Guardian 25,804 – Qaos

Posted by Uncle Yap on November 27th, 2012

Uncle Yap.

I wonder whether you pronounce the name of this setter as you would chaos? But chaotic, this puzzle isn’t … in fact, quite solveable and entertaining to boot.

Thanks to ToniL’s post @1, I have just discovered that there is a mini-theme dedicated to this American film director  …. and I am changing my entertaining comment to brilliantly and creatively entertaining.

Hold cursor over any clue number to read the clue.

1 AMERICA A (last letter of Condoleezza) + ins of *(RICE) in MA (Massachusetts)
5 CATERER C (100 in Roman numeral) LATER (next) minus L (50 in Roman numeral) E (first letter of England) R (runs in cricket abbreviation) How timely and apt especially the day after England’s 10 wicket victory over India in which Captain Alastair Cook and Kevin Pietersen played the pivotal part by their superb batting in the first inning.
9 PEAKS Three-part clue with two def and a homophone for PEEKS (looks)
10 SUN-KISSED *(SKIN USES) + D (first letter of darken)
11 IDENTITIES I (island) + ins of NT (New Testament, some part of The Holy Bible) in DEITIES (gods)
12 BLUE Rev of first letters of European Union? Liberal bias, Plus 19Dpown for a neo-noir crime film, Blue Velvet (1986), which was critically acclaimed.
14 ARRANGEMENT ARRANGE (order) ME N (new) T (tee-shirt)
18 SMALL WONDER A self-explanatory tichy clue. The Great Pyramid of Giza is the oldest of the Seven Wonders of the Ancient World, and the only one to remain largely intact.
21 HEAD HE (male) + AD (ADAM minus MA)
22 WEALTHIEST Probably an &lit *(thosE WITH LEAST)
25 DIFFUSION DI (rev of I’D, I would) F (forte, loud in musical notation) FUSION (jazz fusion)
26 DAVID D (dead) AVID (keen) for DAVID a masterpiece of Renaissance sculpture created between 1501 and 1504, by the Italian artist Michelangelo. With 23D, the name of the themed American film director
27 LANTERN L (long) AN (indefinite article) CERN (European Organization for Nuclear Research, nuclear scientists) minus C (circa, about)
28 HEALTHY H (notation for hearts in card games) + ins of AL (man) in *(THEY)
1 AU PAIR AU (to the in French) PAIR (couple) &lit with such a lovely surface
2 ERASER E (last letter of bridge) R (Rex, king) A S (spade) ER (Elizabeth Regina, the Queen). +21Across for the surrealist horror Eraserhead (1977) by David Lynch
3 INSATIABLE Ins of A + B (first letter of banker) in *(LIES AIN’T)
4 ASSET Rev of TESSA (Tax-Exempt Special Savings Account)
5 CONDEMNED CON (convict, prisoner) + ins of MaN (heartless man) in DEED
6 TWIN Another one of those homophonic clues that a non-native should steer clear of, although WIN (victory) is quite apparent. Plus 9Across for the highly popular murder mysteryTwin Peaks (1990–1991)
7 RESOLVED RE-SOLVE (complete this puzzle again) D (day)
8 RED MEATS RED (wine) + *(STEAM)
13 TETRAHEDRA Ins of TRA (rev of ART, upside-down painting) in *(HEARTED)
15 RHODESIAN *(HERO SAID No) People with long memories would remember Ian Smith of Rhodesia who declared UDI for the troubled African country that later became the Republic of Zimbabwe. I wonder who will be the first to explain “no” to indicate N
16 ASPHODEL A (first letter of Allen) + *(EP HOLDS)
17 PARAFFIN PARA (paratrooper, soldier) FF TIN (can without lid)
19 VELVET Ins of TWELVE (2/3 of 12) in V (5 in Roman numeral) & T (middle letter of maths)
20 STODGY ST (saint, holy man) *(GOD) Y (sounds like why)
23 LYNCH LYN (Dame Vera LYNN of Whale Meat Again fame) CH (Companion of Honour)
24 DUNE DUN (brown) E (earth) for the science-fiction epic Dune (1984) by David Lynch

Key to abbreviations

dd = double definition
dud = duplicate definition
tichy = tongue-in-cheek type
cd = cryptic definition
rev = reversed or reversal
ins = insertion
cha = charade

57 Responses to “Guardian 25,804 – Qaos”

1. ToniL says:

Clever crossword including answers; David Lynch, Twin Peaks, Eraser Head, Blue Velvet and Dune. Possibly more ??

