Everyman No. 3458 (13th January)

Posted by The Trafites on January 20th, 2013

The Trafites.

Lorraine:  Good morning to you all,

I romped through this, this morning, took approximately three quarters of an hour to complete.

Some lovely clues, some of which made me smile when I solved them; 10ac, 12ac and 20ac in particular.

I trust that none of you had too much trouble solving this puzzle, as I believe it was a typical cryptic for beginners (as it should be).

Big, big thanks to Everyman, very enjoyable.

1. Brewing agent may be obtained from Mediterranean country shortly (4)
MALT MALT(a)
3. Pairs a pal’s circulated for valuations (10)
APPRAISALS (PAIRS A PAL’S*)
9. Type of broad-leaved weed in harbour (4)
DOCK dd
10. Does a full dish of ravioli constitute this? (6,4)
SQUARE MEAL cd
12. Do as promised, get rid of virtually all of blades? (4,4,4)
KEEP ONES WORD pun: KEEP ONE SWORD [as opposed to all of them!]
15. One who buys nearly clean jumper (9)
PURCHASER PUR(e)+CHASER
17. In a week, wood flooded (5)
AWASH A+W+ASH
18. Patriarch, one rejected by church (5)
ENOCH (ONE<)+CH
19. Fool’s heartless gibe about one aide (9)
ASSISTANT (ASS’S+TA(u)NT) around I
20. Two members making a large amount of money (2,3,3,1,3)
AN ARM AND A LEG cd
24. Injudicious act giving cheek about king (10)
IMPRUDENCE IMPUDENCE around R(ex)
25. Collection of reminiscences about northern girl (4)
ANNA ANA around N
26. Indecisive leader in industry runs firm (10)
IRRESOLUTE I(ndustry)+R+RESOLUTE
27. Attempt from bunker, initially with wood (4)
BASH B(unker)+ASH

1. Damaging allegations over captain and fish (10)
MUDSKIPPER MUD+SKIPPER
2. What key sportsman could use for a change? (6,4)
LOCKER ROOM cd
4. Indignation is shown when card game’s cut short (5)
PIQUE PIQUE(t)
5. What delay motorists? Stupid arrows do round centre of Tokyo (9)
ROADWORKS (ARROWS DO*) around (to)K(yo)
6. Form of refreshment in America coeds concocted (3-5,4)
ICE-CREAM SODA (AMERICA COEDS*)
7. Elderly French artist almost set up (4)
AGED (DEGA(s)<)
8. Old sailor’s dry wit (4)
SALT dd
11. To perform a social duty for others, preside at awards ceremony? (2,3,7)
DO THE HONOURS dd
13. Film Spaniard’s house on one of the Costas (10)
CASABLANCA CASA+[costa ]BLANCA
14. Snapshot in public house got Harpo upset (10)
PHOTOGRAPH (GOT HARPO*) in PH
16. Wear still to be treated in part of building (9)
STAIRWELL (WEAR STILL*)
21. A Caledonian racecourse (5)
ASCOT A+SCOT
22. Married in one, a short skirt (4)
MINI M+IN+I
23. Box in last of fights on equal footing (4)
SPAR (fight)S+PAR

5 Responses to “Everyman No. 3458 (13th January)”

1. Bamberger says:

Stuck at an event that I didn’t want to be at, I was doing this as discreetly as I could and solved it in full though I got totally stuck a few times and had to pay attention to what I was supposed to be paying attention to.Once I came back to this, for reasons I have never understood, the answers were obvious.

2. Hughr says:

The first time I have completed an Everyman (have come v close a few times).

The only clue I didn’t fully understand was 25A. I didn’t understand how/why the collection of reminiscences bit led to ANA to put around the N from northern.

3. Davy says:

Well done Hugh on completing your first Everyman. Ana is seemingly a strange word as follows :-

an·a
    1 [an-uh, ah-nuh]
    noun
    a collection of miscellaneous information about a particular subject, person, place, or thing.
    an item in such a collection, as an anecdote, a memorable saying, etc.
    Origin:
    1720–30; independent use of -ana

4. Stella says:

I had the same doubt as Hugh – unfortunately, Davy’s explanation is not very enlightening :-)

Nevertheless, fun puzzle, especially the clue for 5d

Thanks Lorraine and Everyman

5. Hughr says:

Thanks for the explanation of 25A. It’s a word I’d never heard of. Knowing that there was an N in there from Northern,that the last letter was an A from the down clue and suspecting that the answer was going to be ANNA, I should have looked in a dictionary to see if there was a word ANA……which of course there is!

Hugh