Guardian Prize Puzzle 25,843 by Paul

Posted by PeeDee on January 19th, 2013

PeeDee.

Enjoyable, inventive, topical and a little cheeky; Paul doing what he does best.

I pick 23, 24 and 16 as my favourites.  Thank you Paul.

1 Boy with great expectations owed extraordinary unknown quantity, shut up (4,4)
PIPE DOWN: PIP (boy, character from Great Expectations) OWED* and N (unkown quantity)

5 Reportedly spotted a hairy thing (6)
SPIDER: sounds like “spied a” (spotted a)

9,15 Junket by Labour leader and shadow chancellor in shorts and shirt, sportingly (8,5)
FOOTBALL STRIP: Michael FOOT and Ed BALLS (Labour politicians) going on a TRIP (junket)

10 Those helping young people in bureau, nice folk (6)
UNICEF: hidden in bureaU NICE Folk

12 Cut around lakes with hard blade on the farm (11)
PLOUGHSHARE: LOUGHS (lakes) with H (hard) in PARE (cut)

15 See 9
17 See 21

18 Still awaiting salesman to collect one carbon copy (9)
REPLICATE: REP LATE (still awaiting salesman) containing I (one) C (carbon)

19 Body suits the wrong way round, facing initially to the rear (5)
STIFF: FITS (suits) reversed and Facing (initial letter)

20 Spin round gradually at first, following someone in restaurant, alluring type (7,4)
SWEATER GIRL: SWIRL (spin) around Gradually (first letter) following EATER (someone in restaurant)

24 See 23

25 Temporary suspension gives a diva a change of heart (8)
ABEYANCE: A BEYONCE (singer, diva) changing O to A (heart=middle)

26,7 One causing friction with sweetheart, finds plaything all soaped up? (6,4)
RUBBER DUCK: RUBBER (one causing friction) with DUCK (sweetheart)

27 Generous society lacking cobblers? (8)
SELFLESS: S (society) ELFLESS (lacking elves, cobblers)

1 Struggle to overtake backmarkers in particular, hungry for some pie! (4,6)
PUFF PASTRY: PUFF PAST (struggle to overtake backmarkers) hungRY (backmarkers, a particular instance of) – also backmarkers of particularlR, hungrY – thanks to Simon S for this

2 Still sexy, old fruit having bottom wiped in pub (10)
PHOTOGRAPH: HOT (sexy) O (old) GRAPe (fruit) missing botttom letter in PH (public house, pub)

3 Base lifted, little word from caveman having to fix a computer (5)
DEBUG: BED (base) reversed and UG (word from caveman)

4 Satellite dish under woodwork for starters, possibly in a good position (4-8)
WELL SITUATED: anagram of SATELLITE with Dish Under Woodwork (starters of)

6 Dynamic Duo seen with person, slow and clumsy (9)
PONDEROUS: anagram of DUO with PERSON

7 See 26

8 One necked by an Elizabethan that’s uncultured, we hear (4)
RUFF: sounds like “rough” (uncultured) – worn around the neck by Elizabethans

11 Hollywood legend having come round dined on top of tall furniture item (7,5)
GATELEG TABLE: ATE (dined) with LEG (on, side in cricket) T (top of tall) in Clark GABLE (Hollywood legend)

13 Ability to recover home without deposit initially left one to invest (10)
RESILIENCE: L (left) I (one) in RESIdENCE (home) missing D (first of deposit)

14 Value fuse, unless blown (10)
USEFULNESS: anagram of FUSE UNLESS

16 23 24 in this event is logical, not entirely in the pink (9)
PUISSANCE: IS SANe (logical, not entirely) in PUCE (pink) – a showjumping event, ‘arabs’ are horses

21,17 9 15 (3,2,3,6)
ROY OF THE ROVERS: cartoon strip about a footballer

22 Old leader gets around houses (4)
TSAR: housed by geTS ARound

23,24 Modern revolution grips Bahrain, internationally hated leaders getting ousted all over the place (4,6)
ARAB SPRING: anagram (all over the place) of GRIPS BAhRAiN missing IH (leading letters of internationally and hated)

16 Responses to “Guardian Prize Puzzle 25,843 by Paul”

1. NeilW says:

Thanks, PeeDee. Highly entertaining from Paul, thank you. I particularly liked PUISSANCE for the cleverness of the cryptic definition.

