Independent 8196 by Quixote

Posted by flashling on January 21st, 2013

flashling.

It’s that Monday morning feeling again today, slightly delayed as I’d forgotten it was my turn…..

The usual fine sound stuff from Quixote but I just don’t get 9dn

Across:

1 DISTRICT D (Germany) + 1 + STRICT
5 STRAIT Hom of STRAIGHT
10 PARAGON PA + RAG (week) + ON
11 ATELIER A + (ho)TELIER
12 EVOLUTION (r)EVOLUTION
13 TEARS T(ime) + EARS
14 SPARE BEDROOM [BOARDER MOPES]* Nicely fitting anag
18 PATHOGENESIS [AS THE GP ONE IS]*
21 ANDRÉ Hidden but which André? Previn, Watts or Tchaikovsky or other?
22 MORSE CODE [RECOM(p)OSED]*
23 LOOK SEE OK in LOSE + E (low exam grade)
24 HEIRESS IRE in (Rudolf) HESS
25 DESIRE SIR “drowned” in DEE
26 EDITIONS E + DI(c)TIONS
Down:
1 DIPPER RIPPED with top and tail swapped
2 SORROW SOR(e) + ROW
3 REGIUS PROFESSOR [SUPER FORGER IS SO]*
4 CONCIERGE [COERCING + (employe)E]*
6 TREATED LIKE DIRT Cryptic Def
7 AGITATOR A + G.I. + TAT + O.R.
8 TIRESOME TIRE + SO + ME
9 BARN Sorry can’t see this, bit brain dead today… BAR(e) +(i)N? Help please. [Thanks Sue #1]
15 BEE ORCHID OR in BEECH + I’D [Typo fixed thanks Paul A]
16 APPALLED A + P + PAL + LED
17 STUDIOUS STUD + 1 + U in O.S.
19 COME TO COMET + O(xygen)
20 VERSUS VERS(e) + U.S.
22 MEET Double def. As in (illegal) foxhunting and PROPER. Clue implies this is archaic but my dictionary doesn’t indicate this.

11 Responses to “Independent 8196 by Quixote”

1. crypticsue says:

A typical Quixote start to the week.

I think 9d might be BARREN (with nothing in) with the RE (about) demolished or taken away.

Thanks to Q and Flashling too.

2. Paul A says:

Typo – the tree in 15a is BEECH

3. NealH says:

9 lost me completely and barn was little more than a tentative guess. I also wasn’t totally sure on 22. Fortunately, when I typed them into the online version, it flashed up the message to say the puzzle was completed – otherwise, I’d still have been staring at 9.

4. allan_c says:

I too got 9dn without fully understanding it. And for 22dn I initially had MOOT, thinking of the Moot Halls one finds in various rural towns, which used to be places of assembly (maybe still are) though I couldn’t see how ‘illegal’ fitted in. But thanks to the online check button I then realised it had to be MEET, enabling me to get LOOK-SEE.

Thanks, Quixote and flashling.

5. allan_c says:

… and the clue to 19d was quite subtle with its ‘minimal oxygen’ since, strictly speaking, the chemical symbol O refers to a single atom (not even a molecule, which is O2) of oxygen – and you can’t get more minimal gthan that!

6. Quixote says:

Thanks for feedback. I’ve heard this query about oxygen before. O is the symbol for the element oxygen and there is no need to go into all this atom/molecule discussion. I may be subtle sometimes, but not on this occasion!

Thanks, flashling. As Sue said, a typical Quixote – most of it went in nicely, but I too was stuck on BARN. Great surface reading, but ‘big building’ for BARN? Well, I suppose so, although there are some barns near me that aren’t that big.

However, DIPPER, SPARE BEDROOM and TREATED LIKE DIRT were very good.

And I put MEET straight in. ‘It was meet that we should make merry, and be glad: for this thy brother was dead, and is alive again; and was lost, and is found.’ Luke Chapter 15 in the King James Bible, since you ask. So I guess that counts as ‘archaic’.

I do sometimes worry about the random stuff that is in my head. Anyway, thank you to Q for today’s puzzle.

8. Bertandjoyce says:

You’re not the only one K’s D! As far as barns are concerned, Bert says that some large spaces or buildings are described as ‘a barn of a building’. However, Joyce is also concerned about what stuff is in his head as well!

Thanks to flashling and Quixote.

9. Jan says:

Thanks for the blog Flashling. I really enjoy Mr.M’s puzzles.

K’s D @7

I do sometimes worry about the random stuff that is in my head.

“It is meet and right so to do.” (Book of Common Prayer) :)

Thanks to Crypicsue for that take on BARN – how obscure, unusual for Quixote.

I’m still wondering how ‘American band’ is TIRE. Is this a US spelling of tyre and if so how is it a band?

10. Jan says:

Would you like t, Crypticsue?;) Sorry, the edit started deleting as I inserted!

11. flashling says:

Hi Jan yes a tyre/tire is a band on a wheel, especially the old cartwheel type.