Everyman No. 3454 (16th December)

Posted by The Trafites on December 23rd, 2012

The Trafites.

Lorraine:  Good morning to you all,

Good all round puzzle this week, I enjoyed it immensly. Lots of anagrams which is one of my favourite type of clue. I thought 26ac was a good clue.

First in this week was 17ac, last in was 6ac.

Big thank you to Everyman for a fine crossword.

1. Crayons may have been put in this place, since moving (6,4)
PENCIL CASE (PLACE, SINCE)*
6. Fish from shop, a haddock (4)
OPAH hidden: shOP, A Haddock
9. Write in detail about king in exile (10)
EXPATRIATE EXPATIATE around R
10. Sensitive over a London landmark (4)
EROS SORE<
(with no grid entries) is this clue ambiguous? It could easily be EROS<
12. Bird dog heading off (5)
EAGLE (b)EAGLE
14. Outcome of bitter suffering around pole? (9)
FROSTBITE (OF BITTER*) around S &lit
15. What conscripts had to do, subject to check (8,7)
NATIONAL SERVICE NATIONAL+SERVICE &lit, I guess
17. Unspecified number in bundle – bargains, possibly, from a charity event (5-3-3,4)
BRING-AND-BUY SALE Y[unknown number] in (BUNDLE – BARGAINS*)
18. There’s little weight on girl, daughter declared (9)
ANNOUNCED (OUNCE on[after] ANN)+D
20. Come into section of garden terrace (5)
ENTER hidden: gardEN TERrace
22. Wheel hub and what sounds like jack (4)
NAVE homophone: KNAVE
23. Unwisely retreated, I said again (10)
REITERATED (RETREATED, I)*
25. First to recommend Cambridgeshire city bank (4)
RELY R(ecommend)+ELY
26. One ought to know a lot about houses (10)
ASTROLOGER cd – ‘house’ is one of the 12 parts of the heavens astrologers use to predict stuff
1. See 19
- -
2. Snatch forty winks in break, after saying goodbye to son (3)
NAP (s)NAP
3. Eventually qualified for a marathon? (2,3,4,3)
IN THE LONG RUN cdd
4. Tribe’s leader one English newspaper featured in series (9)
CHIEFTAIN (I+E+FT) in CHAIN
5. Argument from group against (3-2)
SET-TO SET+TO[against]
7. Actor’s role, one I strongly criticise in court (11)
PARTICIPANT (PART[role]+I)+(I PAN in CT)
8. Males relaxing inside now in a Surrey town (9)
HASLEMERE (MALES*) in HERE
11. Morsel, pretty poor for a seabird (6,6)
STORMY PETREL (MORSEL, PRETTY*)
13. Clotho given spread – a horror story (6,5)
GOTHIC NOVEL (CLOTHO GIVEN)*
15. Airborne, flying around noon – it requires little thought (2-7)
NO-BRAINER (AIRBORNE*) around N
16. Bottom pinched by admirer, Observer employee? (9)
SUBEDITOR BED in SUITOR
19,1. Conservative speeches I prepared for bishop, say (10)
CHESSPIECE (C+SPEECHES I)*
21. One may be saddled with a supplementary clause (5)
RIDER dd
24. Some bust a gut to get a ticket (3)
TAG hidden: busT A Gut
 …………………………….

6 Responses to “Everyman No. 3454 (16th December)”

Many thanks, Lorraine (and for all your blogs during 2012).

Persuaded myself that the Surrey town was HASELMERE, which didn’t help matters, but after that was corrected, all clearly clued as usual. Just had to check out our fishy friend at 6ac.

I agree with you about EROS/SORE being ambiguous – it’s one of my pet niggles. Other folk will say that that’s what crossing letters are for, but for me, the stand alone clue could be read two ways. Small point in, as always, a pleasing Sunday puzzle.

2. Davy says:

Thanks Lorraine,

Another good puzzle from Everyman which I didn’t start till Wednesday due to its absence from the Guardian website
    on the Sunday. I particularly liked EXPATRIATE, RELY, CHIEFTAIN and CHESSPIECE. Thanks Everyman for all the puzzles
    throughout the year and thanks Lorraine etal for the blogging. All the best. Merry Crimbo.

3. Robi says:

Smooth as ever.

Thanks Lorraine and for all the efforts in 2012. Happy Festive Season!

I guess 10 could be read either way, but I interpreted the surface to give EROS, so no problem there.

I didn’t know NAVE=wheel hub and had to look up OPAH (Winfrey?. ;) )

4. Bamberger says:

Got stuck in Tyneside. If you’d given me an even money bet as to whether opah was a fish or not, I’d have said no.
    Also failed on 7d where “pan” = crticise was a step too far for me and 14a where I thought i was looking for something meaning outcome such as result.

Thanks for blog.

5. John says:

I struggled to parse SUBEDITOR, having convinced myself that SUB was the word part from BOTTOM.

6. Rolf says:

I did not think 10 across was ambiguous, and indeed put it in before having any of the cross letters. To me it was clear: Sensitive (= sore)
    over — reversed, and the surface was a London landmark (statue of
    Eric in Pickaninny Surplus :-) ).