Guardian 25,800 – Puck

Posted by manehi on November 22nd, 2012

manehi.

Found this very tricky, but really enjoyed the various uses [and non-use] of the interlinked clues. Unfortunately I haven’t been able to parse 1dn yet – would appreciate any help. Edit: thanks to AndrewC for 1dn

9 GOLDENEYE species of duck [wiki] (dongle)* + EYE=”look”. “Supply” as in the adjectival form of “supple” is the anagrind.
10 RALPH one of the boys in Lord of the Flies [wiki] [A + LP="record"], all inside R[ight] H[and]
11 COMPOST =”Fertiliser” COMPO [wiki] is the scruffy old man from West Yorkshire, filmed in Last of the Summer Wine + ST[reet]
13 NO END =”Very much” “keeps going WEST” => hidden in reverse inside “disadvantageD NEONatally”
14 LACTATING =”producing baby food” LAC sounds like “lack”=”have no” + TIN=”money” inside TAG=”label”
16 RHUBARB TRIANGLE part of West Yorkshire [wiki] (A rabble run right)*
19 CUB SCOUTS =”pack” CUTS holding BSC=”degree” by O[pen] U[niversity]
21 BORON =”Element” Boron’s chemical symbol B is found twice in RHUBARB. BORN=”produced”, outside O=”love”
22 LEOPARD =”cat” rev(POE[m]) inside LARD=”fat”
23 SCALENE =type of TRIANGLE SCENE=”view”, around A L, where the capital “L” makes a right angle
24 MATHS =”subject” MAT (alt. spelling of matte)=”Dull” + H[i]S, where the i=”1″ is missing
1 EGOCENTRIC =”Selfish” { E[nglish] + GENT=”man” + R[ant] }, all around O[fficer] C[ommanding]=”senior officer”, + I[n] C[harge]
2 FLAMBEAU =”torch” FLAMBE=”Way of serving food” + A[lways] U[sing]
3 DEVOID =”Barren” DEVO[n] is part of the WEST COUNTRY, missing n[ame] + ID
4, 25 WEST YORKSHIRE =”County” E[ast] S[ussex] T[hereabouts] Y[eomen] all inside WORK + SHIRE=”horse”
5 PEACE CORPS =”US volunteers” P[hysical] E[xercise] + C[hurch] of E[ngland] + CORPS[e]=body with NO END
6 BROUHAHA =”Fuss” BRA=”supporter” around OU=”where [in] French” + H[otel] + rev(HA[s]), where “fallen” indicates reversal
7 GLUTEI =”Muscles” Hidden inside “playinG LUTE, Initially”
8 WHEY Part of milk… …and milk is what’s “expressed” by LACTATING women
14 LABOUR DAYS =”Party times for some” (Americans) Or the days towards the end of pregnancy [term] where a baby might be produced
15 GREEN BERET =”commando” (Bergen)* + E[g]RET=”flyer”, minus the g[oing]
17 ARCHAISM =”outmoded form” (charisma)*
18 GARDENIA =”flower” rev(AINE=”Irish girl” + DRAG=”pull”)
20, 12 BRONTE COUNTRY part of WEST YORKSHIRE [wiki] (Boycott runner)*. Surface refers to Geoffrey Boycott, the (WEST) YORKSHIRE batsman.
21 BRAISE =”Stew” [rhubar]B + RAISE=”produce”
22 LIME =”FRUIT” rev(EMIL[y]) BRONTE
23 SORT =Ilk[ley] sounds like “sought”=”looked for”. Ilkley is of course in WEST YORKSHIRE.

29 Responses to “Guardian 25,800 – Puck”

1. AndrewC says:

Thanks Puck and Manehi.

As an Antipodean with little experience of the moors or the Brontes, I was left to guessing a few of the answers. I suppose that’s the price we pay for the many joys of a Guardian crossword.

This is how I got to 14ac: ‘Reported have no’ = lac(k); ‘money’ = tin; invested in (inside); ‘label’ = tag. Lac/TA(tin)G.

And 1d: ‘Englishman’ = e/gent; ‘beginning to rant’ = r; ‘about senior officer’ = oc; ‘in charge’ = ic. EG(oc)ENT/r/ic.

- AndrewC

2. manehi says:

AndrewC – thanks, I had just got 14ac but was nowhere near 1d, will edit that now.

3. peterO says:

I think 6D reads better if you take the first A as belonging to BRA, followed by HA[s] ‘fallen short’.
    As you say, quite tricky – there were several places I needed your parsing, so much thanks.