2. ToniL says:

ps Thanks Qaos and UY, nice crosssword and blog.

Liked the ‘Vera’ clue, we share a surname.

Is 22 and &lit, is is Biblical or something??

3. NeilW says:

Thanks, UY. Much easier than I remember previous Qaos puzzles to have been but pleasant enough. Missed the theme completely so thanks, ToniL!

Couple of tiny points: INSATIABLE is insertion of AB not just B; I thought VELVET was a cha rather than ins.

I can’t find N for No in Chambers either but you see it all the time in questionnaires, along with Y for Yes.

ToniL @2, I certainly thought 22 was &lit but I don’t think it’s biblical, more to do with Mammon.

4. molonglo says:

Thanks Uncle Yap. The theme flew over my head. I found instead a mix of softies (1,2,5 and 7d, for example) and a few tougher clues – of the latter I liked 9a, 13d and (last in) 22a. Overuse perhaps of starting/leading/finally/ultimately etc for obvious single letters, and some quirky first letters like f=50 and the n=no that bothered you, but there were some good one-letter devices inserted or held back, eg the shirt in 14, the ‘not about’ in 27a, and the debut in 16d. VG, Q.

5. molonglo says:

In 5a I’d seen ‘after’ minus f: yours is much better with ‘later’ minus l

6. muffin says:

Thanks Qaos and Uncle Yap
    Really strange crossword – some clues were so straightforward they were barely cryptic (e.g. AU PAIR, ERASER) while others were complex and rather fine – WEALTHIEST and IDENTITIES for example.
    Overall very enjoyable. I hadn’t spotted the theme until I read the comments on the Guardian site – makes it all the cleverer.

7. muffin says:

I too saw after minus F in 5ac and was going to question whether F stood for Fifty – (L)ATER is much better.
    I was also confidently writing in INK STAND for 10ac and was surprised that I ran out of letters before the spaces were all filled in!

8. John Appleton says:

Missed the theme. PEAKS stopped me from completing, the two defintions misdirected me. Decent enough puzzle though.

9. Gervase says:

Thanks, UY.

Not as tricky as previous puzzles by Qaos, but highly entertaining, with a lot of inventive clues. I also missed the unheralded theme, of course (as usual). I agree that some of the clues were rather transparent, but at least they gave a handle on the more opaque ones, via crossing letters.

I was convinced that 14a was an anagram, with words like ‘order’ and ‘new’, so that when I eventually found the only word that fitted, I couldn’t parse it! Only slight quibble about the otherwise excellent clueing is the preponderance of ‘starters’ and ‘finales’ in the charades.

I ticked a lot as I went through:21a (nice surface), 22a (definitely &lit), 3d, 6d, 19d, 20d.

Bravo Qaos.

10. Andreas61 says:

Not too hard but very clever. Thanks Qaos and thanks especially Uncle Yap. I like your blogging style, patiently explaining anything that might be obvious to some, but obscure to others like me. This time, for example, I had put in 27ac lantern without knowing why, so your CERN was an “aha” moment, even though you seem to have forgotten “t for time” in your parsing. :-)Keep up the good work!

11. Engineerb says:

Am I the only person who confidently put in “Dung” for 24d (Ground = earth (electrical), dunghill) & then got stuck trying to parse Rontgen for 27a. I’d completely missed the theme, otherwise that would have pointed me in the right direction. It added over 30 minutes of sheer frustration to what was otherwise fairly straightforward.

12. tupu says:

Thanks UY and Qaos

I didn’t much enjoy this, but in retrospect that is more my fault than the setter’s.

Like others I missed the theme. Like Muffin I was a bit disturbed by the mixture of easy and hard clues.

‘Rhodesian’ puzzled me because of the extra O for the anagram. I began to try to see if it made sense as [Cecil] Rhodes plus Ian [Smith] but it doesn’t and even that would have been no more than an &lit extra.

I lazily put in ‘clue’ for 12a, forgetting ‘bias’!

I rather liked 10a, 11a, and 20d but I thought 14a was a bit heavy-handedly obvious with the closely related two meanings of ‘arrange’.

