Guardian Prize Puzzle 25,820 by Shed

Posted by PeeDee on December 22nd, 2012

PeeDee.

I found this a bit lacklustre.   There was nothing actually wrong with any of the clues but overall the puzzle seemed to lack a little sparkle.   Normally I find puzzles from Shed entertaining and more of a challenge.  Maybe I was just not in the right mood today.

Hold the mouse pointer over any clue number to read the clue.

1 MIDDLE INCOME (MEN DOMICILED)* abroad=anagram
8 LEGROOM LE (the, French) GROOM (man of the match=wedding)
9 FAIR COP (CAR I)* in FOP (dandy) – to apprehend is to arrest
11 ILLNESS sILLiNESS (buffoonery) with S (second) and I (one) removed, ‘individually’ indicates from separate places
12 REGULAR double definition
13 SOFIA I in SOFA (item of furniture)
14 AFTERCROP anagram (reaped) of F (female) REP and ACTOR
16 IMPRUDENT R (Rex, monarch) in IMPUDENT (undiplomatic)
19 CADET CADE (rebel) and T (time)
21 IMPRESS double definition
23 LAMBAST MBA (educated bisuness person) in LAST (terminal)
24 GALLERY ALL (everything) in GREY* anagram=funnily
25 ANAEMIC (A CINEMA)* turned=anagram
26 ARISTOTELIAN ARISTO (toff) and ELI (priest) in TAN (brown)
1 MAGALUF A GAL (chick) in MUFf (handwarmer, not quite all of)
2 DUODENA E (eastern) to be introduced to (put inside) AND (also) then OUD (stringed instrument) all reversed (rising) – more than one duodenum (part of the gut)
3 LIMESCALE LIE (tale) about MESCAL (spirit)
4 INFER IE (that is) R (right) about NF (National Front, the far right) – I’m not sure what ‘formerly’ does here, from what I can see the NF is still an active organisation.
5 CLINGER C (circa, about) LINGER (hang on)
6 MACULAR MA (mum) and (A CURL)* adjusting=anagram
7 PLAIN SAILING Spoonerism of “slain pailing” (murdered fence)
10 PERIPATETICS CITE (reference) TAPIR (proboscis owner) all reversed (about) with E (elephant’s head) in PS (footnote) – Aristotelians
15 TITILLATE ILL (poorly) ATE (fed) following TIT (bird) – definition is ‘turn on’
17 POPULAR UP reversed (rising) in POLAR (extreme)
18 USELESS Monica SELES (former tennis player) in US (America)
19 CAMPARI CAMP (apparently gay) IRA (former terrorist organisation) reversed (raised)
20 DRAYMAN AMY (girl) covered by NARD (fragrent oil) all reversed (up) – the driver of a beer wagon
22 SAY SO SAYS O (zero, nothing)

*anagram

9 Responses to “Guardian Prize Puzzle 25,820 by Shed”

1. Biggles A says:

Thanks PeeDee. I thought it was a fair challenge. I had some difficulty with 2, mainly because I could only find very indirect reference to OUD as a stringed instrument. I had also convinced myself that 3 had to be ‘lampshade’ until that penny dropped.

A typo in your comment on 4 – formerly.

2. molonglo says:

Thanks PeeDee. Like Biggles, I fixated on ‘lampshade’ for 2d, having abandoned ‘limestone’ with mesto as the spirit: 3d defeated me. Otherwise it was all right – never heard of 1d, but it checked out. Typo in yr TITILLATE.

3. Bryan says:

Many thanks PeeDee

This was PLAIN SAILING but very enjoyable nevertheless.

Many thanks Shed. your Ma will be very proud of you – if she isn’t already.

4. PeeDee says:

Typos fixed now, thanks. By not much of a challenge I don’t mean that it was particularly easy, just that one didn’t have to do much lateral thinking to solve it. Straightforward anagrams and charades thoughout.

5. tupu says:

Thanks PeeDee and Shed

Medium hard with neat cluing. I liked 20d but had to check ‘nard’. I also liked 22a and 10d.

6. brucew_aus says:

Thanks Shed and PeeDee

Agree that this was a reasonably challenging assignment without the normal ‘zing’ that comes from Shed. Last in was TITILLATE for no good reason – but had more difficulty with the parsing of both 2d and 10 – which I needed assistance with, so thanks again PeeDee.

Smiled at 8a and also liked the construction of 11a and 17d.

7. RCWhiting says:

Thanks all
    Nothing very special as explained above.
    Although I solved 10d due to its definition I did not spot the ‘tapir’.
    I had similar problems to Biggles. I was convinced that I had seen ‘oud’ before (possibly in Azed) but could not find it in an old Chambers which was all that was available where I was staying.
    When I got home I found it in my latest edition. This intrigued me:why should such a word (no neologism surely) suddenly appear?

8. r_c_a_d says:

Could I politely request that you don’t use the “mouse over” to display the clue, please. Or at least provide an alternative rendering for tablet devices.

…not many comments today. I guess everyone is stuck in to the 21×21 already :)

9. chas says:

Thanks to PeeDee for the blog. I had PERIPATETICS because that was the only word I could find to fit the crossing letters. I missed TAPIR and the rest of it passed me by.

I chuckled over Le Groom and the mixture of languages.