Independent 8198/Dac

Posted by John on January 23rd, 2013

John.

The usual excellent puzzle from Dac. No problems that I could see — some might object to his use of r = recipe, but that seems to me to be quite OK — it’s simply an abbreviation that one has to learn.

1 JUMPED UP — jumped = started, up = at university
5 A(TT)LEE
9 NUNEATON — (aunt one n)*
10 SPOOLS — sloops with the loop reversed — until I looked it up, I thought a spoor was a type of boat of which I hadn’t heard and that this was spoors with the r becoming l [No actually K's D I had this wrong, stupidly thinking that it was only the loop that was reversed, can't think why, it's obviously the whole thing reversed]
11 THIRTYSOMETHING — (they might not ris{k})*
13 OREAD — (adore)*
15 RUN AFTER — RU (fan)rev. ter{race} — Dac didn’t need ‘as people leave’ because ‘Ter’ is an abbreviation for ‘Terrace’ (as in streets), but there is nothing wrong with the clue in this form: perhaps he thought the surface was a little better
17 OR(BIT)ALS

4 U NOB SERVANT — a bedder is a servant who makes beds in a Cambridge college
6 TIP STAFFS — Staffordshire
7 L(EON)INE
8 AmericaN GIS NEarby — hidden reversed
12 MINISTERIAL — (email isn’t)* around RI
14 DO IN G(D)OWN
16 TEA DANCE — also known as a thé dansant — cha = tea and you might do a cha-cha at a tea dance so this is possibly an &lit., with a nod in the direction of a cha-cha-cha, although Dac has been very precise and correct with his hyphens here
18 R OAST ER — r = recipe, take, as on a prescription, an abbreviation that used to be confined to barred puzzles but nowadays seems to appear more and more often in blocked ones
20 B(L)OATER
21 SCORES — 2 defs
23 ELGIN — (ni{g}gle)rev.

8 Responses to “Independent 8198/Dac”

1. eimi says:

As I know what’s coming up later this month, it’s fair to say that this is my Indy puzzle of the month. Donk’s footiefest was a Tour de Force, but this just pips it, in my opinion. This was Dac at his best, showing that simple elegant clueing that makes solving his puzzles such a pleasure, with 11 being my clue of the month.

2. NealH says:

This one ws a real tour de force from Dac with some great clues. Excellent surfaces as ever – hard to find fault with clues like 14. It took me a while to spot the anagram in 11.

When Kirsty invites me to the Desert Island, it’ll be a compendium of Dac puzzles that I’ll choose as my book (I’ll be leaving the Bible behind, since you ask). But while the puzzle/clue of the month is a bit of fun, I won’t be voting myself – it’s apples and oranges, imho. Want bums, tits and toilet humour? Try Punk. Want to have your general knowledge stretched? Eimi’s your man. Want to be taken to within an inch of your cruciverbal life? Wait for Anax or Nimrod. And I could go on.

Anyway, this was a fine puzzle, and certainly elegantly clued. THIRTYSOMETHING is brilliant, but flawed. Thirtysomethings are barely out of adolescence, I’ll have you know, from a perspective a decade or so on from that time of life. Fifty is the new thirty, no?

Thanks to Dac and John.

Sorry, meant to add that SPOOLS is just a complete reversal of SLOOPS, isn’t it? Maybe that’s what John meant.

5. Bertandjoyce says:

And there was us thinking that 60s was the new 30?

Enjoyable puzzle but actually not one to strike us as puzzle of the month. It’s dificult really to choose as it often depends on the circumstances around the actual solve. This one we completed over a number of sessions as we were both busy and we do think that makes a difference. We often like smiley moments and there weren’t any here just good clueing as always with Dac.

Thanks John for the blog and Dac for the entertainment.

6. flashling says:

Re Eimi #1, well I agree the surfaces and clues are all fantastic, top notch Dac, problem is he always does and because of that it doesn’t really stand out, Dac probably produces the best crosswords in the Indy, but that leads to the problem with these “awards” that Dac’s excellent stuff won’t be recognised.

Cheers John as ever.

7. Rowland says:

Didn’t get on yesterday, too busy, but just really here today to chime with others. Great puzzle from The Smooth-Meister!!

Cheers
    Rowly.

8. allan_c says:

Same here, Rowly. The recycled offering from Dac in yesterday’s i was a cracker, too!

50, K’s D? 60, B&J? It’s 70 imho!