Financial Times 14,187 by Hamilton

Posted by Jed on December 14th, 2012

Jed.

Tricky – 23 across still not resolved

9 INSTRUMENTALIST one who plays IN at home STRU[t] swagger MENTALIST mind reader?

10 ALIGN co-ordinate sounds like A LINE (12 across clue)

11 THEREWITH why (HE THREW IT)*

12 TWENTY-TWO 22 metre line in rugby 30 – 8 = 22

14 AWARD medal WAR conflict in AD modern times

16 SELECT COMMITTEE tongue in cheek definition

19 NYMPH beautiful girl – last letters of been my …

21 ENDEAVOUR dd Colin Dexter’s eponymous detective

17 LAME DUCK bankrupt Spooner’s DAME LUCK

20 HAREMS ladies’ rooms M maiden in HARES hurries

22 OUTWIT better OU in French (Nancy – French town) TWIT dope

23 MAUL ill-treat [e]M[m]A[n]U[e]L

24 RUIN relic BRUIN bear minus B bishop

( )* = anagram    [ ] = omit    dd = double definition   < = reverse

8 Responses to “Financial Times 14,187 by Hamilton”

1. DavidA says:

Jed, I suppose in 23 across, modest=moderate, and taking 25% off we have modera.

2. AID says:

18 down I dare say
    Ares was the Greek god of war contained by 1 day.

3. Pelham Barton says:

Much to enjoy in this crossword, especially the cryptic definitions at 16ac and 13dn, so thanks Hamilton for those, and thanks Jed for the blog.

2dn: The word “that” seriously disrupts the cryptic grammar to me.

7dn: Here on the other hand, “at” seems to be doing double duty, as part of the anagram fodder and anagram lead.

23dn: “even Emmanuel” to mean “even numbered letters of Emmanuel” is too much of a stretch for my liking.

As always, I have no quarrel with those whose views on precision of cluing differ from mine.

4. Pelham Barton says:

Further to 3 re 2dn: I think the clue would work much better as “Aim to disrupt leadership that has held out” – possibly the word “has” got lost?

5. Robi says:

Good puzzle; thanks to Hamilton, and Jed for the blog.

PB@2; ‘the fort that held out against Indian attack’ seems OK to me. 7d ‘at’ is doing double duty, but I don’t think it really spoils the clue. ‘Even Emmanuel’ seems OK to me, but as you say, horses-for-courses. :)

6. Pelham Barton says:

Robi @5: I am happy to agree to differ on 7dn and 23dn, but feel it appropriate to point out that the devices used do not have universal approval.

I am not sure I understand your first comment – the surface grammar is fine, but 2dn reads (at least on the online version I was using) “Aim to disrupt leadership that held out”. I do not see how that can reasonably be interpreted as an instruction to remove the letters H-E-L-D from an anagram of “leadership”.

7. Ferret says:

Nice solve……spent far too long playing with old advertising slogans and Roman gods trying to justify 18d as A MARS BAR :-)

8. fearsome says: