Financial Times 14,163 by Alberich

Posted by Jed on November 16th, 2012

Jed.

Highly recommended

1 BLACKCAP (bird) black cap worn by judge giving death sentence

6 PLACID (composed) P (piano) C[oncerto] I in LAD (youth)

9 COSMOS (world) COSMO[politan] S (second)

10 TUNGSTEN (W chemistry) NETS G NUT< catches fanatic about G[eorge]

11 EYOT (small island) E (English) TOY< (sport revolutionised)

12 ECUMENICAL (of the church)

ECU (old French coin) C (catholic) in MENIAL (servant)

14 GERANIUM (plant) (GUINEA R[each] M[aturity])*

16 DATA (information) hidden backwards in [diplom]AT AD[visedly]

18 CANE (stick) sounds like CAINE (Michael)

19 RETRENCH (cut down expenses) RE (once more) TRENCH (dig deep)

21 DISDAINFUL (showing contempt) D (daughter) in ([j]ULIA FINDS)*

22 WAIF (orphan) WA[s] (lived mostly] I F (one female)

24 VALHALLA (palace for slain heroes – Norse myth)

LAV< (john going west) HAL (prince) LA (city)

26 ANTHEM (song) 2 As from ANATHEMA (object of abhorrence)

27 HEIGHT (summit) H8 follows G7

28 SATURATE (steep – verb) SAT (day) U (you said) RATE (price)

2 LOOPY dd

3 COME TO A HEAD (reach crisis point) COME TO (total) AHEAD (in advance)

4 COSMETIC (superficial) ITEMS< (things up) in COC[k] (male mostly)

5 PUT OUT MORE FLAGS (Evelyn Waugh) dd (flag – paving-stone)

6 PANDER (one who procures) PAN (slate) DE (from French) R[oofer]

7 ASS (wally) [p]ASS (succeed)

8 INELASTIC literal definition

13 IN DEEP WATER (experiencing difficulties) I (one) (NEW RED TAPE)*

15 ERADICATE (destroy) ERA (period) DICTATE (give orders minus middle letter)

17 STALWART (strong supporter) STALIN (minus IN) WAR (conflict) T (time)

20 BILLET (accommodation) LIB< (politician returns) LET (rented)

23 INEPT (useless) IN (batting) EP  (record) [improvemen]T

25 HAG (witch) HANG (put to death) minus N (quarter)

(  )* = anagram    [ ] = omit    dd = double definition    < = reverse

9 Responses to “Financial Times 14,163 by Alberich”

1. Wanderer says:

Highly recommended indeed. Favourites TUNGSTEN, for its brilliantly disguised definition (at first I thought the def was ‘term of George W’ and, with only the initial T and the S, tried to make TEXASISM work); and H8 for HEIGHT. Thanks for explaining ANTHEM, which I got right for the wrong reasons — I could see a couple of articles in the solution, AN and THE, and was vainly trying to see why M might be an object of loathing, having missed the significance of ‘going’ in the clue. Also much enjoyed the lazy paver and the clue for STALWART.

Many thanks to Jed and Alberich.

2. Pelham Barton says:

Thanks Alberich for a puzzle which I found tough going but very satisfying to complete, and Jed for the blog. My favourite clue was 10ac – beautifully concealed defintion of TUNGSTEN.

13dn: Small quibble here. I cannot account for “bound” in the clue. As always, I will be delighted if someone can put me right on this.

3. Robi says:

Glad to see the site is working again. Thanks Alberich for a super crossword and to Jed for a good blog. For 25, I wondered why shag [hang in actuality] was ‘put to death,’ I thought it was some sort of rude joke!

I put ‘ponces’ for 6d; apparently, ponce=pumice in French, although that is not the same as slate, I realise. I must have led such a sheltered life as I didn’t know a PANDER is the same as a ponce. My favourites were TUNGSTEN (wonderful!), HEIGHT and PLACID. 5d reminds me of student days when I had a job as a paver’s assistant.

4. Robi says:

PH@4; I guess this is for the surface (bound by=attached, I think): ‘One by stupid….’ would not really work.

5. Robi says:

…@2, of course, it’s me @4!

6. MikeC says:

Thanks Alberich and Jed. Tried to post fuller appreciation earlier today but got lost in an outage!

7. Lynette says:

Thanks Jed. A good solve for people with a good knowledge of obscure English novels and the periodic table. Oh, and you had to know that ”J” is an abbreviation for “judge”…
    …the rest was quite good.

8. Alberich says:

A belated thanks for the blog and it’s good to see the site working well again. Thanks Gaufrid for your efforts in that respect.

To answer Pelham at post 2, it looks as if I somehow got the idea that the “one” was inside the anagram rather than the first letter. Robi’s explanation at 4 lets me off the hook – kind of!

A good weekend to all.

9. Sil van den Hoek says:

Only finished this puzzle today.
    And what a good one it was (once more).

For once ( :) ) I have not really much to add.
    The main reason for my visit was to find out how 26ac (ANTHEM) worked. So, thanks Jed, for making things clear. Just like Wanderer I saw already so many articles that I wasn’t sure whether I should enter ‘anthem’ or not.

I have the same favourites as Robi (PLACID, TUNGSTEN and HEIGHT).
    The latter (HEIGHT, 27ac) was a write-in after a similar trick this week in the Boatman crossword.
    What a coincidence.
    Boatman wrote “Anticipate what anticipates 5D say?” (FORESEE), but I find the clue here much better as the G7 surface makes total sense.

It took me a while to get PLACID (initially fixated on an anagram of PIANO+C with perhaps “one written in youth” as the definition) and therefore the short ASS (7d) was one of my last entries.
    Misdirected by the clue as I was looking for a ‘fool’ by deleting the first letter of ‘succeed’ from a ‘test’.

Many thanks to Alberich for another ultra-precise masterpiece.