13. Robi says:

Excellent crossword, although I also missed the theme (doh :( )

Thanks UY for a good blog. I think there may be more to this puzzle than the Lynch film titles. For example, TWIN as well as PEAKS could be associated with IDENTITIES – from Wiki: ‘many of his female characters have multiple, fractured identities. This practice began with his choice to cast Sheryl Lee as both Laura Palmer and her cousin Maddy Ferguson in Twin Peaks and continued in his later works. In Lost Highway, Patricia Arquette plays the dual role of Renee Madison/Alice Wakefield, while in Mulholland Drive, Naomi Watts plays Diane Selwyn/Betty Elms and Laura Harring plays Camilla Rhodes/Rita and in Inland Empire, Laura Dern plays Nikki Grace/Susan Blue.’

AMERICA is also one of his main themes for films; all have been set there with the exception of The Elephant Man and Dune (according to Wiki.)

I particularly liked CONDEMNED and VELVET.

14. NeilW says:

tupu @12, referring to your comment about N for No, and related to my comment @3, I see that N° 25,795 by Brummie just over a week ago had Y for Yes and nobody blinked an eye!

15. tupu says:

Thanks NeilW. I take the point. I did not so much reject the abbreviation as simply fail to see it. Perhaps I was subconsciously ‘reluctant’ to see an abbreviation of a two-letter word.

Incidentally, as UY partly points out, there seems to be an &lit element in the clue with the double duty (I assume) of ‘rebel’ as anagram indicator and UDI referent.

16. RCWhiting says:

Thanks all
    I enjoyed this one (without recognising the Lynch filmography) because several clues gave me pause for thought. Although like Muffin@6 I thought there were a few write-ins.
    Favourites were 18ac, 27ac, 15d.
    Last in was ‘peaks’.
    Like tupu I was confused by the 10 letter anagram in 15d but sussed it eventually – no(!) objection to N for no.

I see the arithmetic tests are getting harder, mine today required a two digit answer!

17. Monkeypuzzler says:

What is “surprisingly” doing in 21a? Wouldn’t it be neater without it?

18. muffin says:

Monkeypuzzler @ 17
    Perhaps because it is “AM” removed from ADAM, not “MA”?

19. Dave Ellison says:

Why a simple sum? Wouldn’t a simple cryptic clue do the job, and be more appropriate and more fun?

20. Gaufrid says:

Hi Dave @19
    Because there isn’t a WordPress plug-in with cryptic clues as the Captcha and I don’t intend to write one, even if I were more familiar with php. ;-)

21. Mitz says:

Thanks Qaos and Uncle Yap.

It seems that in future Qaos must be filed, along with Brendan, under “even-if-the-theme-isn’t-immediately-obvious-there-definitely-will-be-one-in-there-somewhere”. I’m not the world’s biggest Lynch fan, but I can’t believe I didn’t spot it.

A big range of difficulty and a pleasing variety of styles but the thing that struck me most (and has done so before with this setter) is his ability to weave an excellent surface. Condoleezza Rice, Lily Allen, Cook and his century, the little maths problem – all these looked highly convoluted at first glance but were impeccably logical for the solution they indicated and made sense in context as well. Very well played, sir.

Oh, and by the way, of course “no” can indicated “n”.

22. Trailman says:

Excellent surfaces. I guess, a happy coincidence that 5ac appears the day after a notable Test victory, but welcome all the same.

23. Derek Lazenby says:

Can’t say I’m overly fond of the short form of attribution of films which makes the film look like some original work of the screen play author who, in actuality, merely adapted an existing book or play. It gives far too much credit to what is little more than sanctioned plagarism. The artistic originality belongs only to original author, in this case Frank Herbert. David Lynch merely did a job he was paid for, no matter how well he did it.

Good xword though.

24. Mitz says:

Tiny correction UY:

13: Reversal of ART included within *(HEARTED).

And a thought just struck me: can solid 3-d figures be defined as “shapes”? Probably pedantic to suggest that they can’t, but I’d like to be sure on that point!

25. Mitz says:

Hi Derek,

Don’t really see the problem. At the Academy Awards there are two separate categories for screenplays – original and adapted. Many would argue that it is significantly more difficult to successfully adapt an existing work (book, play, whatever) than to start from scratch.

Reading the book Dune (and its sequels) is a hugely different experience to watching the (often unintentionally hilarious) film. To say that Lynch can take no credit for artistic originality when it comes to the film version is patently false, not least because it denies Herbert the opportunity to disown it!

