Independent no. 8161 by Quixote

Posted by flashling on December 10th, 2012

flashling.

Welcome to our new improved site, Quixote for us today.

Mostly fine stuff from Don, 22d had me for a while but can’t see 3d so help would be appreciated.

Across:

23 ICENI Hidden in vICE Nightly
24 LIONESS O (Duck) in LINES + S(and) [and getting buried]
25 STANDEE [EAST END]*
26 OPEN SECRET [SO PRETENCE]*
1 MADNESS END rev in MASS
2 RESEARCH FELLOW [FEW CALLERS HERO]*
3 THEREFORE Stuck here, I can see THAT =THERE and E is the natural base in maths – ideas please
4 ROTARIAN ROTA + 1 in RAN
5 UNDONE D(ay) in UN + ONE
6 IVES Hidden in festIVE Season
7 ADVENT CALENDAR Cryptic definition
8 CRETAN C(old) + RE (about) + TAN
15 HERMITAGE (Channel Island) HERM + IT + AGE
16 HARRISON [HARMONISER (-ME)]*
17 COBBLE DD
19 EXIGENT E(nglish) + XI + GENT
20 OWNS UP OWN + SUP
22 TEES Middle letters of baTTle are both TEES.

9 Responses to “Independent no. 8161 by Quixote”

1. Gaufrid says:

Thanks flashling
    3dn is a def. (so that) plus a cryptic def. In maths, three dots in the form of a triangle mean ‘therefore’. See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Therefore_sign

2. flashling says:

Ahhh, and me with a degree in maths too, hangs head in shame :-)

3. allan_c says:

Nice one again from the Don, suitably gentle for a Monday. Completed in two passes, and easily parsed as well, though I only saw 3dn after writing it in.

16dn presumably refers to George Harrison (1943-2001) of the Beatles – see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Harrison

21ac seemed familiar; I think the device of inserting T into ‘Bellower’ was used elsewhere recently, although clued differently.

Thanks, Quixote and flashling

4. hounddog says:

You’re not the only one, flashling. My excuse is that I haven’t written out a proof in about 30 years.

Re 21ac, allan_c, I had that deja vu feeling as well.

5. flashling says:

Bell(t)ower appeared in DAC’s puzzle last week.

6. NealH says:

I finished the right side of this very quickly but found the left side a little harder. If I recall correctly, the other bell tower clue was identical to this one but clued as “campanile” – at least this one was a bit fairer for the people who don’t know what a campanile is.

7. Pelham Barton says:

Thanks Quixote for an enjoyable puzzle and flashling for the blog. I must add my name to the list of mathematicians who failed to parse 3dn.

21ac: As others have noted, Dac used T in BELLOWER = BELL TOWER last week. It should be noted that the indications for T and BELLOWER were different, as well as the definition.

8. Bertandjoyce says:

Thanks flashling.

We had INVADER pencilled in for 10ac without being able to parse it so 5d became imposible to sort out.

Thanks to The Don for a good start to the week!

9. Genevieve Crisp says:

Abbreviation for ‘therefore’ in maths is three dots in triangle formation, two at bottom and one at top.