Guardian 25,829 – Gordius

Posted by Andrew on December 27th, 2012

Andrew.

Due to post-Christmas activities today’s blog is rather rushed and abbreviated – apologies for any errors or omissions. Standard Gordius stuff, I think, though with the pressure of time I haven’t considered it in much detail.

1. THERAPY (PRAY THE)*
5. AT WORST (TWO STAR)*
9. AUDIO AUDI + O
10. REED ORGAN “Read” + ORGAN
11. ANALGESIA ANGEL* in ASIA (“in continent”)
12. NUTTY NUT (teachers’ trade union) + T[r]Y (sample)
13. LOOSE LOOS + E
15. INCOMMODE MOD in INCOME
18. AIR POCKET “Heir” + POCKET (gain)
19. HOTEL HO (house) + reverse of LET
21. GULAG U (upper class=smart) + L in GAG
23. ENLIGHTEN NL in EIGHT + EN (the character N)
25. LIGHTSHIP (HIS PLIGHT)*
26. MAYBE Richard MABEY with the Y moved to the middle
27. RECEDES DEC in SEER, all reversed
28. YEAR DOT Y (unknown) + (DATE OR)*, with “26″ providing the angrind “maybe”
1. TRAVAIL AV (Authorised Version of the bible) in TRAIL
17. OUTSTAYED STAY in OUTED, I presume, but I can’t see why outed = injected
18. ANGULAR (A LAG RUN)*
20. LENIENT I EN (printer’s space) in LENT
22. LOGIC [King] LOG (from Greek mytholohy) + IC
23. ETHOS THOSE with E moved to be the first letter
24. GAMMA AM MAG, all reversed

11 Responses to “Guardian 25,829 – Gordius”

1. rhotician says:

Presumably ‘ejected’ was intended in 17.

Hardly even ** overall.

2. Trailman says:

Thanks for blogging, Andrew.

Fairly straightforward stuff. I too wonder if there is a typo in 12d. NW corner took most time: I went away, flicked through G2 (there’s something you can’t do online), came back and LOOS/E fell in, hence quickly ENDEAVOUR, though I didn’t know the Morse connection.

3. tupu says:

Thanks Andrew and Gordius

Not overly impressed, especially re 17d – :)Trailman 12d is itself a typo! I checked va and av in 1d before I saw the reference. I also had to check King Log thoug the answer was clear.

I found 23a hard to parse until I managed to get ‘ten’ out of my head and stopped looking for ‘ether’ in reverse. I eventually liked it and also 11a and 28a.

4. RCWhiting says:

Thanks all
    After several hearty seasonal meals recently this was a small bowl of gruel.
    A couple of examples: in both 1ac and 25ac the anagram fodder includes part of the solution unmixed (‘the’, ‘light’).
    I agree about the ‘injection’ query and I had never heard of King ‘Log’.

5. Ape says:

Easy puzzle, completed on train between Ely and Peterborough. Maybe easy as grid gives you lots of first letters.

Didn’t recognise ENDEAVOUR Morse but I like it now.

6. Morpheus says:

Seemed very easy. Makes you wonder about how the editor makes his choice of puzzle. We get stonkingly hard ones in the middle of the week sometimes and then stuff that hardly has one break sweat in the middle of (what for a lot of people are the) holidays.

7. RCWhiting says:

Morpheus
    There are those who claim it is all carefully and deliberately graded through the week.
    Yesterday afternoon on Radio 4 there was a potted history of the cryptic crossword by Lynn Truss. In interviews with Xword editors this was repeated with particular reference to Crispa on a Friday.
    I agree with you, I think it is just post-event (mis)rationalisation!

8. Derek Lazenby says:

RCW, Morpheus, it is our Xword editor who makes that statement about gradation in his monthly blogs as well in the interviews you mention. RCW, you are wrong, nobody has ever claimed this as some sort of theory. All any of us has ever done is pass on information about a publibly stated intention, we pass the information on in good faith. Do you understand “publicly stated”? It means you could look it up for yourself and realise the accuracy of the statement. Given the editorial statements indicate pre-event intention, you are presumably calling the editors liars when you choose to claim otherwise?

The intention for graduation is only ever a general aim, it has never been given as an absolute rule. So obviously there will be regular divergences from that aim, it is only an aim. You would need to be totally lacking in imagination not to expect inconsistency.

9. fearsome says:

thanks Andrew and Gordius
    I quite liked the two star / at worst clue
    Endeavour has popped up in a couple of crosswords I have recently done.
    So it may soon be picked up by other setters.
    I listened to Lynne Truss, didn’t think she did a good job selling crosswords.
    Crosswords are things we do for fun and I don’t think this came across.
    I try not to take crosswords too seriously despite the time I devote to them.
    Too many comments here are complaints about clues and too few about the ones that made us smile.

10. RCWhiting says:

fearsome
    I agree re: Lynn Truss: I felt that because it was a radio programme she felt obliged to devote too much time to past attempts at crossword radio programmes (especially ones featuring herself).
    My experience of such programmes is that they just do not work and miss all the essential delights of crosswords.

11. rhotician says:

When Morse’s first name was revealed a letter in the Times welcomed this, given the Inspector’s previous romantic disappointments, as the long-awaited explanation of “One is one and all alone Endeavour Morse shall be so”. Alan Coren remarked on the News Quiz that he was alarmed that his Editor might wonder why he should go on paying him for this sort of thing now that readers were supplying it for free.