Independent 8190 by Punk

Posted by Jed on January 14th, 2013

Jed.

Challenging and really entertaining – need help explaining 26 across

8 IDLE out of a job (Eric – Monty Python)

9 CHATELAINE mistress of castle CHAT (talk) ELAINE (girl)

10 PITA Greek bread hidden in [hos]PITA[l]

14 WHERE ELSE nowhere better ER queen in WHEELS car [palac]E

16  IN PIECES shattered I (single) P[aren’t] in NIECES relatives

17 PALE FACE Native American for white man – not brave

18/25 HARD TIME unpleasant experience H[itler] (I DREAMT)*

20 OUTBOX defeat in boxing ring – computer file

21 COUGAR cat [t]OUG[h] in CAR Jaguar perhaps

22 IRITIS eye inflammation I (sounds like eye) R (runs) IT IS (confirmation)

23 STIFF dd (hard and to cheat)

( )* = anagram    [ ] = omit    dd = double definition

9 Responses to “Independent 8190 by Punk”

1. hounddog says:

26A is a reference to Muhammad Ali/Cassius Clay’s self proclaimed ‘floating like a butterfly’ referring to his footwork in the ring.

2. Flashling says:

Hound dog beat me to 26. Was expecting more rude stuff from punk but nice linked theme. Cheers jed.

3. Dormouse says:

24/7 made me laugh out loud.

4. Wanderer says:

I’m with Dormouse. 24/7 inventive and hilarious. Best thanks Punk and Jed.

5. Wil Ransome says:

How does ‘I’m the Pope’ lead to ‘I’m RC’? Surely ‘the Pope’ is not a definition of ‘RC’.

Otherwise a good crossword (apart from those 40% checked answers, but I think that is a lost cause).

6. Raich says:

Comment #5 reminds me of a billboard campaign by a drinks company some years ago which read “Are you going for a pint?”
    Someone wrote underneath it “Is the Pope a Catholic?”

7. Bertandjoyce says:

We started the puzzle late last night and then were too tired to finish it! The last few clues were filled in this morning with 24/7 being a real laugh out loud moment! A great start to the day – thanks Punk!

Thanks Jed for the blog.

8. eimi says:

Punk has decided to blog all his puzzles in his various guises on his crossword centenary site. Here is a link to his explanation for this puzzle:

9. Graham Pellen says:

Word play for 17D omitted -f[emale] in (or accessing) lea (field) all in pace (walk). Pa[le(f}a]ce.