4. NeilW says:

Thanks, manehi.

Some of this was mysterious to me, knowing precious little about the theme but all came out with a little Googling to check things like RHUBARB TRIANGLE, which couldn’t really be anything else. (Thanks to Puck for a fascinating digression on the history of forced RHUBARB!)

One point: WHEY: W(omen) HEY (dance).

5. Sylvia says:

Kept me up half the night but entertained. The anagram (Boycott runner) only became clear on seeing Bronte. Last solve the well-hidden glutei. Now off to bed happy!

6. Miche says:

Thanks, manehi.

Not a doddle, but very enjoyable.

I parsed BROUHAHA as PeterO did.

(Nitpick: in your note to 9a you have written “adjectival” for “adverbial”.)

7. .molonglo says:

Thanks manehi. Tricky, with almost half the clues cross-referring to others – plus I got distracted by amazing batting in Adelaide. Had to cheat a couple of times, to get the TRIANGLE in 16a, and SCALENE. But there were many good clues that delivered pleasure when eventually solved: eg for DEVOID and BROUHAHA. Thanks Puck.

8. Thomas99 says:

Agree with NeilW @4 re 8d (WHEY) – the ‘dance’ doesn’t make much sense without the wordplay! The CD interpretation suggests a distinctly bizarre and not very tasteful scenario about women dancing.

Thanks for the blog and to Puck for a great puzzle.

9. muffin says:

Thanks Puck and manehi
    Odd puzzle – I had no problem solving it, but parsing the solutions was quite a different matter. Rather unlike a typical Guardian crossword, in which solutions can often be constructed “bottom up” rather than “top down”. EGOCENTRIC I found was an example where “bottom up” worked – I parsed it as I constructed the solution (though I had considered “egotistic” unsuccessfully, so had an idea of where I was going).

Thanks, manehi. I thought this was a delightful puzzle. I got WEST YORKSHIRE straightaway, but then the theme wandered here and there with some lovely clueing, and it did take me a while to finally pin it down.

RHUBARB TRIANGLE is a brilliant anagram, but I can understand why overseas solvers might struggle with it. Any road up, West Yorkshire’s a foreign country to a lot of English people …

Thanks to Puck for the morning’s entertainment.

11. Gervase says:

Thanks, manehi.

I found this rather a tricky puzzle and it took me some time to get properly started. As muffin says @9, quite a few of the solutions came well before the parsings (I couldn’t parse LACTATING at all, so thanks for this). I spent a while trying to convince myself that 1a was GOOSANDER, because it contains ‘gander’ (= ‘look at’) and I tried unsuccessfully to make 15d out of (BERGEN[f]LYER). WEST YORKSHIRE took me an unconscionably long time because I was mistakenly looking for an 8-letter ‘shire’. Once I realised my error this became obvious and the rest fell out quite easily!

Great fun, though, and I enjoyed the multiple linkages and tortuous clues (eg 13a, 21a, 23d).

Thanks for the blog, manehi.

Another unusual puzzle from Puck, which was great fun to solve.

I wouldn’t have been surprised at more 6dn from our overseas solvers on the grounds of parochialism, so thanks for your indulgence re such delights as 11ac. A nice cameo role for Geoffrey Boycott, too, in another brilliant anagram, with a clever surface.

[Early on, having got 25ac, when I saw that the first word of 16ac began with R and ended with B and the clue contained 'a small part', my thoughts flew to rhubarb CRUMBle [I know it doesn't fit!] on a theme of puddings.]

Lots of clever constructions and some great story-telling surfaces. Once again, so many good clues that it’s invidious to choose favourites. Puck has again succeeded in his aim of producing a puzzle which is more than the sum of its parts – many thanks to him for the enjoyment.

13. Robi says:

Varied and interesting puzzle.

Thanks manehi; I still prefer blogs with the clues as it saves a lot of time cross-referencing. K’s dad @10: ‘Any road up, West Yorkshire’s a foreign country to a lot of English people’….. too right mate. I’ve never heard of RHUBARB TRIANGLE, but as it was an anagram, it was forgivable and could be checked via the Googlebox.

I didn’t spot EMILy climbing up 22 and for 3, lazily read the clue as 4,25 instead of 4,12; never mind it was a county ‘any road.’ ;)

14. John Appleton says:

It tooks me ages to get a foothold here, particularly with the themes. This was because my copy of the Guardian had what looked like “veoman” (which I assumed was a word) where I later realised “yeoman” should have been. I assume this was just a printing glitch with my copy as no-one else had mentioned it. Having realised that, though, things fell into place a little more quickly.