26. Derek Lazenby says:

No. A screen play writer cannot be compared to an original author regardless of what modern day arty farty idiots invent in the way of awards. That proves nothing other than some people like creating mindless prizes that 98% of the population don’t give a fig about (ask around your local pub, “name the winner of….”). If these guys were that talented they would have original ideas themselves. Do you really want to put some mere adapter on the same genius level as Shakespeare or Dickens or Austin etc etc?

27. Mitz says:

Did you even read my comment?

28. RCWhiting says:

Mitz @24
    While tetrahedra are clearly not plane shapes they are indeed solid (3D) shapes.

29. Mitz says:

RCW,

Fair enough – just me being overly pedantic. Thought it was…

30. Lanky says:

Derek @26

That would be the same Shakespeare who came up with roughly 50% of his original ideas by reading Plutarch and Holinshed?

I thought today’s puzzle was fair, playful and clever. Not much more I can ask for.

31. Monkeypuzzler says:

Thanks muffin @18, I see it now.

As for these sums, I’m sure the point of it has all been explained before, so which day/blog should I look to for an explanation for us having to jump through arithmetical hoops?

32. Gervase says:

Monkeypuzzler @31: Read ‘a change when adding comments’ – at the top of the home page on the site

33. SeanDimly says:

Fully agree with Mitz @ 21 and Trailman @ 22 about the excellent surfaces.
    When a setter puts such emphasis on creating apt, witty and fluid surfaces, it’s perhaps inevitable that the answers will range in difficulty, and that there’ll be a few more ‘beginning’ and ‘ending’ letters than usual. But that’s fine by me.
    Enjoyed the crossword very much – though failed to spot the bonus theme.
    Thanks to Qaos, and to Uncle Yap for the blog.
    sd

34. Qaos says:

Hi all,

Many thanks, Uncle Yap, for the excellent blog and glad you enjoyed the puzzle. “Chaos” on the outside, but (hopefully) order on the inside.

I do agree with the comments about there being too many single-letter indicators. It’s a weakness of mine that I sometimes find it hard to sacrifice a good surface, so the price for this was a higher percentage of beginning and ending indicators than usual. Hopefully it didn’t detract from the overall enjoyment of the puzzle too much.

Also, it was pure chance that I should time a clue involving Cook with his recent 100 against India. But then you could argue it was more likely to be Cook than any of the other English batsmen!

BCNU

Qaos

35. John Appleton says:

Lanky @30 – well put.

The theme here, of course, is films directed by a certain person. There’s no suggestion, from what I can tell, that David Lynch is responsible for the original ideas, books, screenplays or anything other than direction. As such, a perfectly valid theme. Apologies, Derek L, if I’ve missed the point of your post at all.

Yes, Lanky’s comment on the puzzle at no 30 has said it all for me too. Thanks to Qaos and to UY for a fine blog as always. (But in your comment at 5ac, please don’t confuse our national summer sport with that girly American game based on rounders: in cricket we have innings, despite the fact that there’s only one of them at a time …)

37. Derek Lazenby says:

The point? Didn’t any body follow the link to Wiki? It starts out by saying Dune…written by David Lynch. It wasn’t. It was written by Frank Herbert and adapted by David Lynch. Written by Lynch would imply much greater deviation from the original.

In this day and age how many outside of the ivory tower dwellers have even heard of Plutarch and Holinshed? However, everybody and their uncle have heard of Shakespeare, he therefore did something far more memorable than his predecessors. In Lynch’s case he hasn’t done that, so he will be the one forgotten in future years.

Minor point KD, baseball is not descended from rounders, they are both seperately descended from an earlier English game called base-ball.

38. John Appleton says:

I have to say I didn’t follow the link to Dune – but I’d suggest if there’s a problem with Wiki’s wording…edit it :-)

I’m wondering how long it’ll be before I get one of these sums wrong…

39. Brendan (not that one) says:

I personally found this as difficult as a normal Qaos. (Mind you I am currently having to suffer the Canarian climate and beer!!)

Last corner in was the SW although in retrospect none of it looks particularly difficult although I had to drag up Asphodel from somewhere in my subconscious.

As usual I didn’t see the theme until I came here. Not that it would have helped as I am particularly poor at remembering actors’ names and even less likely to associate a director with his work!

