Donations – a big THANK YOU!

Posted by Gaufrid on December 7th, 2012

Gaufrid.

Many, many thanks to all you generous people out there for your donations. There are just too many of you for me to write to thank you individually.

When I first mentioned donations, my hope was that there would be enough offers to meet the hosting costs for the next twelve months. The initial response to my request was such that I quickly had to revise my target to two years, which had the added benefit of being able to take advantage of the discount available on the hosting company’s biennial tariff.

However, this still became an unrealistic target as offers of donations continued to come in, at a far greater rate than I had originally anticipated. The end result is that, if/when the final contributions arrive, there will be enough in the kitty to pay for a third year’s hosting! My apologies to those who wanted to donate more but, as you can see, the £5 I set was certainly enough.

I sincerely hope that some of the lurkers who came out of the shadows to offer a donation might now feel that they can participate more actively on the site. It’s not compulsory but, you never know, you might enjoy it. ;-)

To  conclude, my sincere thanks to all those who made a donation. It has helped to secure the future of Fifteensquared (not that there was any doubt, at least not whilst I am the administrator!).

18 Responses to “Donations – a big THANK YOU!”

1. Median says:

Wonderful news, Gaufrid! Obviously, loads of people feel the same as I do about Fifteensquared: it’s an enjoyable, stimulating part of my daily routine, one that I shouldn’t expect to be free. Long may it thrive!

Let’s just hope the move goes smoothly and turns out to be worth the upheaval.

2. Gaufrid says:

Hi Median
    “Let’s just hope the move goes smoothly and turns out to be worth the upheaval.”

So do I. The support I have had from the new hosting company has been exemplary (unlike the last one) and I’m sure this will continue. However, time will tell.

Yes, thank you Gaufrid for organising all this – donating a fiver seems easy in comparison to all the work you’ve no doubt had to do to make sure we’re in better hands from now on. Fingers crossed for a pain-free changeover.

4. Gaufrid says:

Hi K’s D
    Yes, I’ve been rather busy (understatement) this week sorting out the transfer and handling all the much appreciated donations. I have evey confidence in the new hosting company, I only hope that I am not proved wrong. Again, time will tell.

5. Paul B says:

It was a pleasure to be able to donate. Let’s hope this next lot are a bit more professional.

What a great result! Huge thanks to Gaufrid for the many hours he has spent in sorting all this out.

This whole business has not been entirely a bad thing. People have been led to express and to show how much 15² means to them and that’s hugely gratifying. We’ve always known that there are many more people reading the blogs than commenting on them and they too have been prepared to put their hands in their pockets.

I propose that Gaufrid use some of the surplus to buy himself a large bottle of his favourite amber liquid, with our thanks for all his hard work and dedication to our great site. ;-)

[The sums are getting harder: this one goes into double figures!]

7. Gaufrid says:

Thanks Eileen
    With regard to your proposal, this is not something I am prepared to do. The donations were given to cover the hosting costs and this is how they will be spent.

8. chas says:

I was happy to contribute: such a valuable site should not be reliant on the moderator paying personally. All of us who benefit should contribute.

9. liz says:

Thanks for all your hard work, Gaufrid. It was a pleasure to donate. This site has given me a lot of enjoyment — and taught me a lot too :-)

10. HolyGhost says:

Gaufrid –

I’ve only just seen these “Announcements” and will willingly donate. Just let me know how — in your own time, when your hands aren’t as full as they may be this w/e.

- H___G____

11. tupu says:

Hi Gaufrid
    Great news. Like others, I’m immensely grateful for your efforts, in this and other contexts, on our behalf.

12. Tramp says:

Thanks for everything Gaufrid

13. togo says:

Thanks for steering us to what already seems to be smoother and faster Gaufrid. Your determination not to use even a bottle’s worth of our contributions for yourself is (unsurprisingly) principled, but still somehow disappointing.

Cheers!

14. Gervase says:

Bravo, Gaufrid. A fiver was a ridiculously small price to pay for continued amusement and stimulation.

15. Bertandjoyce says:

Thanks Gaufrid for all your efforts!

It’s been a small price to pay for all the enjoyment that the site gives us.

16. yogdaws says:

Hi

Like to make a donation. What do I do?

Best, Yogdaws

17. yogdaws says:

PS

Re donation.

If you could email me donation payment details directly would be appreciated.

Best, Yogdaws