Financial Times 14,169 by Mudd

Posted by Jed on November 23rd, 2012

Jed.

Absolutely brilliant

1 BUTTERSCOTCH (sweet) BUTTER (goat) SCOTCH (drink)

10 RECITAL (performance) (CLEAR IT)*

11 TORONTO (Canadian city) OR (gold) in TONTO (Lone Ranger brave)

12 WHIRR (turn) first letters of R[eally] I[diotic] H[ill] W[alkers]< R (right)

13 HARDSHIP (privation) D (daughter) in HARSH (severe) P[a]I[n]<

15 PENTAMETER (verse) PEN (write) TAME (harmless) T[i]ER (row minus I)

16 PSST (listen) PS (post script) ST (way)

18 IFFY (not to be trusted) guillotine – take off head of JIFFY (moment)

20 HELICOPTER (with blades) R (runs) after (THE POLICE)*

22 CONTEMPT (disdain) CON (prisoner) TEMPT (invite)

24 ARUBA (WI island) RUB (polish) in A[meric]A

26 SOLVENT clever dd

27 OPALINE (milky) (PAIL)* in ONE (person)

28 BLATHERSKITE (fool) B (bishop) LATHERS KITE (gets bird soapy!)

2 UNCTION (soothing treatment) [f]UNCTION (purpose)

3 TUTORIAL (lesson) (OUT)* in TRIAL (test)

4 ROLL dd

5 COTTAGE PIE (dish) (EPIC TO GET A)*

6 TIRED clever dd

7 HUNCHES (feelings) CHE (revolutionary) in HUNS (Germans)

8 CROWN PRINCESS (expected to succeed to throne) CROWN (old money) N (new) in PRICES (costs) S (shilling)

9 COMPUTER GAMES (youngster’s addiction) (MATURE GP)* in COMES (arrives)

14 FEVER PITCH (agitated state) (VIPER)* in FETCH (instruction to dog)

17 TOMAHAWK (weapon) TOM (man) A HAWK (warmonger)

19 FAN CLUB (band of followers) FAN (cool) CLUB (ace – card)

21 TOURIST (one on holiday) SIR< (teacher up) in TOUT (solicitor)

23 ENEMA (injection) hidden backwards in [d]AME NE[llie]

25 ROAR dd?

( )* = anagram    [ ] = omit    < = reverse    dd = double definition

5 Responses to “Financial Times 14,169 by Mudd”

1. Gaufrid says:

Thanks Jed
    I had BOAR (swine) for 25dn with the parsing being a homophone (loudly) of bore (yawn).

2. Pelham Barton says:

Thanks Mudd for a really enjoyable crossword and Jed for the blog. Favourite clue 26ac.

25dn: I agree with Gaufrid that this is ROAR, but am not completely happy with “loudly” as a homophone indicator – I would prefer something like “out loud”. To me “loudly” only relates to the volume of speech, not the fact of it.

23dn: Here I would prefer “insides of” to “inside”. We clearly need “up” as the reversal indicator for the surface reading. For those who reason that “up” is always acceptable in a down clue, there is no problem here, and I have no quarrel with them. However, to me, “up” only works for a hidden reversal in a down when the instructions are effectively to take some letters from the clue and reverse them. As the clue is written, the reversal is in the clue, not the grid, which to my mind requires a horizontal reversal indicator.

22ac: I would be happy with this as a down clue, but do not think that “over” really works as “followed by” in an across clue.

3. Pelham Barton says:

Correction to 2 re 25dn: of course I meant I agree with Gaufrid that this is BOAR.

4. Bamberger says:

I came to this after solvign the Telegraph in a good time for me.

After an hour on this I had solved 10a,11a,6d & 23d and thought that 18a might be “omen” m omen t. And that was it.
    1a I had all combinations of nanny and billy but never thought of butter.
    16a You could have sat me here all year and I would never have got that.
    20a I tried anagramming the police but became fixated on blades being something to do with ice as in iceskater and never thought of helicopter.
    24a Even if you had told me to do something with rub and ar , I simply didn’t know aruba.
    26a I had to stare at the answer for 5 minutes before the penny dropped.
    27a Never come across it.
    28a Well I’ve heard some insults but never this one. You’d have to be good to get this from the word play alone.
    2d I may have heard of this but I wouldn’t have got it today.
    4d I could only think of wind as in the stuff that blows or ahem gas.
    5d No matter how I wrote out the letters and only having the t as letter 3 ,I just couldn’t get this. Sometimes anagrams just leap out-this one didn’t.
    8d I didn’t know the term crown princess
    9d Phew -not only did you have to work out the anagram but you had to put it into another word for arrives.
    14d Of all the words I thought of, fetch must have been the only one I didn’t.
    19d Tried to anagram “cool” and “ace” .
    21d I thought of sir or miss but for solicitor I was thinking of the legal variety.
    25a I’m never much good at homophones at the best of times.

This was miles harder than weekend Mudds. I’m glad I gave up after an hour I don’t think I would have solved one more clue if I had spent a week.
    Well blogged sir

5. MikeC says:

Thanks Jed and Mudd. Quite a few tricky ones. I had BOAR for 25d but couldn’t quite see why – amazing how thinking only of the verb-al (as opposed to noun-al) sense can throw one off! I had never heard of BLATHERSKITE but the word play and crossing letters worked well. Both WHIRR and PSST were well hidden, I thought.