Financial Times 14,212 by IO

Posted by PeeDee on January 16th, 2013

PeeDee.

Quite tricky but with a couple of easy starters to get me going, thanks IO.

I really messed this up, first by mistakenly writing the solution to 4dn in the grid at 10dn, then later by entering ‘news on the street’ instead of ‘word on the street’, misspelling EEYORE as EYEORE and finally accidentally deleting the entire blog just before I was ready to publish.  What a nightmare!

7 Monopolised by FT compilers? O, no! We went down on them! (3,5)
ALL FOURS

ALL oF OURS (what is monopolised by FT compilers) missing O – I am not 100% sure of this explanation

8 Simpletons executed a lot (6)
OODLES

nOODLES decapitated

11 Massage divers naked (5)
KNEAD

NAKED*

12 Like poetical (spring?) hares in huge numbers? (9)
ABOUNDING

A-BOUNDING – leaping like a March hare

13 Real fddler fxing on the end (3- 4)
NON-ZERO

ON Z (the end) in NERO (fiddler)

14 I used to paint and draw explorer (7)
TIEPOLO

TIE (draw) and Marco POLO (explorer) – Giovanni Tiepolo, Venetian painter and print artist

15 The latest information on future soap storylines? (4,2,3,6)
WORD ON THE STREET

cryptic definition – Coronation Street

18 Not obvious an ulcer burst (7)
UNCLEAR

(AN ULCER)* – this was obvious I thought

20 Seems an alternative in a body (2,5)
EN MASSE

(SEEMS AN)*

22 Churn-fller’s passport, say, following a lot back (9)
DAIRY MAID

ID (passport) following A MYRIAD (lot) reversed – nice construction!

23 Duff consumer? He’ll be back! (5)
HOMER

Homer Simpson drinks Duff Beer

24 Gloomy doctor takes year off (6)
DREARY

DR (doctor) YEAR*

25 Coding system for consumers – loads caught out (1,7)
E-NUMBERS

ENcUMBERS (loads) missing E

1 In conflict we laid down guns, finally ousted by monarch, hurt? (7,7)
WALKING WOUNDED

(WE LAID DOWN GUNs/K)* with K (king, monarch) replacing S (last of guns)

2 Inform about nuclei undergoing fission (4,2)
CLUE IN

NUCLEI*

3 Wrapping not quite 8, also so long? (6-2)
TOODLE-OO

TOO (also) wrapping OODLEs (8 across) not finished

4 Cooking ingredient came for errant sailors (5,2,6)
CREAM OF TARTAR

(CAME FOR)* and TAR TAR (two sailors)

5 I’ll get caught by rabid pet on tiptoe (6)
POINTE

I (will be) caught by (PET ON)*

6 Relies on farcical setting for play (8)
ELSINORE

(RELIES ON)* – setting for Hamlet

9 I mean to say Bless You x (4,2,3,5)
SIGN OF THE CROSS

double definition – traditionally X is how illiterates sign documents

10 Dug-out not required for this generator’s activity (6-7)
BOTTLE FEEDING

cryptic definition – a dug is a breast, a generator is someone who has children

16 Runner restricts reformation of EEC fence (8)
RECEIVER

EEC* in RIVER (something that runs) – a receiver of stolen goods

17 General hitch overcome by woman of the night (3,5)
TOM THUMB

THUMB (hitch hike) behind (overcome by) TOM (a prostitute) – General Tom Thumb was Stage name of Charles Stratton, circus performer

19 Finally, three year old breaks before donkey (6)
EEYORE

threE (final letter) Y (year) O (old) in ERE (before) – donkey from Winnie-the-Pooh

21 Congress takes in space and time: material for terrorists (6)
SEMTEX

EM (space, printing) T (time) in SEX (congress) – explosive favoured by terrorists

*anagram

7 Responses to “Financial Times 14,212 by IO”

1. Rowland says:

It is O getting the ‘no’. So you are right! But it could have been ALL OURS anyway, so not the best trick. I thought some here didn’t make a lor of sense, but still an enjoyable run-out.

Thanks,
    Rowly.

2. Pelham Barton says:

Thanks Io for an enjoyable crossword and PeeDee for the blog. Favourite clue 22ac and I needed PeeDee’s explanation for 23ac and 10dn.

7ac: I agree with PeeDee’s explanation (I agree with all of the others as well, but he expressed doubt about this one).

13ac: My one grumble with this crossword. Nero was a real person, but the story of him fiddling while Rome burnt is almost certainly untrue: at best he will have played a plucked stringed instrument such as a lyre. To me, that means we need some indication of the dubious nature of the definition.

5dn: When solving, I wondered if “on” was doing double duty here, but Chambers 2008 gives pointe as “the extreme tip of the toe, or the position of standing on it”, so “tiptoe” is a sufficient definition.

3. crypticsue says:

Having had an enforced week off from crosswords/reading anything at all, I did wonder how I was going to cope with an IO on my first day back but I didn’t have any problems at all and enjoyed myself into the bargain. Always a fan of a crossword where my favourite miserable donkey makes an appearance.

Thanks to IO for entertaining me greatly while proving that my brain still works and to PeeDee for the blog.

4. mike04 says:

Thanks very much, Io and PeeDee.

In 13ac, I’m wondering about the definition ‘Real’ and the solution ‘NON-ZERO’.
    In mathematics, zero is a real number:

5. Pelham Barton says:

mike04@4 re 13ac: The first definition of real in Chambers 2011 is “actually existing”. Try a sentence like “there is a real effect”: you could replace “real” by “non-zero” in that.

6. mike04 says:

Thanks, Pelham.

I should’ve considered ‘non-zero’ in the sense of ‘not equal to zero’.
    With hindsight, of course, it’s rather obvious!

7. PeeDee says:

Being a mathematician I had the same concerns as you mike, but then on second thoughts came to the same conclusion as Pelham. I had written some comemnts in the original blog to that effect, but then for some completely numpty reason I acidentally deleted it and ha to write another more rushed attempt.