15. muffin says:

John Appleton @ 14
    My copy had “veoman” as well. I toyed with it being a subtle misdirector in the anagram, but I checked the online version before being led too far down the wrong road.
    (And anyway I guessed “West Yorkshire” after solving “rhubarb triangle”).

16. tupu says:

Thanks manehi and Puck

And thanks K’s Dad for ‘any road up’ which I remember from younger Lancashire days but have had a hard time persduading some East Anglians that it is a genuine expression.

An enjoyable puzzle. I did not remember the Ralph from L of the F. I googled Ralph and Deserted Island and only saw Raplh Fiennes on Desert Island but the answer is very clear. I also had to check Aine as an Irish name.

I liked the W Yorkshire theme. There seems too to a group of clues loosely grouping around reproduction (11a, 13a, 14a, 14d, 21a, 3d, 8d).

I ticked 13a, 5d, 14d, 20a, 22a but lots of other nice clues as well.

17. crypticsue says:

I solved a few and then got stuck. Went off and solved the Times which obviously did something to the grey matter as when I return to the Graun, light slowly began to dawn. Thanks to Manehi for the explanations and for Puck to stretching my poor old brain more than somewhat. Is BROUHAHA setters’ word of the month? That’s the second time I have seen it in a puzzle in a week.

18. tones says:

I think “party” in 14D refers to the Labour party, as the American holiday is usually spelled Labor.

Very good puzzle from Puck. Thanks, manehi, for the blog

19. Mark F says:

As a resident of 4 25 (albeit a Soft Southerner originally) I enjoyed this.

20. jim says:

I found this enjoyable, but very tricky.
    I couldn’t explain scalene or boron properly, so thanks for the explanations. And I too had never heard of the name Aine.
    Thanks Puck.

21. Derek Lazenby says:

After the first pass I was rehearsing a whinge about too many cross references. But, having expected to get stuck, it didn’t happen! Doh! How can you start a “let’s wind every one up” argument when the evidence does a dissappearing trick? I shall have to find something more boring to do instead.

Harder end crosswords can be just a slog, but this was quite fun, so well done Puck.

22. RCWhiting says:

Thanks all
    I solved this while sitting in a hospital waiting room between several treatments and discussions (one sister apologised for interrupting my crossword!)
    This was perfect for the purpose, tricky enough to last through the whole session. I failed to parse just 4,25 but I didn’t try too hard as it became more and more evident that we were in ‘God’s own country’ (I married into the ‘modest’ ranks of Yorkies).
    Last in was ‘cub scouts’ and too many enjoyable ones to name.
    I did have John@14′s printing error but it was pretty obvious that it was just a cut off at the bottom of the page.
    A good day for The G. crossword.

23. Gervase says:

Looking over this again, I found that I had parsed MATHS slightly differently from manehi.

I interpreted ‘not 1 his’ as HIS without the I: not having I at the centre makes this ‘not EGOCENTRIC’. Clever clue; pity that EGOCENTRIC was 1d, which means that the subtlety can be easily missed.

24. Rorschach says:

Not going to lie – I’m a little proud to have made it to the end of this one without helps!

A brilliant puzzle (says the man from West Yorks…)

Thanks both!

25. Paul B says:

Aine sounds like Onya, or Anya you know.

26. Giovanna says:

Thanks, Puck and manehi.

What a treat to come back to after a Graun. drought!

Loved the theme and rhubarb is a favourite in our house.

I agree with RCW that it is a good day for the G. Crossword.Good luck btw.

Giovanna x

27. Mitz says:

Thanks Puck and manehi.

Very late to even start today,and so even later to finish and everything has already been said. Loved that we had a geographical theme that wasn’t simply looking for place names: took me far too long to think of rhubarb – my only excuse being that I thought 2 might be “flambeed”, which bothered me as there was no “d” in what seemed to be the fodder.

Great stuff, Puck – more of the same please.

PS: RCW – hope it was just a routine visit and that all is well with you.

28. RCWhiting says:

Giovanna & Mitz
    Thanks.
    My amatory organ has been failing to operate efficiently recently (as do most bits of me nowadays).
    Most of the service was provided by a superbly competent and pleasant cardiac sister. It struck me that over quite a short period medics have given up some substantial parts of their exclusivity which can now be performed by nurses. My recent several experiences suggest that this is a welcome development.

29. rowland says:

Sorry to hear RCW. I hope you get well soon.

Cheers