Financial Times 14,190 by Neo

Posted by PeeDee on December 18th, 2012

PeeDee.

Neo is new to me.

I am standing in for scchua who is away at the moment, so it is nice to get some new setters to blog.  Very enjoyable and mostly steady going except for the SW corner which took me longer than the rest of the crossword put together.  Looking back I can’t see why as the solutions are all there waiting to be found, I just couldn’t seem to get started.  Thank you Neo.

Hold the mouse pointer over any clue number to read the clue.

1 ACCURATELY CURATE (clergyman) in (suits=clothing) CLAY* (creation=anagram)
7 AJAX J (judge) In AA (sober group) given X (kiss) – football club
9 MIND contained (housed) by sexisM IN Design
10 BEER GARDEN DRAG (yank) RE (regarding, on) reversed in BEEN
11 TERROR T (time) ERROR (fault)
12 YARMOUTH (HOUR AT MY)* anagram=happy, drunk
13 CALLISTO IS T (first fo travel) in CALL and O (rings) – moon of Jupiter
15 TO-DO TOD (fox) O (a hole)
17 CAIN CAIrN (breed of terrier) with R=runs missing – killer in the bible
19 ANALYSIS double definition
22 PARANOID PARA with NO ID = soldier with no papers
23 LIVING double definition
25 GET THE CHOP double defintion
26 RIOT patRIOT (chauvinist) missing PAT (Irishman)
27 TSAR S (son) in TAR (sailor)
28 NO NONESENSE double definition (cryptic definition?)
2 CHIMERA CHIME (to agree with) RA (Royal Academian, artist) – mythical Greek creature
3 UNDER hUN (vandal, missing head) DER (the, German) – I can’t quite fathom the definition.  I can’t think of an example where ‘under’ could replace ‘down’.  The definition could also be ‘brings down’, but I don’t get anywhere with that either.
4 ARBORIST BORIS (Johnson) with ART (works) outside
5 EVERY NOW AND THEN (THE RENOWNED NAVY)* anagram=screws up
6 YOGURT TRUe (loyal) GOY (gentile) reversed (served up) missing (wanting) E=enegry
7 AIRWORTHY anagram of ARROW HIT Y (head of yeoman) anagram=new
8 ALERTED T (tons) in DEALER* anagram=crooked
14 LANCASTER CAST (thrown) into LANE (road) by R (rex, king) – Edmund Crouchback, 1st Earl of Leicester and Lancaster
16 TAILSPIN TAIL (sounds like tale, story) with SPIN (political bias)
18 AMADEUS MADE in AUS (made in Australia) – to ‘be made’ is to have achieved a position of success
20 IGNEOUS US (FT compilers) going after I (one) G (good) including NEO (the writer of this crossword)
21 GOVERN G (gravitational constant) OVER (divided by) N (any number) – rule, as of law
24 VERNE V (against) ERNE (sea eagle) – Jules Verne

*anagram

5 Responses to “Financial Times 14,190 by Neo”

1. Rowland says:

First one of the day for me, as you say it’s all there, but the indication is very subtle! I mean I was totally foxed by the desighn house one, just couldn’t see it. 21 fave among many good uns.

UNDER = adverb? Down by £5, under by £5 maybe.

Cheers PeeDee
    Rowly.

2. Sil van den Hoek says:

Did this puzzle tonight after tackling the Guardian’s Bonxie with my inseparable PinC.
    And while (in a way) still gushing about that crossword, I liked this one very much.
    In fact, I always like the puzzles by Neo (aka Tees, aka Paul B).
    He might be critical about others, he is really true to his own principles! [So no L for 'Labour leader' today :) ]

Of course, AJAX was my first entry (though I am not really a fan of this club).
    But the real gems were, IMO, 15ac (‘fox hole’!), 22ac (which I didn’t get without external help), 12ac (containing two anagram indicators!) and 21d (very nice idea).
    And why didn’t I spot AMADEUS (18d) rightaway? A sign that it was probably a very good clue.

Thanks PeeDee for the blog of an excellent (lightweight) puzzle.

3. jmac says:

I don’t think this was at all lightweight. It was a most stimulating puzzle. Sometimes Neo makes the clue construction reasonably obvious but here I felt there was a rounding off of the edges, a higher degree of ambiguity, and for this this I applaud him. Thanks Neo and PeeDee for the blog.

4. Sil van den Hoek says:

jmac, my qualification ‘lightweight’ had to do with how I experienced this puzzle. It doesn’t equal ‘too easy’ or the like.
    But, I admit, I found this crossword easier than the average Neo. I found it ‘lightweight’ on the Mr B scale.

That said, in general I appreciate his style very much, so I have no complaints whatsoever. Remember that in the last line of my comment the word ‘excellent’ was not placed inside brackets!

5. Neo says:

Many thanks folks, and cheers to PeeDee for a great blog.