I can’t see what DL is getting so upset about.

“Dune is a 1984 science fiction film written and directed by David Lynch, based on the 1965 Frank Herbert novel of the same name.”

This seems pretty clear to me! David Lynch was director and wrote the screenplay.

I am sure Frank Herbert would have been amused to be compared with Plutarch and Holinshed! Although I believe none of these authors would claim to have any particular literary merit. Did such a thing even exist in Plutarch’s day. Herbert in particular was keen to explore ideas rather than write anything of literary merit. JMHO ;-)

Anyway thanks to UY and Qaos

40. Sil van den Hoek says:

We really breezed through this crossword.
    In fact, I couldn’t believe this Qaos puzzle to be so easy.
    Brilliant surfaces more or less wasted by a lot of obvious definitions.
    Funny enough, in that respect, I felt like RCW on other occasions – but unfortunately he didn’t take the opportunity to be on/at my wavelength today ( :) ) [see comment 16].

OK, we missed the theme but it wasn’t enough compensation for a feeling of “please, Qaos, make it a bit harder next time”.
    At the same time, as an amateur compiler, I know how hard it is to give definitions that do not lead to write-ins like 1d, our first entry, for example.

CoD is perhaps the &Lit at 22ac (WEALTHIEST) – very clever.

Did I say ‘perhaps’? Yes,I did.
    Because the clue that took us about as long as half of the rest of the crossword was 16d (ASPHODEL).
    For us, it wasn’t immediately clear that ‘potential’ was the anagrind – and there were a lot of other options as far as the construction is concerned. This “Lift & Separate” clue a la Alberich was completely up my street.
    So perhaps, this should have been my CoD.

Apart from thanks to Qaos for a thoughtful puzzle (though less demanding than on earlier occasions), many thanks to Uncle Yap too.

41. Mitz says:

Derek,

The Wiki quite correctly states that the film was directed by Lynch, that he also wrote the screen play, and that the whole thing was based on the novel by Herbert.
    Perhaps the view from up there on your high horse was obscured by the rarified atmosphere in which you sit.
    For most mere mortals a film adaptation of a novel is a perfectly valid art form, not replacing or superceding but in many cases adding to the richness of the whole. A few to suit all tastes: Gone With The Wind, Bridge on the River Kwai, Dangerous Liaisons, LA Confidential, Brokeback Mountain, The Godfather (parts I and II), all of which won that poncey, irrelevant Academy Award for best adapted screenplay.

42. Derek Lazenby says:

Which bit of the erroneous

“Dune is a 1984 science fiction film written and directed by David Lynch”

are you guys failing to see as erroneous? The subsequent “based on” barely gives sufficient credit to the original author. The implication is that the writing was mainly Lynch’s. It wasn’t. He was merely an adaptor.

43. Mitz says:

Derek, it is you that is in error. This is the screenplay for the film Dune, written by David Lynch, based on this , the novel written by Frank Herbert. There is no difficulty and no controversy about this. Herbert most assuredly did not write the screenplay, no matter how much you claim that he did. Of course Lynch used elements of the original text in his screenplay – that is not the same as saying he simply lifted the entire book, lock, stock and barrel, and shoved it on to the screen.

As I stated above, for my own personal taste, Lynch’s adaptation is not particularly successful – there are some parts that work well, but there are others that are painful. However, this is irrelevant. You stated that the people (not just Lynch, but he was the prime mover) who adapted the book for the screen can claim no original creativity – you are wrong.

By your argument, the writer Larry McMurtry can claim all of the credit for the film Terms of Endearment as he wrote the original novel, while James L Brooks merely adapted it for the screenplay. However, McMurtry gets no kudos for the screenplay of Brokeback Mountain, as here merely adapted the screenplay from Annie Proulx’s short story. Patent nonsense.

Enough. Looking forward to comment on Araucaria’s effort later in the day.

44. RCWhiting says:

Derek is never in error, IHHO.

45. rowland says:

Unfortunately it is true that the film (ie not the book) is written by David Lynch. But why is everyone being so vile about it? Chill!!

Love
    Rowly.

46. Derek Lazenby says:

Rowly, I’m not trying to be vile about it that is a gross misrepresentation for which you should appologise. I am merely trying to establish the correct use of English. To be a writer is to be a creative artist. An author is a creative artist. An adapter who added absolutely nothing, not a single new idea, to the original idea is not a writer. I never said he didn’t do a fine job of adaption, so stop inventing things, but that doesn’t turn him, or any other adapter, into a writer.