By the way, you’ve missed out LEG (on, as a cricket term) in the middle of 11.

2. molonglo says:

Thanks PeeDee. Towards the end this got pretty awkward, with things I’d never heard of like the 16 event, and the next clue which had me wondering if it was a play on the numbers nine and fifteen until I googled ‘Roy of the Rogers’ in desperation and wound the whole thing up.

3. Smoz says:

Enjoyed this. Quite challenging. Last in was ‘Roy of the Rovers’. Kept thinkinging ‘Day at the …….’ Can anyone enlighten me about what a ‘sweater girl’ was ( or is )? Sounds sort of Fifties and yet we have a reference to Beyonce in the same puzzle. Is she a sweater girl?

4. tupu says:

Thanks PeeDee and Paul

Very enjoyable puzzle. Lots of ticks including 12a, 26a, 27a, 1d, 2d, 4d, 8d,

5. PeeDee says:

I had not heard of sweater girl either but it is in the dictionary. I think it would imply homely nowadays rather than sexy.

6. PeeDee says:

Thanks NeilW, fixed now.

7. paul8hours says:

Thanks paul & PeeDee.
    Arab Spring was cleverly clued. Put ‘sweater girl’ into google image and you will see that ‘homely’ was not the ides, then or now !

8. RCWhiting says:

Thanks all
    paul8 is absolutely right.
    Examples from my youth would be Jayne Mansfield, Diana Dors and of course Marilyn.
    Posed in a tight sweater these beauties left nothing to my adolescent imagination.

9. Davy says:

The actress Lana Turner was known as “the sweater girl” although apparently she disliked this term of reference.
    Good crossword Paul, lots of fun.

10. Giovanna says:

Thanks, Paul and PeeDee for the fun – just the ticket in the wintry weather.

Roy of the Rovers brought back memories – boys comics were so much more fun than girls. Nothing equalled The Eagle!!

Happy memories of the Puissance events and the Harvey Smith – David Broome rivalry- from safety of armchair, of course!

Giovanna x

11. CGK says:

As a definition of ‘spider’ wouldn’t you say ‘hairy thing’ was on the wrong side of vague, even for Guardian setters? Wouldn’t ‘brown thing’ be about as precise?

I wouldn’t have written, but it comes on top of Paul’s ‘bow’ pronounced beau but meaning ‘front’ in 25,831–which at least attracted unconvincing attempts at justification.

(Hairy also means frightening, but I think implies associated danger, so doesn’t really work as an explanation.)

12. brucew_aus says:

Thanks Paul and PeeDee

Good level Prize puzzle in my opinion which took me a number of sittings to complete and found the SW corner, with the interlinked and overlapping clues, tough going. It was only the very clever clueing of 16 and 23,24 together with a very well disguised hidden TSAR that stopped me griping about it and admiring instead. Is it only me getting dimmer, or are the setters getting better with these hidden clues?

Struggled with the local knowledge with ROY OF THE ROVERS but smiled at the wittiness of it after Mrs Google helped inform me of this comic.

Parsed 11d incorrectly, going with the coarser ATE LEG (as in leg of lamb) to mean ‘dined on’ – nice to see the more civil version!

13. Simon S says:

Thanks Paul and PeeDee – I did very badly with this one..

PUFF PAST (struggle to overtake backmarkers) particulaR hungY (backmarkers of both)?

Simon ô¿ô

14. Simon S says:

Oops, should have read, pasted and sent before finishing, sorry!

Thanks Paul and PeeDee – I did very badly with this one..

Isn’t 1D PUFF PAST (struggle to overtake) particulaR hungY (backmarkers of both)?

Simon ô¿ô

15. PeeDee says:

Hi Simon S, I had not thought of that – I think it works well both ways. I will add your explanation into the blog too.

16. fearsome says:

thanks PeeDee and Paul
    I’d gone along with Simon’s version of Puff Pastry,
    Puissance I only got with help and then didn’t fully parse it
    I rather liked sweater girl