

Thanks Lorraine,

I agree with Nick’s assessment of this puzzle especially 12a (KAPUT) where the wordplay was difficult to understand
    but I sussed it eventually. Also 7d (ABRUPT) was misleading and contained two three-letter anagrams which is very
    unusual. Finally, 20a (AVERS) was short and sweet but also baffling : AVER is a word that I’ve never heard in conversation
    and only encountered in crosswords.

Quite a few favourites in this puzzle including TIMES SQUARE, PATTERN, INTERNET CAFE, CORRODE, AMATEUR (where the sneaky
    definition is ‘Receiving no money’) and PATRIOTS. Thanks Everyman.

2. Bamberger says:

I’m glad it wasn’t just me.
    I couldn’t get 25a and with the second word being ?a?k, I was fixated on it being “bank”. Of course lambeth might have come to mind if I’d had 18d which in turn I might have got if I’d had 20a or 23a.
    Also couldn’t get 7d or 12a.

Thanks, Lorraine and Nick.

I don’t remember this one being super hard, but that’s the problem with commenting on a puzzle that you had a go at seven days ago. Maybe I was just ‘in the zone’, as young people say.

ELIZABETH was my favourite (but only because it’s Kathryn’s middle name …)

Bravo to Everyman for another fine Sunday crossword.

4. Mary says:

This one was hard – and had to wait till today to understand some of the ones I did get i.e. 21ac and 12 ac. Let’s hope this week’s is easier – or I am more focused. Good to have a challenge though.

5. Chris NZ says:

In NZ we get this puzzle a month later than the UK, so it is always useful to see your comments, when I get stuck. It’s interesting that you all struggled with this one and I found it the simplest for a while.

6. caz says:

… and we thought “States opposed mostly” was etats.