If I ask who wrote Pride and Prejudice what will be the answer? Jane Austin, or one of the plethora of adapters that most people can’t remember? They are doing a different job which requires a different name.

47. Mitz says:

Who wrote Pride and Prejudice? Jane Austen of course.

Who wrote the screenplay for the 2005 film? Deborah Moggach and Emma Thompson.

Who wrote the screenplay for the 1995 series? Andrew Davies.

Who wrote the screenplay for the 1940 film version? Aldous Huxley.

If you can’t see how these writers have contributed creatively in bringing their respective versions to the screen then I give up.

48. rowland says:

I was trying to defend YOU Derek!

Cheers
    Rowly.

49. Derek Lazenby says:

You see, you are also missing my point. I repeat, I wasn’t saying the adapter didn’t do a good job. I have no problem with what you just said, because you qualified the statement by including the word screenplay.

The author of an original book is a primary writer. It’s adapter is merely a secondary writer (if one must use writer which I prefer not to, regardless of what the person may have done elsewhere). Without the primary writer the secondary writer is out of a job. So listing the credits in a way which implies elevating the secondary writer into being of greater importance than the primary writer is a) wrong b) belittling to the primary writer.

50. Mitz says:

What you did say, several times and with bombastic force, is that writers of screenplays, when adapting the original works of others, are not doing anything creative.

#23: “It … is little more than sanctioned plagiarism. The artistic originality belongs only to original author.”

#26: “If these guys were that talented they would have original ideas themselves.”

#37: “It [The Wiki for the film version of Dune] starts out by saying Dune… written by David Lynch. It wasn’t.”

#46: “An adapter who added absolutely nothing, not a single new idea, to the original idea is not a writer.” (Well, actually, I agree with you on this one, but I find the premise to be at fault in this instance!)

The reason I have continued to engage with you on this subject long after there seemed to be any point is that I disagree heartily with you with regards to these assertions. I apologise for using some aggressive language along the way (sorry Rowly) but I’m afraid that your attitude has got my goat. Basically, I don’t see what gives you the right to completely write off works of fantastic vision, originality and creativity that build on existing works.

I’m just going to repeat something that I said above, highlighting where I intended the stress to be: “many would argue that it is significantly more difficult to successfully adapt an existing work (book, play, whatever) than to start from scratch.” To do so successfully requires immense skill, and yes, creative and original thought.

51. matt says:

Seemed relevant…

We’ve all been there.

52. Mitz says:

Ha! Thanks Matt – yes, very apt.

53. Derek Lazenby says:

Tinsel Town is full of unjustifiably inflated egos. It is also full of ostentatious flouting of wealth. None of this has any connection with a real world in which, for example, many have no access to clean water. That there are gullible people (fans) who get sucked into believing this fantasy world has some importance is just plain sad. So of course the denizens of the industry should have their tender parts kicked at every opportunity, they are, by their own actions, fair game.

I have seen quite a few films based on books and no matter how praiseworthy the adaption I have yet to see such which adds more than it loses. What is lost is usually the absolutely essential “inner thoughts” or “situation analysis” which are so difficult to include in a visual medium, especially when these are lenghty passages. What is also frequently lost is huge and significant chunks of the plot due to the time constraints. I can agree some stirling efforts have been made in the field of adaption, but better than the original? No way.

I suppose there may be a film somewhere based on a third rate book where almost any modification would be an improvement, but I haven’t seen one.

54. RCWhiting says:

“Tinsel Town is full of unjustifiably inflated egos. It is also full of ostentatious flouting of wealth. None of this has any connection with a real world in which, for example, many have no access to clean water.”
    But surely that could apply to SOME novelists, musicians, singers, visual artists etc so why pick on screenwriters for extra venom?

55. Admin says:

Gentlemen

56. Brendan (not that one) says:

“There have been more than enough off topic comments in this post. Please desist from adding any more.”

Boooo. Stop being such a spoilsport! ;-)

Or alternatively please apply the same logic to Schua’s blogs. Ooooooooooooops!

57. RCWhiting says:

But we are discussing David Lynch whose work is the theme of this puzzle. How much more on-topic can you be?